From 'Fanning the Embers', published 1971, Range Rider Reps, Miles City, Montana
By Margaret Bailey Broadus
William Broadus Jr. was born Aug. 20, 1906, at Moberly, Mo. He was the oldest of the family of Mr. and Mrs. William Broadus Sr. of Broadus, Mont. He and his mother came one year after his birth to their home on Powder River, 17 miles south of the townsite of Broadus.
His first day at school he went with his beautiful blond curls but the first evening at home these curls vanished, once and for all.
en he was nine John Burgess, a neighbor, left his Model T Ford at the ranch while he went to Miles City with Bill's Folks. Mrs. John Woster, Mrs. Broadus's mother, was visiting so Bill decided to take his grandmother, sister Elenor and brother Haston for a ride.
They survived, but the grandmother said, "My, I thought we would all be killed." They arrived safely home after a ride in the Model T.
When Bill was in the eighth grade his parents purchased a home in Miles City and they moved in for school every fall. He graduated from Custer County High in 1925 and then attended a military training school in Salt Lake City for two years. Then he took up the trade of plumbing and went to the Milwaukee shops and served his apprenticeship.
He was an old-time friend of the Hi Farnum family of Miles City. He was appointed deputy sheriff under Joe Sullivan. He worked as Special Agent for the Northern Pacific Railway, located at Forsyth, Mont., and was also deputized in Rosebud county under Sheriff Patterson. He worked there for two years and then my father, Henry Bailey, wanted us to come out to the ranch and work with them and build up our own ranch. So we moved out to the Rosebud. We were married in Miles City Nov. 8, 1929.
Bill took flying lessons during the 1940's and was about ready to solo when he was stricken with a heart condition. It was five years before the areonautics doctor would let him fly and by then he was out of the notion.
He was appointed as State Deputy Stock Inspector for this community. He also was honored by being a member of the Selective Service Board of Rosebud county. His main objective was being a stockman and rancher.
On Nov. 8, 1966, we went to visit his brother Haston and family in Havre. Haston was running for Sheriff of Hill County. He won with a landslide and as they returned to Haston's home in Havre, Bill was fatally stricken with a heart attack. I chartered a plane from Havre to Miles City and the funeral services were held in Forsyth; Rev. Fr. Fabian, an old-time friend of Bill, officiated. He is buried in the Lee Cemetery near the ranch home that he loved.
Hugh, his son, is taking over the ranch.