From 'Fanning the Embers', published 1971, Range Rider Reps, Miles City, Montana
By Walter B. Woodcock
Heywood Daly came to Montana in 1896 with Mrs. Payne, whose husband was the foreman at the Cross S Ranch on the Mizpah. The Cross S was another horse ranch owned by Dowson and Lindsay. They were typical Britishers.
After a year wrestling broncs at the Cross S, Daly got his first job punching cows for J. M. Holt. When asked what he knew about a cow, Daly said; "Nothing, but I'm willing to learn," and learn he did. Heywood Daly considered Holt an expert in the cattle business.
From the LO, Daly went to the Argentine to assist in the management of El Baqual Estancia, a cattle ranch owned by Waldron and Co., a member of the British Parliament. Daly said he'd never know business in such a large scale; his work was with his head. For exercise he played polo and every evening dressed for dinner.
After a year in South America he returned to Montana and bought the Bird Ranch at Knowlton. The ranch had been established by Adam Schlosser in 1882. While Daly owned it, it was a colorful ranch. Mrs. Cameron photographed it and the cowboys. Emmet Glidwell, foreman, was also manager of the round-up wagon for the Ismay pool. He was an old XIT cowboy, and so was Montana Bill Roberts, another Bird ranch hand.
Heywood Daly and his partner, Felix Gray, owned the general store at Knowlton. Of course, it is all gone now but in those days Knowlton was a town. It had a large population during the midsummer picnic. Especially so, on one occasion when Heywood Daly arranged for a circus to perform during the picnic.
They say Heywood Daly killed the last bear in open country and that was up in the Missouri River breaks. He was hunting early in the spring with Porcupine Jimmy when they saw a bear up at the head of a deep coulee. Heywood shot her as she was entering her den. Porcupine Jimmy got excited and wanted to hunt another one while this one was dying. But Heywood had no desire to see another bear, especially grizzly, and that was what he had shot. Heywood didn't like the idea of going away and leave her suffer even if she was a grizzly. Yet he wasn't about to enter her den. But after awhile, and all was quiet, Porcupine Jimmy went into the den. To get in, he had to go back of a ledge and then crawl over the bear. From inside, Porcupine Jimmy called for Heywood to come in. It was a tight squeeze. To get over the top of the bear, Heywood was lying flat on top of the bear with only an inch between him and the top of the den when the bear let out a thunderous gurgling growl. Heywood nearly killed himself before he realized that Porcupine Jimmy had kicked the bear in the stomach and caused the noise. The bear was dead.
Daly sold the Bird Ranch and moved to the Missouri River country. During the 30's the ranch was purchased by the government for innundation by Fort Peck Reservoir. Before retiring in Billings, Mr. Daly had a ranch at the base of the Crazy Mountains. He now lives at the St. John's Nursing Home in Billings.
He has a son, John, who is a commercial fisherman at Garden Bay, British Columbia, who was born while Mr. Daly and Muriel. his first wife, lived on the Bird Ranch. In later years he married Mary Isabella (Bella) Clark. She died in Billings on Sept. 10, 1964.