2009 Philadelphia Phillies
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17954) 13 years ago
Simply put, they are the hottest team in baseball right now, and they are only getting better.

http://www.cbssports.com/...y/11999323

You fans of other teams.....I would start to get scared right about now....

Very scared.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3743) 13 years ago
You fans of other teams.....I would start to get scared right about now....

Very scared.

Heh. I'd be more afraid of this:

supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4459) 13 years ago
I wouldn't - Philly can hang with the best - that's what happens when your middle infield can hammer, they had luck last year because their offense is more AL than NL.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6118) 13 years ago
I'm more fearful of teams that have actually won something this decade, Kyle.
I'm more fearful of teams that have actually won something this decade, Kyle.

2000 World Series
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...rld_Series

The 2000 World Series featured a crosstown matchup between the two-time defending champion New York Yankees and the New York Mets, with the Yankees winning 4 games to 1 for their third straight championship and 26th overall.

2000 isn't a part of this decade Brian?

As I said.....
My apologies. What I should have stated was, "I'm more fearful of teams that have actually won something within the last eight years, Kyle.

Quit living in the pre-9/11 world.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (7/30/2009)]
Backpedaling Brian? I've always thought for the longest time you've claimed "DECADE" as the "Gold Standard". Now it's "The Last 8 Years"?

It's getting shorter all the time Brian and after November it'll get even shorter.
Once it gets past a certain length of time, the years all blur together.

:kyle'sobligatory"86years"comment:

:brian's"yawn"inresponse:

Eight years, a decade ... mere trifles.

Don't let the number distract you from the main point - that it's been awhile since the Yankees have won a championship. And by "awhile," I mean it's been long enough at least to make your claims of their awe-inspiring invincibility seem cartoonishly outdated.

The Green Bay Packers! More championships than any other football team! Titletown! Twelve-time World Champions, baby!

The Montreal Canadiens! More championships than any other hockey team! Vive Quebec! 24 Stanley Cups!

Kind of sounds silly, doesn't it? Think about it.

When you put them up against 26 titles Brian, yes it does.

Excuse me, I meant 27.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (7/30/2009)]
:bangsheadonthekeyboard:

Brag about #27 when your team wins #27 and then brag about it all you want.

But until your team does win #27, doing so prematurely comes across as silly as a Canadiens fan bragging about #25 (they won #24 in 1992-93) or me bragging about #13 (the Packers last won in 1996).

Sayith the guy who's teams haven't won anywhere close to 26 titles combined.
Sayeth a knowledgeable follower of sports.
Ever notice Brian how these threads somehow always become our own personal threads?
Yes, I have. But it's probably because we're the only two people awake at this hour.
It's all in the Dew.
True dat.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5105) 13 years ago
Phillies made a nice trade for Cliff Lee. That should help them quite a bit.
It will definitely improve their team. They're looking very good right now.
Posted by TALBOT (+249) 13 years ago
Im not scared. The Phillies are a good team and they just got better with Cliff Lee but it is the team that is peaking in September who wins in October. My Dodgers just lost three in a row for the first time this season. Then they decided to make it four in a row last night in an extra inning game but I'm not worried. They still have the best record in baseball because they are consistent. If you think of dominating teams at the end of July. You might want to think about the Chicago Cubs last year just tearing it up. I believe they got swept in the playoffs. I'm not sure but......
Posted by mule train (+1054) 13 years ago
don't feel bad talbot...the rockies lost three as well before they stopped the bleeding tonight.

On the other hand...I wouldn't mind seeing back to back.

Howard on the juice???? Answer: No.

[This message has been edited by mule train (7/30/2009)]
Posted by TALBOT (+249) 13 years ago
Mule Train,
As I said on the other thread, I believe that the guys on the juice are older players (in the league 10 years or more). It's just a theory but I don't think guys like Howard, Josh Hamilton, Evan Longoria and Justin Morneau are taking steroids. With all the new designer drugs out there though, I might just be whistling past the graveyard. BTW the Dodgers won in 10 innings tonight to stop our bleeding.
supporter
Josh Hamilton couldn't possibly be that stupid.
Josh Hamilton couldn't possibly be that stupid.

A crackhead - albeit a former crackhead - couldn't be that stupid, Buck?

I think you overestimate the intelligence of the average crackhead, Buck.
supporter
If only he used powder cocaine, he wouldn't have to worry about a lifetime ban on his next eff up.
Good point.
supporter
Ahhh.....I had to listen to my co-workers (one a Cardinals fan, the other a Cubs fan) RAZZ me over the Cliff Lee trade, saying that no pitcher from the American League can come over to the National League, because they can't hit the ball.

So what does Mr. Lee do in his first outing? Not only does he pitch a 4-hitter, no hits up to the 6th....but he adds two base hits to boot! Woo hoo!

Go Phillies!
We need the Phillies to sweep the Giants this weekend. Go Phils!!!
Ahhh.....I had to listen to my co-workers (one a Cardinals fan, the other a Cubs fan) RAZZ me over the Cliff Lee trade, saying that no pitcher from the American League can come over to the National League, because they can't hit the ball.

Why should American League pitchers be held to a higher batting standard than National League pitchers? It's not as if National League pitchers hit all that well anyway. Sure they hold a bat and take their hacks, but - with very rare exception - it's not as if pitchers on the mound fear their counterparts when they're at bat.
According to http://www.baseball-reference.com, National League pitchers posted a combined average of .140 (666 hits in 4,756 AB) in 2008. As a whole, the National League batted .260.

American League pitchers batted .114 last season (31-for-273), compared to a .264 average for all AL batters.

So far this season, National League pitchers are again batting .140 (414-for-2,957) and the league as a whole has posted an average of .258.

AL pitchers have batted .096 (25-for-272) so far this season, compared with a .264 average for the entire league.

So ...

It's true that NL pitchers are better than their AL counterparts in terms of productivity at the plate.

But that doesn't really change the fact that the debate over which league's pitchers are the best hitters is equivalent to arguing over which is the better car, a 1971 Ford Pinto or a 1978 AMC Pacer. Sure, they have their fans, but both vehicles basically suck.

BUT WE'VE GOT TO KEEP BASEBALL PURE!!!
Well, I'm off to watch Cole Hammels light up Barry Zito & the San Francisco Giants at AT&T Park. Should be a whole lot of fun.
supporter
Kyle: You Lucky Bastard! (invoking the voice of John Cleese)

Hope you had a good time....although it sounds as if Cole got pounded today. Oh well.
Gunnar, yeah Cole got rocked today. It was a great game today. We had seats overlooking McCovey Cove and it was an awesome view. I wish I could've seen my man Lincecum yesterday but oh well.
Huge series this week...Rockies v. Phillies in Philly. Should be a good series. It's tough when you like both teams...but I only have season tickets to one of them...so I'll be rooting for the Rocks.
Moyer got ROCKED last night. Rockies take game 1
supporter
Sigh....pitching has been the bane of the Phillies all season long.

Happ will do better tonight.
supporter
.....and the Phillies take Games 2 and 3 to win their series against the Rockies.

As I predicted, Happ was magnificant in Game 2, and new ace Cliff Lee shone today in his first start at his new home park.

If the Phillies take J.R. Happ out of their rotation to make room for Pedro, someone need to get their head examined.
supporter
Cliff Lee is now 4-0 in four starts for the Phils. Last night he pitched a two-hitter AND had 2 hits himself in his 8-1 victory over the D'backs.

I'll take a pitcher who hits the ball as mnay times as he gives up hits anyday.
The Phillies are rapidly approaching scary-good territory.

All anomalies aside, I'd still rather see pitchers pitch and people who know what they're doing with a bat hit. But, as is the case with everything, there are exceptions.
supporter
Unassisted triple play!!!!!

Second baseman Eric Bruntlett turned an unassisted triple play to end the Philadelphia Phillies' 9-7 victory over the New York Mets on Sunday.

It was the 15th unassisted triple play in major league history - and the third that ended a game. The first two came more than 80 years ago, by Pittsburgh shortstop Glenn Wright in 1925 and Detroit first baseman Johnny Neun in 1927.

How 'bout them Phillies??!!??!!!!???!!!?
They're scary, that's for sure.

On a somewhat-related note, I was happy to see John Smoltz pitch well (9 Ks, 3 hits in 5 shutout innings) in in his return to the NL for the Cardinals. He's a good guy and a future-HOFer. He deserves a better end than being a BP-caliber pitcher in the AL.

I could say more about what his success in the NL (and lack of success in the AL) says about the comparative strengths of the leagues, but I'm sure Gunnar can connect the dots.

Smoltz went 1-for-3 at the plate (and that's all that matters, right?) Maybe the Cards would also like Brad Penny? We can hope.
supporter
Ummmm.....AL vs. NL???

Ummmm.....who are the DEFENDING WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS?

Ummmm.....in what league do these DEFENDING WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS play?

Fair enough - the Phillies were a better team than the Rays. You won't get any argument from me there.

The NL's best team is often better than the AL's best team (or at least the team representing the league in the World Series). That really can't be disputed.

But your league as a whole?

Win an All-Star game (your best against the AL's best) and we can discuss this. I will argue that from top to bottom, the AL is a better, stronger league. The AL's dominance in interleague play speaks to this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w..._by_league

Just out of curiosity, how'd Matt Holliday do with the A's? How's he doing with the Cardinals?

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (8/23/2009)]
It was good to see Pedro outduel Lincecum tonight. El Duro isn't what he once was (not that anyone could be) but he's still got left in the tank.

"He reminds me a little bit of me, but he's twice as good as me at this time of my career," Martinez said of Lincecum. "It took me seven years to win a Cy Young."

I'd say Pedro is being a little generous, considering he was a reliever for his first few seasons in Los Angeles (and it was six years into his career that he won his first Cy Young - 1997, with Montreal).
supporter
Subject: RE: 2009 Colorado Rockies
Author: Gunnar Emilsson Posted: 8/30/2009 8:07:35 PM From: - MT
You should bask in the glow that my Phantastic Philadelphia Phillies are about to take on the Giants....so the Giants are going to lose at least 2 out of the next 3.

Subject: RE: 2009 Colorado Rockies
Author: Joe Whalen Posted: 8/30/2009 8:42:22 PM From: - MT
Giants vs. Phillies

Game 1~ Sanchez v. Hammels: A draw with an edge to Hammels
Game 2~ Lincecum v. Happ: A field day for Lincecum
Game 3~ Zito v. Martinez: All over but the crying for Philly

Methinks Joe should stick to mayoring, and leave the baseball prognostication and punditry to those of us with more expereince.
supporter
I am certainly glad that I didn't open my big mouth and make any grandioise predictions about the Phillies sweeping the Astros....
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17954) 12 years ago
Hmmmm.....seems like this thread needs to be "bumped".
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15285) 12 years ago
Not really...
Posted by Mike Zier (+142) 12 years ago
I know I was excited to see it get bumped
supporter
I am extremely happy to see that Brad Lidge has recovered his 2008 form here in the POSTSEASON!

How 'bout those Philly bats?!? Go Phillies!!!!!!!!
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5105) 12 years ago
Nice performance by Petey yesterday - too bad is was for 'naught.

Like Phillies chances if Pete can pitch like that again. Having said that, Pete won't get an American League team out with that stuff.
supporter
Yep, if Pedro had pitched the 8th, and the Phillies could FIELD, yesterday's outcome might have been difference.

I bet he could strike out A-Roid with that stuff, though, especially if he mumbled some ancient Hebrew prayer before he threw the ball....

Oh well....they took one in Dodger Stadium. Go Phillies!
supporter
Gunnar:

Maybe you're right.

I'm looking forward to the World Serious for a change. 3 of 4 potential matchups are intriguing:

New York/Dodgers - Torre and Mattingly return to NYC
New York/Philly - Just a good matchup
Dodgers/Angels - SoCal version of Subway series (Coaster series?)

OTOH...

Philly/Angels - Ratings disaster for network

Philly is my favorite team left - love Charlie and many of the players. A guy has to root for Lidge too.

[This message has been edited by Bob L. (10/17/2009)]
supporter
So.....

Is Cliff Lee the NEW STEVE CARLTON or what?

Dodger fans have strangely silent here in the postseason...
supporter
Phillies only need one more win - I don't see Lee losing if he has to pitch again.
Phillies Need 2 more wins
Posted by mule train (+1054) 12 years ago
BACK TO BACK
supporter
Phillies Need 2 more wins

My point was that Lee will likely win if he pitches again, so 1 more win and that's all she wrote.
Posted by TALBOT (+249) 12 years ago
This Dodger Fan is not silent. I've got to hand it to Cliff Lee for the way he pitched last night. The Dodgers got spanked and all they can do is re-group and try and wake up their bats tonight. I held Cliff Lee in pretty high esteem until Mannys' 3rd at bat last night. Manny was 2 for 2 at that point and Cliff seemed to be a little ticked off. When he "quick pitched " him, that was truly "Bush League". I understand that he works fast but to not let Manny get set was beneath him. I haven't seen many hitters having to call time in the batters box (so they can get set) recently. It used to happen all the time but it seems now days most pitchers wait until the hitter is set before they throw. Anyway, he's a great pitcher and if the Dodgers have any chance of winning this thing they're probably going to have to face him again in game 7. I think that the Dodgers bounce back and win tonight, mostly because after last night's blow out, the Phillies are already looking past them. GO DODGERS!!!!!
As a Phillies Fan who can't be silent. Almost everything Manny does is "Bush League"
Posted by TALBOT (+249) 12 years ago
Hey Mike.....I wasn't particularly fond of Manny when the Dodgers got him. But what is a lifelong fan of a team supposed to do when he becomes a member of the organization? Are you going to tell me that you would quit rooting for the Phillies if they picked up Manny Ramirez? Do you think that Cubs Fans gave up on the Cubs when they got Milton Bradley this last year? So, you hate Manny Ramirez, Big F*#kin" Deal!!! If you are a true fan of baseball, I believe that you have to at least respect his talent. A lot of people (mostly players) didn't like Ty Cobb but they sure as hell respected him. For years I hated Greg Maddux, hated that his strike zone was twice as wide as other pitchers, hated his arrogance but when he played his last few years for the Dodgers, I sure wasn't going to root against him. So instead of calling everything Manny does "Bush League", quit bitching and just be happy that the Phillies got to Broxton tonight and you're now up 3 to 1.

[This message has been edited by TALBOT (10/19/2009)]
At this point I am rooting for a Phillies/spankees MLWS. It would be great to see the Phillies beat the Yanks.

BACK TO BACK
supporter
How 'bout that Jimmy Rollins?!? Watching that game winning double last night was FANTASTIC......that made up for the game the Dodgers stole from Pedro.

Wednesday....you know where I'll be.
Talbot,

Geez man! no harm intended. I didn't really think my comment was that [email protected]#$in' off the wall.

and the Phillies would never sign manny...danny tartabull....Yes...Manny No...

[This message has been edited by Mike Zier (10/20/2009)]
Just read a story about Man-Ram showering during the 9th inning yesterday...douche bag.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3831) 12 years ago
I was sure hoping for a Yankee's Dodgers series but alas it's not looking that shiney. The Phillies are sure nuf rockin and rollin.

I thought that the AL championship was going to be closer, after two hard fought extra inning games but last nights game was a blow out.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1903) 12 years ago
Not exactly a pitcher's duel so far this evening.
supporter
We Philadelphia Phillies fans are looking forward to playing the best team that money can buy in the World Series*.....it will be a great matchup.....a team that relies on the traditional values of a strong farm system and great scouting and coaching, versus a team that throws money at overpriced crybabies....should be a good one!