Buehrle perfect game
Posted by cbadnmb2001 (+37) 12 years ago
As a huge White Sox fan I am totally jacked over the perfect game pitched by Sox lefty Mark Buehrle. This well pitched game was saved in the 9th inning on the great catch by Dewayne Wise.
Great game Buerhle!! GO SOX!!!
P.S. Thanks Seattle
Posted by Matt Schmitz (+402) 12 years ago
I was lucky enough to catch the last 2 innings of this game on the MLB network. Brilliant baseball. Ozzie Guillen put in a center fielder in the 9th, just for defense. He then makes the best catch in the history of baseball, considering the circumstances. Just great baseball. A pitcher that has in the past, thrown a no - hitter, with absolutely nothing that could be considered over powering stuff. He manages his game very well, pitching to spots, and pitching quickly. He has been known to throw 2 hour games. He got in a rythym, and the Rays, a great hitting team, had no idea what was happening until the 7th inning or so. I am not a White Sox fan at all, but this was just amazing to watch. Purely as a baseball fan. I applaud Mark Buerhle for his effort on the mound today. I appreciate being a very small part of his audience. Well done young man. You should be very proud.

[This message has been edited by Matt Schmitz (7/23/2009)]
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
VERY impressive game by Buehrle. I don't like him when he pitches against the Sox (the real Sox), but he's a fun player to watch. Much like Josh Beckett, when he's on, he's ON.

But I think we're all missing the point. Buehrle's perfect game came in the regular season. And the only stats that matter are ones from championship-winning teams. Only Don Larsen's perfect game for the Yankees in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series against the Brooklyn Dodgers REALLY counts.

According to Derflogic (to which I am now a mindless devotee), that makes Don Larsen (career record 81-91) the Greatest Pitcher Ever.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3745) 12 years ago
Only Don Larsen's perfect game for the Yankees in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series against the Brooklyn Dodgers REALLY counts.

Normally I'd say that works for me but considering two other Yankees - Cone & Wells (albeit hung-over) have acomplished this feat I'll go with Brian on this one.
Only if Derf agrees with you will I concur as well, Kyle.

Tell me what to think, Derf!
Perfect is perfect Brian. Not his fault he had to do it against a team that played in the World Series LAST YEAR! You pitch against whoever is in the other dugout, on that day. Would it count more, in your opinion, if he had done it against the REAL Sox? Thats kind of boorish. He has pretty much nothing to do with the schedule. Take the ball when it's your turn, and lets see what you have. 27 up, and 27 down. Only the 18th time in Major League baseball history. Not being a math major, I suspect that is several 10's of thousands of games played. But lets try it, just for grins. Just counting the regular season, there is 4860 games played every year. Just for easy math, lets go with 100 years of major league baseball. Round number. That is...........wait for it..................486,000 baseball games played. Lets cut that in half, because 2 teams play in every game. Still 243,000 thousand baseball games played. And 18 guys have pitched a perfect game? Not only should you be singing his praises, you should babysit his kids for free. Happily. Just because. I know I would. I've seen at least parts of several no hitters on TV, and 1 in person. Chris Bosio with the Mariners. So far beyond cool that I don't know the words to describe it. And I know most of the words. A perfect game is so much better. No hits, no walks, no errors. A beautiful event that needs to be acknowledged. Are you telling me that hitting 4 home runs in a game is crap, unless it happens in a playoff game? How about hitting for the cycle? No big deal unless a Yankee does it? Come on dude! You are way smarter than that.

Matt, Matt, Matt ... ease down, friend.

I am merely following in the footsteps of the Great and Powerful Derf, nothing more.

Derf doesn't believe that statistical accomplishments matter unless they lead to a championship, so I don't either. I have found that it is far easier to just agree with Derf.

After all, Derf is never wrong.
lol You got me. Kudos my friend.
I knew you were smarter than that.
Hail Derf!
Was my math right?
I hope so. Mr Trenka would be so disappointed in me if I screwed that up.
Was my math right?

You should know the answer to this question, Matt:

Ask Derf.
My nether regions have been chewed off way too much today Brian. Please don't make me do it.
I'm shocked, Matt! It sounds as though you are doubting the Wise and Powerful Derf! This cannot stand, sir!

Exclamation point!
I am drinking a Pyramid Apricot Ale, and liking it. Would Derf approve?
Dammit! I don't even know how to act anymore. Do I even like myself?
I am drinking a Pyramid Apricot Ale, and liking it. Would Derf approve?

If the Pyramid Apricot Ale keeps its mouth shut and politely agrees with everything Derf says? Then yes.

But Jeebus help us all if your beer starts to mouth off or ask impertinent questions!
Dammit! I don't even know how to act anymore. Do I even like myself?

Unless Derf likes you, what you think of yourself is beside the point.

Our Derf is an Awesome Derf!
Derf reigns from Derfdom above!
I really need a book with all these rules spelled out clearly. Maybe Derf can write one for me? If it's all written down, in big crayon letters, I promise I can play the game as Derf intends it to be played. The book will however, need to have pictures. Me being not all that bright and stuff and poop and things.

Posted by Derf Bergman (+584) 12 years ago
Lifetime memberships in the Derf Bergman Fan Club are now available for a discounted price of $500.00.

Please forward your check or money order, made payable to "Derf Bergman," to:

Derf Bergman
24 North 11th Street
Miles City, Montana 59301

I am not equipped to accept credit cards at this time but will gladly take cash in the full amount.
You'll find my check in your collection plate, your Reverence.
supporter
Posted by Julie (+420) 12 years ago
I wanna be a Lifetime Member!
Do you also have a hankerin' for splashing Frank's Red Hot in your eyes, Julie?

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (7/24/2009)]
Let us also know that the Tampa Bay Rays are the third ranked offense in MLB, and Buerhle shut them down. Also mention the fact that the White Sox took three of four from the Rays.
Even though this was not a playoff or World Series contest this big game set my Sox up for a four game set with the Motor City Kitties!
Great game Mark and as always go White Sox
If I follow the theme of this topic...ok the other theme...I guess I am gathering like Glendive someone who shall remain nameless...SUCKS!
The "other" theme of this thread is that Mark Buehrle could not possibly have had a "perfect" game last night. It's a complete fraud.

Only Derf Bergman is capable of perfection.
supporter
The question is Frank's 'red hot' what Brian?
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 12 years ago
While in high school, my mother dated the only pitcher to pitch a perfect game in the world series. Care to guess who? Extra points for getting the right year.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 12 years ago
Ken Wilson?
While in high school, my mother dated the only pitcher to pitch a perfect game in the world series. Care to guess who? Extra points for getting the right year.

Already posted earlier in this thread, Wendy. Scroll up.
supporter
Posted by Jim Brady (+425) 12 years ago

I think you may mean the only Major League pitcher to hit a grand slam homerun in a Series game.

Dave NcNally pitching for the Orioles against Cincinnati in the 1970 World Series.

I had the opportunity to see McNally take apart the MC Legion team in MC on at least one occasion.
I had the opportunity to see McNally take apart the MC Legion team in MC on at least one occasion.

That doesn't really put him in that elite of company though, now does it?
supporter
No, Brian was right. Don Larsen had been mentioned earlier and I missed it.
Wendy - Jimbo has a history of problems with equivalencies. Perfect game, grand slam - there's really no difference in the Land of Jimbo.

What he doesn't have a problem with is telling you what you think. He's the undisputed master at that particular skill. He KNOWS that you meant to say "grand slam" instead of "perfect game."

Welcome back, Jimbo. Once it got past 17 days without an appearance from you, I got a little worried. Wait, that's a lie ... I didn't miss you at all.
supporter
Stick it in your ass, Reed. Your s**t wears exceedingly thin.

Anyone who is fixated on the fact it's been (X) days since someone last posted, has a serious mental problem. You need to seek professional help for that nasty obsession disorder.

It's really getting rather creepy.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 12 years ago
Aaaahahahahaha, you're such an angry little prick, it makes me smile.
Nice to see that a topic about a well pitched ballgame has turned into a mincing of words. "Stick it it in your a** Reed" How wonderful...NOT! If you prefer to name call and argue please do so in person and sell tickets...maybe just maybe even sell concessions.
So the rest of us can watch you beat yourselves senseless...dang it all...too late!
Oh, you're too much of a real man for little ol' me to deal with, Jimbo. Go back in the hole you temporarily crawled out of. Or give me a call if you're ever able to summon the stones to talk to me directly. (406) 371-5871.

Note that this is the second time that I've posted it for you. You ran away for nearly three weeks the last time I challenged you to man up. Guess I can expect to see you again on here in the middle of August.

But thanks for your continued "positive" contributions to milescity.com, Jimbo. We're all blessed by your occasional appearances.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (7/26/2009)]

Speaking of things wearing thin......

With "Classy" discourse like like that Jim I can see why Larry the Webmaster has gone into seclusion. Just how old ARE you anyway?

Like Brian said, I guess we'll see you mid-August.

Not that you'd really be missed....

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (7/26/2009)]

Less strut, more guts, please.

Anyone who is fixated on the fact it's been (X) days since someone last posted, has a serious mental problem. You need to seek professional help for that nasty obsession disorder.

You're projecting, Jimbo.

Don't flatter yourself by thinking that it's all that difficult to find out how long it's been since someone posted. Jimbo lobs bombs. Jimbo runs away. It's been your m/o for some time.

But if you want to call having a memory greater than your average grapefruit a "nasty obsession disorder," you go right on ahead. I hope it makes you feel better about yourself.

It's really getting rather creepy.

Do you know what's truly creepy? That you think that you know more about Wendy's mother's dating history than Wendy does. How arrogant are you to think that you know more about what a person means to say than they do? Now that's disturbing.

Speaking of disturbing ...

The question is Frank's 'red hot' what Brian?

Not touching that, Julie. You'd best ask Jimbo - he knows what everyone thinks.
supporter
That IS disturbing Brian! Thanks for always making me laugh ~
27 July 2009

Dear Mr. Reed,

I note that in this morning's financial report for the Sunday July 26th offering appears a notation: $500 for the Derf Bergman Fan Club in the name of one Brian A. Reed. In celebration of this and to recognize your prompt response to the discounted membership campaign (your pledge, the first, arrived 7 minutes and 20 seconds after the offer was posted online), $100 will be forwarded in your name to Stephen Ministries. Stephen Ministries is a Para-church organization that offers training and consulting services all over the United States and Canada. Specifically, this gift will benefit their section which trains leaders of churches, schools, businesses, and other organizations, including on-line communities, to manage and eliminate antagonistic behaviors in their midst. I know this is a cause that is very near to your heart. Kudos to you, Brian, for your commitment to eliminating antagonism wherever it rears its ugly head!

Sincerely,

Derf Bergman

President of the Derf Bergman Fan Club
supporter
Getting back to where this started.

No, Brian was right. Don Larsen had been mentioned earlier and I missed it.

My mistake, I guess. I'm not really sure though, who was at fault in this exchange. Wendy for missing facts in evidence or me for assuming she had read the thread.

You're a lawyer, Wendy? Is that right?

You must have been busy checking grammar and punctuation.

No, I don't presume to know who your mother dated in high school. It was just a SWAG in response to your question since it couldn't have been Don Larsen--Right? He'd already been mentioned.

Kyle.

How old am I?

Too damn old to sit back and take a constant barrage of insults and personal attacks from a nut-job with an obsessive-compulsive disorder. If you accept the way he dumps on your head every time you post, that's your prerogative. Enjoy.

Brian, you don't have to wait until August.

C'mon Brian. Cut the "phone call" crap. It's nothing but a sham-play to the morons here, and you know it.

So, what would we have to talk about Brian? Could we work out our differences like---adults? Can we be drinking buddies?

I think not. Your obsession with having to demean and degrade has driven our exchanges far beyond the point of any rational discussion. You shat the bed a long time ago and there's no going back. I suppose the "adult" thing to do would be to just ignore you but since I am "an angry little prick", it's just not in my nature. You're a jerk and you need to be treated like a jerk. Being on the phone won't change that.

I have no intention of dropping a dime on you Mr. Reed, and stones have nothing to do with it. You are of zero use or importance to me,---unless-- there might be some profit potential involved. That is, unless there is a dollar in it for me, calling you would be a waste of my time as I can get more than enough of your lame drivel, right here, for free.

Since I am a capitalist angry little prick, I have a proposal that may solve your phone jonesin. You appear to be in serious need of professional abuse therapy and the 900 numbers just aren't doing it for you any more. E-mail me your credit card information. I'm sure we can work something out.
supporter
My mistake, I guess. I'm not really sure though, who was at fault in this exchange. Wendy for missing facts in evidence or me for assuming she had read the thread.

You're a lawyer, Wendy? Is that right?

You must have been busy checking grammar and punctuation.

No, I don't presume to know who your mother dated in high school. It was just a SWAG in response to your question since it couldn't have been Don Larsen--Right? He'd already been mentioned.

There's no need to get mad at me, Jim. I don't have any quarrel with you.
Posted by mule train (+1055) 12 years ago
MAN, I LOVE BASEBALL THREADS!!!!!!

Nice mea culpa there, Jimbo. It really is impossible for you to accept that something might be different than the (mistaken) way you've perceived it to be, isn't it? And you say that I'm the one with mental issues? Laughable.

Not that facts matter to you, but here's what Wendy actually posted (not what you imagined she posted):

What "missing facts" are there, Jimbo? There is only one pitcher to have ever pitched a perfect game in the World Series. His name is Don Larsen. Wendy's mother dated Don Larsen.

Had Wendy said "My mother dated the only pitcher to have ever hit a grand slam in a World Series game," you'd be correct in guessing Dave McNally. But she said absolutely nothing of the sort. You only imagined she did - and then blamed her for your inability to understand a simple sentence. The unmitigated nerve of that (uppity) woman!

But as usual, instead of admitting that *gasp!* you could possibly have been wrong, you stuck with what you know and blamed someone else for your problems.

That's why you're a coward, Jimbo. You refuse to hold yourself accountable for your own shortcomings. You fail to recognize the hypocrisy of nearly everything you say, opting instead to project it on others.

Too damn old to sit back and take a constant barrage of insults and personal attacks from a nut-job with an obsessive-compulsive disorder. If you accept the way he dumps on your head every time you post, that's your prerogative. Enjoy.

Kyle and I get along quite well, Jimbo. We disagree on several points, but we're not so different that we don't respect one another. Unlike you, Kyle can recognize the difference between a "personal attack" and a difference of opinion.

If you actually read my responses to "everything he posts," you'd realize that. Or you could just ask him and he'd say the same thing. Or you could just go with what your brain tells you, which reminds me of a Sirius Black quote:

"Once again you've put your keen and penetrating mind to the task and as usual come to the wrong conclusion."

And the rest of your post?

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah You are of zero use or importance to me blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Lots of meaningless words to say that I don't matter. Scuttle along now, Jimbo.

Sure he does, Wendy.

You said something that ran counter to the way Jimbo thinks it should be. You committed the cardinal sin of disagreeing with Jimbo.

I know this is a cause that is very near to your heart. Kudos to you, Brian, for your commitment to eliminating antagonism wherever it rears its ugly head!

You set such a fine example of "eliminating antagonism," your Reverence. I can't help but follow your lead.
MAN, I LOVE BASEBALL THREADS!!!!!!

It was a great thread once, wasn't it? Sigh.
"eliminating antagonism," will be impossible, unless you are gagged.

And it was a baseball thread at one time. It only lasted two posts and in the third the anger issues surfaced.

Nice try cbadmnb2001.

[This message has been edited by Derf Bergman (7/27/2009)]
It wasn't "anger" that emerged, Derf. It was my realization - an epiphany if you will - that Derf is never incorrect.

Much like a person who sees the Virgin Mary on a tortilla, I felt compelled to shout about my moment of clarity from the rooftops, so to speak.

Nothing more or less than that, your Reverence.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (7/27/2009)]
supporter
It's proven time and again, I'm always right.

P.S. Kyle, I'm starting to love you, really. I wanted to give you a sissie liberal beating, but I'm growing much fonder of you (you're seeing the light a little bit and I will be too, unless Obama chokes Max out and tells them to quit effing around, cut that thing down a thousand pages, and pass it.)
It was my realization - an epiphany if you will

And we were in conversation at the time?

Much like a person who sees the Virgin Mary on a tortilla

For some strange reason this put me in mind of a fragment of a quote from C.S. Lewis "He would either be a lunatic -- on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg . . ." Was your epiphany similar to that?

And you, of all personages, God Emperor, should know that the Divine Monarch of Planet Brian has no need to use titular honorarium. But I do appreciate the attempted condescension.

[This message has been edited by Derf Bergman (7/27/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 12 years ago
Ummm....screw all of you bozos.

Back to the topic.....Mark Buehrle.....yawn.

Now, Dock Ellis.....he threw a no-hitter once....he was my kind of baseball player.

How about those Philadelphia Phillies????
supporter
Yep, that's one of the funniest stories, ever. I saw him talking about it on some show, funny.
A lot of people though Bob Gibson would never throw one. But he did.
Ah! Another nugget in the Book of Derf. Lemme jot this down ...

"Only Derf may condescend, for Derf knows all (and you know nothing.) When conversing with Derf, imitation is assuredly not the sincerest form of flattery."

So Sayeth Derf. SO SAY WE ALL!

You continue to impress, your Reverence. Please tell me more so that I might continue to revere you. Please never "take your magic elsewhere, holy man!"

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (7/28/2009)]
Thank you, God Emperor!

Now Koufax, there was a pitcher. Four no hitters in four years.

[This message has been edited by Derf Bergman (7/28/2009)]
Derf - it's Mister Kwisatz Haderach to you.

Koufax was an outstanding pitcher, especially over the second half of his relatively short (12-year) career.

The first half? Not so much.

From 1955-60, Koufax was 36-40 (.474 pct) with a 4.10 ERA and a rather pedestrian 1.69:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

But the last six seasons - and especially the last four - of his career were as good as anyone has ever pitched.

Two lessons to be learned here:

Lesson #1 (for Kyle): Don't give up on Brandon Morrow so soon.
Lesson #2 (for Derf): Other pitchers were better sooner and longer.

* This message was posted without the expressed, written consent of Major League Baseball and, of course, Derf.

supporter

I'm not picking a fight with you Wendy.

That was more or less meant for the idiot here who believes he's gifted with the ability to know all and see all. Brian, The Omnipotent, who's only mistake has been that one time, he actually thought he was wrong about something.

Hey Derf..

Thanks for taking over. I have other stuff to do.
We feel your presence, Muad'Dib. But it's a no hitters thread.

A conversant response might be: "How about Johnny Vander Meer? Two no hitters in a row!"

Or: "Clay Buchholz. A no hitter and then most of the next two seasons in the minors."

Didn't Jessica teach you any manners?

[This message has been edited by Derf Bergman (7/28/2009)]
That was more or less meant for the idiot here who believes he's gifted with the ability to know all and see all. Brian, The Omnipotent, who's only mistake has been that one time, he actually thought he was wrong about something.

Seems I read something remarkably similar to this somewhere before ... good one, hack!

A conversant response might be: "How about Johnny Vander Meer? Two no hitters in a row!"

Or: "Clay Buchholz. A no hitter and then most of the next two seasons in the minors."

Too easy, too obvious.

Besides, I have a better idea. How's 'bout you just have a conversation with yourself? That way, no one will argue with you and you can be the undisputed master of the conversation. It seems to be what you really want. Does that sound good, your Reverence?

You might, God Emperor, want to refrain from using words, like conversation, that you don't understand.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 12 years ago
UPDATE: Buehrle perfect through five tonight vs. Twins. 62 pitches. I've got Sox +122. Holding my breath - scoreless tie, top of 6th.
You might, God Emperor, want to refrain from using words, like conversation, that you don't understand.

Says the man who speaks from the pulpit.

Says the man who's always on the radio.

Yeah, Derf. Right.

Moving on ...

Bob beat me to it, but good luck to Mark Buehrle tonight. Even Bob Gibson never had a perfect game, let alone got 43 consecutive batters out.

And the streak ends at 45. Still outstanding.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 12 years ago
Buehrle loses perfect game and no hitter in 6th - issues a walk to Casilla with 2 out, followed up by a single by Span. Posednik misplays a fly ball from Mauer - ground rule double.

Crap.

1-1 after six.
supporter
Sure is quiet
Sure is.
Mmm hmm. Quiet today. Quiet yesterday. Even more quiet today ...
Where's Jimbo when you don't need him....
He'll pop back in tomorrow and say in some snide, snively way that I'm somehow "obsessing" over him, simply because I have an eye for detail. Then he'll scuttle off to Mt. Grumpit.