Recycling in Miles City
Posted by John Korpela (+28) 12 years ago
Just imagine each man, woman and child in Miles city driving a 14' moving van to the dump, completely filled with trash. The line of vans would stretch for over 21 miles. That's the amount of trash that Eastern Montana Industries has recycled for Miles City since 1991. It's hard to imagine that much waste, which is about 19 million pounds or roughly 5,800,000 cubic feet of solid waste. Among the materials recycled included glass, clothing, aluminum, plastics, magazines, office paper, and phone books.

Eastern Montana Industries is a non-profit corporation that provides vocational and residential services to adults with disabilities and it depends heavily upon local support for its recycling operation. EMI's recycling operation has been increasing in production every year since its inception but with the fluctuating economy, its overhead and operating costs can eat most of the money it makes from selling the recycled materials. This has an impact on EMI's budget, which it uses its recycling operation to subsidize, thus having a negative impact on over 170 individuals with disabilities in Eastern Montana.

Would you like a way to help the environment and Montanans with disabilities at the same time? Well, there are ways you can help beyond dropping off recycled materials at our Haynes Ave. location. First, you can make a monetary donation. The donation is tax deductible and because of our low administrative costs, most of your donation makes a direct impact. Another way to help would be to write our county solid waste board and remind them of the millions of pounds of material Eastern Montana Industries diverts every year. In 2008 we diverted 1.36 million pounds of trash from the landfill, which is the equivalent of eight 32-gallon trash bags for every person in Miles City, making it our best year ever. We'd like to keep setting records and with your help we will. For more information call us at (406) 234-3740 or visit us at emi-mt.org.
Posted by Ryan (+483) 12 years ago
Thanks John for posting this information. EMI has been a great asset for our community. I know personally we buy our rags from them when working on our cars and have in the past bought a cedar chest.
Posted by gypsykim (+1561) 12 years ago
I just had a friend visiting from Gillette. They have curbside recycling and can recycle many items we cannot: water bottles, the plastic containers berries come in, etc. However, they are unable to recycle glass. I am assuming this has to do with a market to take the products after they are recycled.

I personally take everything I can to EMI. I think it is a great service for our community. What do we need to do to get them to take more items?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15076) 12 years ago
"I just had a friend visiting from Gillette. They have curbside recycling and can recycle many items we cannot: water bottles, the plastic containers berries come in, etc. However, they are unable to recycle glass. I am assuming this has to do with a market to take the products after they are recycled."

While we don't have curbside recycling of glass, you can take glass to the recycling center at the landfill.

http://www.ccgov.net/depa...enter.html
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2737) 12 years ago
Hey hey hey! Miles City is swinging along with the 21st Century when it comes to recycling thanks Rachel and Dustin Sloan and their new company, Miles City Curbside Recyling. It's listed right in the directory of milescity.com -- or even easier, you can click on the link below to learn more:

http://www.mccurbside.com/

For $10 a month they will come to your CURBSIDE and pick up aluminum and steel cans, #2 plastic food and beverage containers, and all sorts of paper (newspapers, white paper, cardboard, etc.). It's a great deal, helps the environment, and helps a small locally-owned business succeed as well as supports the EMI program.

This is one of those things were everyone wins.
Posted by Little Chick (+57) 12 years ago
Correct me if I'm wrong but several years ago I was told by an EMI employee that Coors Brewing stopped picking up their glass bottles so all glass left at EMI was crushed and sent to the landfill. Does anyone know if this is true? Also I thought they took #1 plastic bottles at EMI but from reading other posts it looks like they only take #2 plastics is that information also correct or am I misreading those posts?

Thanks
Little Chick-

While it is true that we currently crush the glass we receive(which significantly reduces the volume), we are actively seeking other options to once again recycle the glass. We are excited to have a Americorps VISTA that is currently looking into other options and we are very optimistic.

On you question about the plastic, we do recycle the following #2 plastics:
#2 (HDPE) plastic -uncolored-milk and distilled water jugs
#2 (HDPE) plastic - colored-laundry detergent bottles, other colored bottles and jugs. Look for the recycling symbol on the bottom of the bottle. It must have the number (2) inside the symbol for recycling.

The plastic container MUST have a bottle neck i.e. no margarine containers, plastic coffee containers, etc.

I hope that helps
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1807) 12 years ago
Has anyone seen the counter tops made from recycled glass and concrete? They're really different. There's a use for the Depot, someone could open a Go Green recycled products factory!
Posted by Little Chick (+57) 12 years ago
Thanks for the information John. I hope the glass recycling starts up again soon, until than I will continue to bring mine in to be crushed.

Could you tell us why EMI doesn't take #1 plastics, I thought they were suppose to be the easiest to recycle or is that just bad information?
Little Chick-

We do recycle:

#1 (Pete) plastic-pop and soft drink bottles as well as single serving water bottles

Thanks