From 'Echoing Footsteps', published 1967, Powder River County Extension Homemakers Council
By George Daniels Jr.
My grandfather, George W. Daniels, came to Montana in 1883 from Des Moines, Iowa, driving wagons and cattle from there. They got to what was old Beebe on Pumpkin Creek on July 4, 1883.
From there they went to the mouth of Dwyer Creek, which runs into Big Pumpkin Creek at Bill Gaskills. They stayed there that winter. The next year, 1884, they moved to Little Pumpkin Creek on the present Kolka ranch where they built a house, barn, milk house, etc.
Grandpa had quite a dairy for those times. He milked 50 to 60 cows. He had a cooling vat in the spring house, put the milk in five gallon cans to cool, and for the cream to rise, then skimmed it by hand. Then they churned the cream in a fifty gallon wooden barrel, run by a horse. Every two weeks Grandad took a load of butter to Miles City to sell.
My Grandad was not one to stay anywhere for long at a time, though. He had been born in New York State. When the Civil War broke out he enlisted in the Federal Army and went through the war along with two brothers, one of whom died in a Confederate prison.
After the war he came to Minnesota where my father was born at Granite Falls, along with several brothers and sisters. From there he went to Tennessee. But after the war Northerners were not too welcome so he went to Des Moines, Iowa, and lived there until they came out here.
He stayed here until 1890. Then he got interested in a venture in Old Mexico. So he loaded up and took off for Mexico with all the kids that would go. However, those that were old enough to look after themselves stayed. They were my father, Uncle Bert, Uncle Henry, Aunt Etta, Aunt Ella, and Aunt Julia.
Aunt Ella married Albert Ferris, Aunt Etta married Charlie Coon, and Aunt Julia married Billie Winters.
Uncle Frank died in Mexico from typhoid fever and Uncle Charley drowned in Mexico. So by then Grandad was ready to come back to the United States. He came back to Washington State and settled on Whidbey Island, and lived there until 1911. He died in Pinehurst, Washington in 1914 at the age of 87 years.
There are still posts with holes drilled in them where Daniels had built rail fences on Daniels Creek.