Time to sell out.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1893) 12 years ago
After a somewhat promising first half, I think its time for the Mariners to trade someone for decent prospects. A lot of teams are looking at Washburn. He's a free agent at the end of the year...I say go for it. Kyle? Buck?
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3745) 12 years ago
We're loaded up with left-handed pitching and our minor league is better than it has been in recent years.

That said however I think it would be suicide to trade away one of best pitchers in Washburn. The guy has a cannon and has an ERA to match.

This is one of the best pitching staffs in baseball and dismantling it would only serve to signal to everybody that the Mariners brass isn't serious about making this team into a winner.
Posted by Matt Schmitz (+402) 12 years ago
It really sucks that the Mariners recently went 7 - 3 in a 10 game stretch, and lost 2 games in the standings to the Angels. The conventional wisdom in baseball is that if you are 7 games out at the start of August, you have no chance to win your division. I think that is a little early to sell the farm. I would not trade Washburn, and Julie won't believe that just came out of my mouth. But when Washburn gets run support, he wins. Simple as that. I would entertain talks about Bedard though. It doesn't matter what he can do on the mound if he can never stay healthy. This may be his 3rd stint on the DL this season. It seems he's been on the DL longer than Thurman Munson, and Munson is actually dead. I am a big fan of Wak, and hope they have the wisdom and foresight to keep him steering the ship. His calm demeaner is just what this team needs. But how can you get swept by the Indians, a pitiful excuse for a baseball team, and get out-scored 31 - 6 over 3 games? Then lose 11 -4 to the Blue Jays? All at home? Something is wrong with the Mariners, but I damn sure don't know what it is. Are they missing Beltre that much? I wish I knew.

[This message has been edited by Matt Schmitz (7/28/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Julie (+420) 12 years ago
Matt! Say it isn't so! In reality though, Washburn is MUCH better than last year. His inconsistency was more than I could handle. EVEN WITH run support. And Eric Bedard. JEEZ! I have a hangnail! WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! I lost an eyelash in the shower this morning! WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! And if the entire team doesn't come back soon from this current downslide, well, bye-bye ALDS or even the wild card slot.
Posted by Matt Schmitz (+402) 12 years ago
I can actually watch Washburn pitch this year. And enjoy it. Every start last year I was putting away sharp objects before he even took the mound. And my cats would run for cover as soon he was introduced, knowing that something was going flying in short order. He is a stud this year, and I hope they keep him around. With average run support, Washburn could easily be 14 - 2 this year. Maybe better. But you are correct Julie. They need a massive turnaround, and damn fast if there is anything left to salvage of this season. I don't expect them to win it all, but I want to watch competitive baseball that means something in September. Selfish of me I know, but I love a good pennant race, especially if my guys are in it. And our young studs need to feel the pressure to be better prepared for next season.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1596) 12 years ago
You guys said "sell out" I thought you were talking about Baucus.

Camp Baucus
(we'll "Follow the Money" and start the "Buy Back Baucus" campaign)
"Our" Senator, Max Baucus, is holding a big fund-raiser known as Camp Baucus ($5000 per PAC or $2500 per Individual) at Big Sky, Montana, where the rich and famous play, from July 31 through August 2 for the insurance industry, the pharmaceutical companies, the hospital association, bankers and other fat cats to raise money for his "leadership" PAC. He takes their money even while he is writing legislation that will affect health care! So Montanans for Single-Payer health care will be there too! We'll rally to show Max and his corporate friends we are very displeased with what they're up to in Washington, D.C.
We're asking single-payer supporters from across the state to join us at Big Sky this Friday, July 31st. We'll be polite but we'll let them know we don't like it when they buy "our" Senator for $5000 or $2500 plus paying all their own expenses - and we really don't like it when he takes it. Here are the particulars:
When: July 31, 2009 - 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (see below too)
Where: Big Sky, Montana
The Mariners aren't going anywhere with a two-man rotation(Washburn and Felix). I say trade Washburn for some good offensive prospects, bring up some of those arms from the minors to get them some MLB experience and then, for God's sake, get Felix signed to a multi-year contract. The Angels ARE NOT going to fold and there will be no wild card team from the AL West. And screw Baucus.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 12 years ago
The Mariners need position players in the farm system, desperately. The in-field tonight is Jack Hannahan, Chris Woodward, Chris Shelton, Ronny Cedeno, and Rob Johnson - you're always an injury away from Chris Shelton - c'mon.

Washburn is a good guy, I like him - enough that I'd say deal him because you know he can't love toiling in Seattle. They need hitters on the farm so badly and even though they won't get a goldmine for for him, it could be benefit both parties. Hopefully, they move him to NY and his curve ball gets hammered all over the place.
Washburn has been sent to Detroit for a couple of pitching prospects. The "experts" on ESPN are calling it a smart move, citing the fact the M's can resign Washburn at the end of the season.