Dusting Off the Old Ones was published in 1961 by W. B. Clarke, Miles City, Montana.
Election Bets
This being an election year a story concerning an out of the ordinary election bet being paid off might not be amiss. The "daddy of them all," as far as the author can remember, was a bunch of three bets which were paid off at the same time in the fall of 1892. These bets were paid off with a parade up Main Street from the postoffice corner (which we believe was located in the Foster building at the time)--from there to the corner of Fifth and Main and then up Fifth to the Macqueen House, which was situated where the Macqueen Apartments stand today. We really don't know what the bets were about other than the outcome of the election--and that the losers paid off publicly. There are still quite a few folks living in Miles City who will remember some, if not all, of the "payors." Perhaps the story is best told by quoting from the Yellowstone Journal of November 15, 1892, which ran as follows:

"Yesterday afternoon the town was out in full force to witness the procession in payment of certain election bets. At 3:30 in the afternoon the Miles City band assembled at the postoffice corner and about a half an hour later the victors and the vanquished appeared ready for the march.

First came the band, playing its best, then came Larry Kendall, in full Indian costume from war bonnet to moccasins, armed with a huge war club and in full paint. Al Ireland (minus his mustache) came next, trundling John Coty in a handsome green wheelbarrow, while Coty sat complacently smoking a cigar about a foot long. Charley Sexton brought up the rear and was skillfully engineering a two-wheeled cart with Lieut. Gustave Adolphus Malden (colored) as its occupant. The Lieutenant was gaudily attired in a red and white striped suit, trimmed with sleigh bells, and wore a Cleveland hat, with the words "Harrison is in the Soup". He was armed with an old fashioned broadsword, and presented quite a spectacle.

Arriving at the corner of Main and Park a halt was made, and the bands played while Larry gave a few steps of the ghost dance. The march was then resumed and finally stopped at the hotel. Here Charley Ranninger appeared with his tomtom and red blanket. Casting his blanket on the ground, Charley beat the tomtom and Larry danced until both were thoroughly satisfied. Photographer Huffman appeared and took a good view of the band and several performers."