From 'Echoing Footsteps', published 1967, Powder River County Extension Homemakers Council
By Andrus Tyler, with additions by Earvin Collins
The C. F. Suepke family was still living in Germany when William was born there in 1848. After the death of his mother, Henrietta (Olland) Suepke, which occured while she was on a sleigh riding party when a train struck the sleigh, the remaining Suepke family migrated to the United States, first settling in Wisconsin in 1866. William spent a few years fishing and hunting, then went to Minneapolis.
William Suepke married Miss Regina Henning, a native of Minn. Her father was H. F. Henning, whose story was told earlier in this book.
After his marriage, William stayed in Minnesota and engaged in the mercantile business, and then for eleven years was occupied in buying wheat. In 1893 he came to Montana and started ranching on Liscomb Creek. His father-in-law, Mr. H. F. Henning, had migrated to Montana in 1880 and had built up a sheep ranch there on Liscomb Creek, but died in 1893. Later the Suepkes moved to a ranch on Little Pumpkin Creek that they had added to their holdings.
In the early days when the Suepkes were living on Liscomb Creek, the Indians were supposed to be confined to the reservation, although they sometimes wandered away from it. One day some ten or fifteen of them rode up to the house where Mrs. Suepke was alone with the children. Of course they were frightened, not knowing what the Indians might have in mind, and the children all scampered off to hide under the bed. The mother steeled herself to venture out to learn what the Indians could be looking for, only to find out that all they wanted was a drink, of water. What a relief!
The Henning and Suepke outfit always set a long table for 18 or 20 people whether that many were there or not, for anyone who happened to drop in was always welcome to come in and join them for a meal. In those days, when strangers rode in, nobody ever asked what their names were or where they were from. They were welcomed into the home, but the visitors always took off their guns and hats and washed up before going to the table.
No doors were ever locked anywhere in this part of the country. If nobody was home, a person was welcome to go in and fix a meal, feed his horse, and stay as long as they pleased. Before they left, it was an unwritten law of courtesy that they wash up their dishes, fill the wood box, and leave the kindling ready for the next meal.
To Mr. and Mrs. William Suepke the following children were born: Annie married Wilber Wasmut. Emma married W. J. (Billy) Glenn who was the foreman of the Horkan ranch for several years. He ran the Pumkin Creek Pool for four or five years. They had four children-Frances, first married Cecil Amick, is now Mrs. Stahle of Powell, Wyoming; Bill, is married and now runs a cow outfit in Harlem, Montana; Ruby is married to John Stebner and lives in Powell, Wyoming; and Clifford (Dick) is in Nogales, Arizona. He works for a cow outfit and also writes items for a western magazine.
Lillie married Bert Weaver, a carpenter who contracted and built many homes in Miles City.
Alma married Edward Collins and is covered under that story.
Hattie and Bill were twins. Hattie married Henry Immish, a foreman on the Milwaukee Railroad in Miles City for a number of years. Later they moved to Provo, Utah, and finished raising their family.
Bill ranched on Liscomb Creek for years, married, and later moved to Seattle, where he was a mechanic working for the government.
The Suepkes also reared George Bonner, who is covered under that story.
Mrs. William Suepke passed away in June 1920, and Mr. William Suepke in March 1934. Their deaths occurred in Miles City, Montana.