From 'Fanning the Embers', published 1971, Range Rider Reps, Miles City, Montana
I came to Wyoming in the Spring of 1892. 1 went to work with the C. & S. Railroad with a survey crew out of Douglas, Wyoming. From there we went to Buffalo, Wyo. to Sheridan, Wyo. to Forsyth, Mont.
Later I worked for Bob Selway until 1903. Then I went to work for the Spear outfit. At this time, they were one of the largest cow outfits in Wyoming. I was told that they paid taxes on 150,000 head. They shipped train loads of longhorn steers every fall. I remember one time when we went to Aravoda, Wyo., with 2,200 longhorn steers. It took two days to load them. They branded 1,500 calves after supper. Their main ranch was on the mouth of Bitter Creek; it ended at Powder River.
I was the youngest cowboy that ever ran an outfit that I knew of in Montana. I brought one of the last trailherds from Wyoming to Montana, 30 days on the trail.
I was in charge of a boatload of 78 head of breeding horses, shipped to China in 1902 on Transport Dickes Lines. There were four cowboys including myself.
The Spear outfit about that time bought the U Cross ranches at Clearmont, Wyo. Andy Cubberson and I broke 78 head of broncs that spring at the U Cross Ranch. We got $40 a month.
Then I came to Montana and went to Forsyth. I had a job promised but didn't make connections. So, Miles City, Mont., was next. The boss at the Star Livery Barn told me that there was a man in town by the name of J. R. Hutchinson. He had just come up from the CY outfit to take over the SY spread of Pumpkin Creek, five miles above Beebe. W. E. Harris was the owner of this spread. We loaded into the buckboard the next morning, Hutchinson's wife, Dorothy, Buz and myself.
Johnnie Moore was kind of a straw-boss. He told me to dab a rope on a nice-looking black. Hutch had asked me if I could ride any mean ones and I told him no. Nic Monte had been there for quite some time and knew that the horse was mean. He told me so. I mounted him and threw a leg over and stuck a spur in his shoulder and went to work on him. Nic was tickled when he saw I could ride. We are good friends to this day.
We started on the Spring round-up at the old Payne Ranch on Ash Creek which runs into the Powder River. The next year, I started work at the same place on Ash Creek at the Payne Ranch. That evening after supper, Hutch said he wanted to talk to me. He told me that he wanted me to run the wagon. I said no and that he should give it to one of the older hands, but I was his wagon boss. I ran wagon for them for ten years until he closed out. Diamond A from Dakota bought the ranch and I ran wagon a year for them. I brought four train loads of Southern steers in two different trips to the ranch.
Hutch went to the South and bought 7,500 yearlings billed for Moorecroft, Wyo.. I re-billed 3,500 to Miles City. Nic Monte received them and turned them loose on Pumpkin Creek. I trailed 4,000 head to Spring Creek Ranch. There were eight cowboys, a cook, a horse wrangler, a night hawk and myself.
Now I am retired and living in Boise, Idaho.