founder
Posted by Chad (+1761) 15 years ago
FYI-

I went to get a sandwich today at Blimpies and the sign on the papered over windows read "OUT OF BUSINESS"

Now you know.

I still stand by my belief that Miles City has too many restaurants for a town its size.

I should add that the per capita income (or lack there of) greatly supports my belief, too. A more affluent town this size may support more restaurants.

[This message has been edited by Chad (edited 4/5/2005).]

Section two of tonights paper has an article about Three Restaurants Closing Within One Month. Geri's Cakewalk & Donut Run is officially calling it quits, again. Sorry Geri, I really like those donuts- does it show?

I hate to be a pessimist, but I'd bet that one or two more will close within the next year. There have been many closed over the past few years if you include bars.

Jewels.

Louies.

The Flying J/Thad's.

That bar that burned down on Valley Drive.

Yellowstone Cafe.

The breakfast place on Main Street- Shirley's.

Among others.

[This message has been edited by Chad (edited 4/5/2005).]
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10505) 15 years ago
80 to 90 % of all restaurants close in the first year. It is one of the toughest businesses to make a go of, no matter where you are located. Geri's closing is partly due to arguments with the BNSF over her lease. Blimpie's took on debt to remodel and move and discovered that Haynes Ave. is not the solution to all problems. Jewel's wasn't all that great. Louie had landlord problems. The right restaurant, with the right staff and capital, could go. Trick is to have all those things in place before opening.

Amorette
founder
Posted by Johnnie Lockett Thomas (+393) 15 years ago
Of all the restaurants in town Louie's was my favorite by far. I went there often, and since I no longer have a home suitable for entertaining, I took guests there as well.It was the only place in town that offered fine dining. The food was wonderful. The service was good. The prices were fair. The selection of wines quite adequate. Great ambience. I loved dining at the table by the fireplace.

Jewel's was a disaster from the start. Small portions. Bad food. Outrageous prices. On my "It can't be that bad, I'll give it another try visit", my companion and I were seated, served and then told we had to hurry and finish our meal because the solo wait person wanted wanted to leave.

Oh for a gourmet section in the grocery. I have my lobster and Maryland crab cakes shipped from the Vineyard, but oh to have a place where I could indulge my passion for pate, nova lox,and See's candies. I'd kill for a Trader Joe's and their selection of take-home foods, but most especially for their great underpriced California wines.

JLT
founder
Posted by David Schott (+15318) 15 years ago
Johnnie, I have to agree with you. I always thought Louie did a great job, both at the Olive Dining Room and at his steakhouse on Haynes Ave. I wish he would get back into the business.

I ate at Jewel's once and only once. My experience was truly awful and I feel they earned the privilege of promptly going out of business.

- Dave
founder
Posted by Chad (+1761) 15 years ago
I'm with Johnnie!
Posted by jackie (+164) 15 years ago
thought the timing of the article of restaurant closings in the paper was interesting with several of these forums. i don't recall them doing that when other restaurants closed. such as yellowstone cafe and catering, louies, jewells. etc.