Do You Believe In Second Chances?
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3745) 12 years ago
NFL Reinstates Michael Vick
http://www.comcast.net/ar...einstated/

Yes what he did was reprehensible there is no denying that. However he has served his time for his crime and I believe that he should be reinstated.

He has paid he debt to society and nothing further needs to be said.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (7/27/2009)]
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
Should he be reinstated, thereby giving him the opportunity to play in the NFL?

Yes - the league shouldn't deny the man the right to earn a living.

Should any NFL team actually hire him to represent their franchise and the league in general?

No. Hell no - no team in the league is under any obligation whatsoever to hire him and any team that does would lose money over the matter.

I found it ironic that T.O. said that the league was "kicking a dead horse" when it came to punishing Michael Vick. My immediate thought was that Vick probably would like that if there was money to be made in killing horses.

I say screw him. He can get a real job.

(And just to be clear, Jimbo - I don't dislike Michael Vick because he is black.)
Posted by J. Dyba (+1350) 12 years ago
I'm not condoning dog fighting, nor do I give 2 doodles about Michael Vick.

Again I want to re-iterate I AM NOT CONDONING DOG FIGHTING.

That said.. I have my fair share of experiences of people horrified about my praire dog stories. The number of animals I have shot and killed makes some people look at me like a murderer; but that was how I was raised. That's how most young men in SE MT were/are raised. I had both a motorized vehicle AND a loaded weapon at an age that would get me put into prison here if I allowed my children the same.

The deep south has a completely different growing experience, especially in the African American communities, then we can even begin to fathom. I personally have only been exposed to it a little through friends I met in the service who invited me back to their homes for various holidays. It is a completely.different.world. Dog fighting is not taboo in many places down south, it just isn't. A lot of kid's are raised around or near those types of events and it's going to dull you to those types of things.

Again, I'm not saying what he did was right but to demonize a guy for it as badly as he has/was is just ridiculous
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 12 years ago
Serious question: Who is worse, Mike Vick or PacMan Jones?
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+398) 12 years ago
It is just the NFL. If it is about character, there are a whole number of those guys who don't belong there. It is not like he is going to be your pastor, teacher, doctor, or psychiatrist. No integrity required.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 12 years ago
Prediction: Michael Vick will be sign by either the Patriots or the Vikings.
Posted by mule train (+1055) 12 years ago
Oakland Raider fans have drool cascading down their chins.
Posted by Mike Zier (+132) 12 years ago
Donna,

As a teacher I must say I resemble that remark

thank you
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1794) 12 years ago
I don't know - something about people committing crimes that get them jailed, and then getting a slap on the wrist, and then being allowed to go back to making millions more than I'll ever see in my lifetime just pisses me off.
supporter
Posted by tom regan (+2522) 12 years ago
The dogs that "didn't make the cut" for his fun little hobby were tortured to death for his enjoyment by means of hanging, electrocution, and drowning. The man is a waste of human flesh.

But....he sure can run that football!
supporter
Who's worse, though? Pac Man or Vick?
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3745) 12 years ago
Pac-Man rules!
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 12 years ago
"Who's worse, though? Pac Man or Vick?"

In what respect? As football players? As community role models?
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1893) 12 years ago
He did prison time. That's a little more than a slap on the wrist. Even the ASCPA is seeing Vick's potential for redemption. I say let him play.
supporter
Sure, let's say as football players/criminals - do you think Vick has done enough time in comparison to Pac Man?
Posted by Matt Schmitz (+402) 12 years ago
Tom Regan is absolutely correct. Vick is an evil man that I will not watch on my TV any Sunday. Ever. If some linebacker snaps his spine, I may watch the highlights, just to see karma at work. He served his debt to part of society, but not my part. The argument that he was raised in a different culture is pure hogwash. In some cultures they still practice cannabalism. 2 years in jail and back to work? I don't think so. He will probably get a chance to make a comeback, as a very mediocre quarterback. Some things never change. Lifetime completion percentage of 53%. That number would have placed him in 32nd place last season. Out of 32 quarterbacks rated. Why any team, other than the Raiders would take a chance on him is beyond me. Less than average stats, a horrid past, and will immediately make your team a laughing stock around the league. Half of the locker room will accept him, and the other half may well refuse to play with him. And we all know nothing wins games like a divided locker room. A perfect Raider in every sense. Comparing his crimes to shooting gophers is laughable. Gophers are vermin. Did these gophers have names? Did they sleep with you at night? Protect your home? Love your children? And give you unconditional love? Vicks dogs would have done all that if he hadn't hung them, or drowned them, or fried them. What he did, for entertainment, is inexcusable in my book.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1893) 12 years ago
Now I hope he ends up on the Cowboys.
Now hold on a minute....there are two sides to every coin. When I was in 8th grade in Beautiful Broadus Mt...I was attacked and mauled by two dog's. (you can look it up, I made the front page of the PR examiner) These dog's ripped through my clothes, crushed my elbow and basically made a bloody mess of me.

Do you think they really cared about my feelings? ummm no Do you think the other dog's said..."now you guys made a mistake, that's a person not food" "even though he looks like a pork chop"

Michael Vick served his time...move on. So are you guys saying that all felon's should have their right to work in their profession revoked? Some jobs?? Sure but like Donna said not Football.
Dammit Bob! Please don't say that crap outloud. Jerry Jones might be reading this. We already had to put up with Pacman Jones, Terrell Owens, and a veritable laundry list of other miscreants. If Vick ends up a Cowboy, I will be forced to burn a large pile of Cowboy swag. I keep hoping Jerry might get smarter in his old age, but I am not holding my breath waiting for that day.
I may be missing your point Mike. They didn't eat you did they? Then you evidently did not look like a porkchop. They attacked you, because they apparently thought you were a threat. We all know that is a very rare occurence. It has happened to me too, when I was about 5 or so. But if I remember correctly, I was teasing them with a sucker. While sitting on a swing. I don't see any comparison with your attack, or mine, and what Vick was doing for entertainment. Other than dogs were involved in both stories, I just don't see it.
I don't care if Vick ever works again. I won't march against him or anything like that if he gets a job, but I will not watch him play football. In my opinion, some crimes are especially henious. Crimes against children and animals meet that standard, to me. They trust that we will take care of them, because they cannot care for themselves. Only the lowest of mankind would violate that trust, for entertainment.
Vick lied to his employer's face, and lied to the commissioner of his sport. In an attempt to cover his butt. I just don't see any owner, other than Al Davis, giving him a second chance. Why would they take that kind of chance for a player that mediocre? That team, whoever they may be, is almost certain to lose sponsers, advertisers, and a large portion of their fan base is likely to revolt, all in a down economy. Thats spells bad business in my book.
Yep you missed my point.

Don't worry happens to me all the time
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 12 years ago
He did his time. His crime had nothing to do with football. I don't see any reason the NFL should further punish him. I wouldn't want him on my team though. I've always thought he was one of the most overrated players ever. He has some spectacular moments but on average he's a very average quarterback. Between that and the PR aspect I don't know if any team will take him. If Peyton Manning or Tom Brady was just getting out of jail for dog fighting I'd bet a lot more teams would be willing to forgive (and no that's not a racial thing).
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 12 years ago
Vick's a freakish athlete.

With the advent of the "Wildcat" offense, Mr. Vick could be a productive player for a number of NFL teams.
I'm with Zier...he seems to have paid his debt to society, and it sounded like it was quite big. 18 months in jail and millions of dollars lost. I'm sure he won't be having illegal dog fights on his property again.

I don't think that any kind of animal fighting is good, but people need to understand that there are cultures out there that see nothing wrong with it. They kill bulls in Spain and Mexico in front of thousands of screaming fans. Is it wrong? Not in their eyes. You gotta look through different lenses sometimes. And yes...blacks in the deep South have different values and belief systems than mainstream America. I bet Vick won't be getting mixed up in dog fighting anymore...cock fighting is another story.
supporter
Posted by Jim Brady (+425) 12 years ago
(And just to be clear, Jimbo - I don't dislike Michael Vick because he is black.)

Of course, Brian. Everybody knows you don't like Vick because he played for Virginia Tech.
Posted by michael naatjes (+1001) 12 years ago
Michael Vick should not be given a second chance. Pete Rose was not given a second chance, he was banned from the hall of fame and lost everything he had worked for. What Vick did evidently was worse he did time in the correctional system for it. Michael Vick should not be given a second chance, but if he is then everyone else that has been banned from sports should be reenstated. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
Posted by Jennifer Johnsgard (+40) 12 years ago
Of course - which is why I do the job I do. He didnt just get a slap on the wrist - he went to Leavenworth for Pete's sake. They are in lockdown 23 hours per day. It is one of the roughest prison's in the US. Give him a chance to play - of course the Vikings would take him. They would take a ham sandwich if it could catch a football. I am not condoning his behavior - but on the spectrum of criminal offenses and I am unaware of any prior criminal behavior on his part - there are far more serious offenses. He did the crime - which he admitted to and now he has finished serving his time. He proably has probation time also. Give him a chance - he made some terrible choices and hopefully he has learned from them.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
Of course, Brian. Everybody knows you don't like Vick because he played for Virginia Tech.

Uh ... okay?
supporter
He did call himself Ron Mexico and gave a lady herpes.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 12 years ago
But really Buck, who hasn't done that?
supporter
True that.
Ah yes...Ron Mexico. That was good. He'll give a gal a lot more than herpes next time after his stay in the big house.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 12 years ago
Hey, the Ron Mexico name generator is still out there on the Interwebs!

http://ronmexico.kainalopallo.com/