Sadie, Mt.
founder
Posted by Kenny Vail (+110) 11 years ago
Hal, et. al:

Does anybody have info about Sadie, Montana? All I know is that it was several miles upstream from Miles City. Right?

K. V.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9743) 11 years ago
Kenny,

Here's what the USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) database has to show for Sadie.

http://geonames.usgs.gov/...istorical)

http://geonames.usgs.gov/...istorical)

If someone has a copy of this handy, it would likely provide more information:
Cheney, Roberta Carkeek, and Betty Hoag McGlynn. NAMES ON THE FACE OF MONTANA: THE STORY OF MONTANA'S PLACE NAMES (1971).
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+591) 11 years ago
In the family biography section of this site under biography of AVORY BUCKNER, it says Sadie was later called Calabar and then Sheffield.

Wasn't Dr. Sadie born there?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 11 years ago
Yup. It was named after Sadie Butler, Nelson Miles' housekeeper, who operated the relay station there. Dr. Sadie was named after the place where she was born. Never much there and now nothing.

I've heard it was originally "Sadie's Bottom" like "Pease Bottom" because it was at a low point but I don't know if that was true, just funny.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (8/2/2009)]
founder
Posted by Kenny Vail (+110) 11 years ago
Thanks, everybody.

Not much showed up in a newspaper archive search:

"Special Dispatch to the Standard
Washington, July 15 - Postmaster for Montana, Sadie, Custer county, Olaf Nelson vis Ellen Packer resigned." [Anaconda Standard - 7/16/1899]

K.V.
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1231) 11 years ago
"Lonesome" Charley Reynolds of Custer fame, being killed 7-25-76 at the LBH has described the bottom starting above the mouth of the Tounge as being about 15 miles long. Later well known as Sadie's bottom.

Sadie became a P O in 1885, by Oct 21 1895 moved and renamed Lock, Moved again Jan 27 1909 and called Calabar, final relocation Feb 1 1929 and called Sheffield.
Posted by Robin Nast (+10) 11 years ago
Sadie Bottom, Montana was a real name. My great grandfather homesteaded there and my grandfather and father grew up there. This is mentioned in their histories located on this site - Olaf Nelson, Sr., Olaf Nelson, Jr. and Maurice Nelson. The family always referred to it as Sadie Bottom, though they did mention the name was changed to Sheffield. The old homestead was still standing about 5 years ago, though falling apart. There is a small family cemetary located close by. The ranch was sold to Chet Larson and then to Mr. Anderson. I am not sure who the current owner is.