From 'Fanning the Embers', published 1971, Range Rider Reps, Miles City, Montana
By Marguerite Ames Huckins
Ord Ames
Charlie Scofield and Ord Ames
Ord Clinton Ames was born at Lawn, Nebr., April 10, 1889, the first child of Clinton and Margaret B. Irion Ames. He was named for Ord, Nebr. His mother often said she gave her children short names so they wouldn't be nicknamed. The other children were Buel, Ilah and Glen. An entry in my grandmother's diary under date of April 10, 1892, says, " Ordie three years old today. I put him in pants."
Dad was a true range rider. H covered many miles in a wagon and horseback. In later years and while traveling around the countryside with dad along, it was amazing the buttes, gullies, creeks and numerous land marks that he could relate to so many interesting incidents.
The Ames family moved by wagon in 1898 to the Big Horn Basin country in Wyoming where they lived for about a year and then left Otto, Wyo., and came to Hutton, Mont., near the Spear-O ranch on the Rosebud and Corral Creeks.
Dad related the following account to Eddie Huckins in 1957 for a paper Eddie was writing when in grade school in Broadus:
Clint Ames traded and bought ponies from the Indians. The fall of 1899 Ord, then ten years old, with his dad took 50 Crow ponies from Hutton to Lead, S.D. They had a four-horse team and mess wagon. Ord rode "Nigger Baby" and he was sold at Lead, too. On this trip their meals consisted of hardtack, bacon and corn. Their route was by Scott, Pilgrim and Willow Creeks, through the Bear Lodge country, and Beulah, Wyo. He mentioned having seen Oscar Broaddus and Myrt Edwards as they passed through the area. There were no buffalo roaming the area, at least they didn't see any. He said a Billy Porter was with them and that he had hauled logs for the first store in Ashland built by Batey. The ponies were sold and as Clint Ames decided not to come back to Hutton, Ord was put on a train at Edgemont, S.D., and sent back to Crow Agency. He then caught a ride on a freight wagon hauling groceries out to the Indian Agency.
Also during this interview dad spoke of Belle Fourche, S.D., that at one time it shipped out more cattle than any other place in the world. He recalled seeing 7,000 to 8,000 cattle waiting to be loaded. The loading facilities consisted of five chutes and they could load five cars at a time. Many trains at that time went east with nothing but cattle cars. It took about ten days to make the trip from Powder River to Belle Fourche with cattle. Belle Fourche had board sidewalks, a saloon and two or three livery barns.
The family returned to Nebraska for a while but were back in Montana a few years later coming with the Iron brothers and locating on Foster Creek at the site of the present Carey ranch in Custer county.
Ord went to work when he was 17 for John Holt on the LO ranch on Mizpah Creek. During his range-riding he worked for many and saw a lot of country. He worked on the 79 Ranch for Riley Tyler at Stacey (1913), A.O. Pemberton Sr. (1914), Laurel Leaf (1917-18) and Phil Keffler on Bay Horse Creek (1919) while at the same time doing a little homesteading on his own on Buttermilk Creek. From 1925-27 he worked in the oil fields at Midwest, Wyo., and near Borger, Tex. He returned to Montana about 1929, spending most of his time to 1933 taking cattle to "the road" for other people In 1933 he went back to work at the LO ranch then owned by the McIntosh Bros. In 1939 he was working for Burt Orchard at Big Trails, Wyo., 1942 for the Three D owned by John McNierney, 1944 for Van Savage north of Forsyth, 194546 for Harold Burt north of Terry, 1947 for Ed Love. In the early 50's, he worked for Ethel Taylor and others out of Kaycee, Wyo., and later for Cofield and Gayhart north of Forsyth. He spent one winter on their ranch at Marfa, Tex. His last ranch work was for Sam Smith and Vic Rue out of Broadus and he took his last job in 1958 as deputy stock inspector. Is it any wonder after repeatedly scanning the horizons and sitting the saddle the many years that he did, that he knew this country? His wife Nellie often worked with him on these ranches, doing the kitchen work when she could be spared from the duties of raising the children.
He married Nellie Irene Yarger, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Art Yarger, in Alliance, Nebr., April 8, 1914. Their children are Marguerite, relator of this story, Mrs. Leland Cook of Broadus, Mont., and Delbert Ames of Forsyth, Mont. Ord passed away in April, 1959, and Nellie in 1964, both in Miles City. They are buried in Broadus. Ord's sister Ilah Ames Linville is living on her ranch east of Broadus
Ord had an adventuresome and interesting life even though rugged at times, because his heyday was at the transition era between cattle trail days and the days of the open range to fences and cattle trains. He knew many of the noted men of the Trail days, one of them being Bob Fudge, and learned a lot from them and enjoyed their stories and experiences. He was a great visitor, could talk to anyone, liked people and learned much from them.