Aggressive Panhandling
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3741) 13 years ago
Well this just put a bit of a damper on my day.

I'm walking by a McD's in Seattle on "Pill Hill" when a panhandler kept asking me if I had any spare change. After repeatedly telling him that I did not he looked at me and told me in no uncertain terms to "Go F*** Myself".

Evidentially he thinks profanity will loosen my wallet just a bit. I suppose I shouldn't take it too personally as he may have some sort of mental illness but this incident just put a little cloud on my otherwise nice day.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (7/24/2009)]
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1889) 13 years ago
We have a fine crop here in Missoula, also.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6116) 13 years ago
Same in Billings. They're pleasant.

The best way to deal with aggressive panhandlers? With an aggressive panhandle ... to the FACE.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1280) 13 years ago
Brain, that made me LOL.

(Not the part about actually assaulting a person, but the part about.... well, assaulting a person).
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 13 years ago
I was asked for money in Missoula once. I had just come out of a restaurant with half a black bean breakfast burrito. I said, "Would you like this?" He smiled and said, "Yes, please." So I gave it to him. He seemed grateful.
Actually, in Seattle(I'm sure Kyle knows this better than I do) they have a program called "Real Change". Homeless and would-be panhandlers sell the "Real Change" magazine for a dollar at the storefront of a lot of local businesses. These people are usually pleasant and thankful. Otherwise, there are some real doozies in Seattle.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15202) 13 years ago
Oops. Thought this was going to be another Obama thread. My bad.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1682) 13 years ago
Funny Richard. Very funny.
Posted by hoozi (+108) 13 years ago
some of them are terrible...one of my brothers coworkers in Glendive was goin to eat at Mcdonald's and noticed a man sitting kinda close by the drive thru....Well he was of course wanting money, the friend went thru the drive through and got a couple extra burgers for the man!! He pulled up and gave the food to the man who then said "I dont want this S***t I want the money" he then threw the bag onto the ground....I thought that was so terrible!!! Information from a very reliable source has told me many a time they will go into a local store and buy mouthwash for real cheap and drink that....Could you imagine, I can hardly stand to swish that stuff around in my mouth for too long let alone want to drink it!!! Anways...Just thought I would share this little tid bit also!!!
Bob, yeah that Real Change newspaper is great. The people that sell them get something like 90% of the money from the papers they sell. I've gotten a few of them because of that. Sometimes (if I have a little extra to spare) I'll give them a $5 or a $10.

These guys I'll give money to happily as they're trying to better their lives and aren't accosting me, rather than the guy who told me to F-off earlier today.
Posted by Toni Rentschler (+1513) 13 years ago
I always give them peanut butter. I have never had anyone refuse it either. They have always welcomed it greatly.
Hoozie, they also guzzle that hand sanitizer stuff because it's like 90% alcohol.

In fact I remember when I went to rehab about 5 years ago they would search your bags and confiscate them if they found any.
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+406) 13 years ago
Consider that the man was highly likely mentally ill. I know someone who did the most recent homeless research in Seattle and it is something like 87% are mentally ill. Give the guy a break---not money-- but a break.
Brain, that made me LOL.

I'm not surprised, Cory. My response was inspired by one of your old homies here at dispatch. I'll let you guess which one.
Consider that the man was highly likely mentally ill. I know someone who did the most recent homeless research in Seattle and it is something like 87% are mentally ill. Give the guy a break---not money-- but a break.

Or maybe ...

He was a pet owner who couldn't find a place to rent and was driven to the streets ... and MADNESS!
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9380) 13 years ago
Donna, Kyle doesn't posses anything resembling empathy, so your suggestion may fall upon deaf ears.
I suppose I shouldn't take it too personally as he may have some sort of mental illness

Bridgier, don't presume I have no empathy. You have no idea.
But for the grace of God..............
Posted by J. Dyba (+1346) 13 years ago
Who paid for your rehab?
I did. All out of pocket.

Next.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (7/25/2009)]
Posted by Maureen Secrest (+42) 13 years ago
Near here in Hardin there are plenty of them and most all of them are friendly but the worst part is that they want to shake your hand. Ugh!
How dare "those" people want to shake your pristine hand!
Posted by Maureen Secrest (+42) 13 years ago
It's not the gesture of friendliness, it's where their hands have been (like after they have wet their pants). Some of them are people we have known but we know they don't exactly wash their hands on a daily basis. That's what I meant.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4457) 13 years ago
They have rehab for World of Warcraft junkies?
Would you rent to them, Donna?
Here's what you do with them Brian:

Homeless Alcoholics Receive a Permanent Place to Live, and Drink
http://www.nytimes.com/20...eless.html

You build them multi-million dollar condos!

Seriously though the question remains: What do you do with them?

I recall a thread here about some guy who was a chronic alcoholic in Miles City who unfortunately passed about a week after the thread started. I can't remember who it was but perhaps somebody can find the thread.

Seeing as this was financed with private dollars/donations this is a good thing and something I can support.
Yes, I would if they meet all the qualifications required of any renter. This is my business. My charity organization is separate.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10103) 13 years ago
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4457) 13 years ago
I'm confused - the death of the drunk was privately funded by the front end of an F-250 or the condos? If you're talking condos, you need to work on your reading comprehension.