1959 Saturday Evening Post - Reiger family
Posted by RA (+648) 12 years ago
As I was conducting some research this morning concerning Miles City, I found an interesting item on eBay that might be of some interest to members of the area's Reiger family. . . .

Included in the 1959 Saturday Evening Post that is currently being offered, is a photo and a 2-page article concerning Adolph Rieger, wife and their 70 or so children and grandchildren near Miles City and Baker, Montana.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1959-...7C294%3A50
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17055) 12 years ago
Adolph Rieger, wife and their 70 or so children and grandchildren

70?

I wonder how many those 70 have multiplied to 50 years later. They could represent a sizable chunk of Fallon County's population.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 12 years ago
Seventy progeny and "the wife" doesn't even warrant a name?
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+586) 12 years ago
http://www.rootsweb.ances...0-470.html

Wendy,
This article says her name was Lydia & that the family name was spelled Rieger.
founder
supporter
Posted by H Lockie (+199) 12 years ago
The Rieger family lived near Plevna, Mt., and Adolph and Lydia had 21 children. The original house is still being lived in and I believe some of the Riegers still own this place. Ruby was a good friend while she lived in Miles City in the 50's; She and her husband, Ralph Hatch, moved to Billings where they raised their family and are both deceased. There are still Riegers in the Plevna-Ismay area.
supporter
Posted by Dixie Rieger (+327) 12 years ago
Just to set the record straight, My Grandmother had 18 children. My brother still lives on the homestead on fallon creek. If you get an opportunity to see an issue of the Saturday evening post, Im the really cute Blonde 3 year old with my hand on grandmas leg. We Have had a family reuion every 5 years. Our 1989 reuion had over 327 relatives show up. Every state in the U.S. was represented but 2.
Posted by Craig Rieger (+12) 10 years ago
I came down the lineage of Adolph's brother John. I can't tell you how many people I know that knew Adolph's family, especially as my mother is from Baker. The Physical Education Building equipment man at MSU had a copy of the Saturday evening post with the family reunion picture, and even a teacher I had in Junior High (in Billings) was in the military with Paul.
Posted by Jay Johnson (+53) 10 years ago
I'm a little late in catching this entry. Can anyone tell me if Ruby Rieger taught shorthand at the Jr. College in the early 50's?
Posted by Ben Hughes (+21) 10 years ago
Ruby and Ralph owned Hatch Realty in Billings. Raplh died in 1975 and Ruby died in 1994.
supporter
Posted by Dixie Rieger (+327) 10 years ago
If any one needs any history on my family and knew any of the imediate family, Made in Montana has our New cookbook and each chapter has a history of each family member. It's quite good if I must say so myself.