In the "can you believe this crap??" catagory.....
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4950) 12 years ago
This years Stella awards are as follows...Stella awards are for the most outlandish and successful lawsuits named after that elderly lady that sued MCDonalds for the scalding coffee that she had placed between her knees while driving (if memory serves me correctly)...

*SEVENTH PLACE*

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son.

* SIXTH PLACE *

Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles , California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

* FIFTH PLACE *

Terrence Dickson, of Bristol , Pennsylvania , who was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT days and survive on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental Anguish. Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish.

*FOURTH PLACE*

Jerry Williams, of Little Rock, Arkansas, garnered 4th Place in the Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.

* THIRD PLACE *

Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

*SECOND PLACE*

Kara Walton, of Claymont , Delaware sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000....oh, yeah, plus dental expenses.

* FIRST PLACE *

This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was: Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, who purchased new 32-foot Winnebago motor home On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down?
$1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.

Are we, as a society, getting more stupid....
or are more members of Congress serving on juries these days?
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3752) 12 years ago
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 12 years ago
Uh oh, Kyle. Now you're gonna get it.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17532) 12 years ago
Buzzkill!
supporter
Uh oh, I guess I better quit this joke stuff...I didn't check the facts again and just posted what I had read on another web site...Glad it isn't true tho....At least our court system isn't as screwed up as I was lead to believe...Thanks Kyle...
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6115) 12 years ago
Uh oh, Kyle. Now you're gonna get it.

Nah, Kyle's a homeboy.

Besides, he gets enough crap from everyone else.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1887) 12 years ago
You rarely hear the other side of the "Stella vs. McDonalds" case. The plaintiff required skin grafts after the burns and sued to recover medical costs. The attorneys representing McDonald's would have nothing of it - alleging that had the plaintiff simply jumped out of her car and removed her pants, her burns wouldn't have been as severe. Before this case had even occurred, McDonald's had received hundreds of complaints about their coffee being too hot and had done nothing, essentially so they could claim their coffee was the hottest. The jury, disgusted with McDonald's, tacked on the punitive damages which I've heard were equal to the corporation's coffee profits based over two days of coffee sales at McDonald's. The plaintiff was a woman in her late seventies. The jury found the plaintiff 20% at fault but awarded her the huge punitive damages. Before the trial, she had offered to settle for 20 grand trial but McDonald's wouldn't go for it. The justice system doesn't always gt things right but I think they were in this case. Howdy - a lot of those sound like urban legend.

[This message has been edited by Bob Netherton (8/7/2009)]
supporter
Thats interesting Bob, thanks for sharing that more indebth update..I am just gonna give up on jokes unless it is in the obvious false catagory like a talking horse...That way I don't mislead anyone...
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 12 years ago
Kyle is definitely not a homeboy.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11984) 12 years ago
In addition, McDonald's felt Stella was at fault because she was elderly and her skin was thinner and thus more susceptible too burns. If she had been younger when she spilled the coffee, her injuries would have been less severe. HOW she was supposed to get younger, the McDonald's lawyer neglected to explain.
Howdy - Don't give up on your jokes. I always look forward to your posts. That McDonalds story has always bugged me because you rarely hear the other side.
Posted by V (+175) 12 years ago
now if these are real stories some people really need to get a grip on reality. Seriously now where is the common sense here
With your grammar, V.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 12 years ago
If she had been younger when she spilled the coffee, her injuries would have been less severe. HOW she was supposed to get younger, the McDonald's lawyer neglected to explain.

In criminal law you have to take your victim as you find him. If, during a bar brawl, you bonk him on the skull in a normally non-lethal way but his brain aneurysm bursts and he dies, it's too bad for you. I'm pretty sure somewhat of the same principle applies in civil law. Dumb lawyer.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15095) 12 years ago
Let's not forget that this incident took place in that wonderful third-world country with cable known as New Mexico. With regard to the law, they have a different way of thinking there.
Yeah. In Wyoming they woulda taken that old lady out and beat her up for being careless.