Costco and Ameriprise Auto Insurance
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 12 years ago
I received a letter from Ameriprise informing me that because I am a Costco member that I am eligible for an exclusive money saving discount on my home and auto insurance.

I usually just toss this stuff but today chose to read it. The back states:

We are pleased to tell you that you have met the insurance company's initial eligibility requirements for this special offer, based on information obtained from TransUnion, the consumer reporting agency.

When I signed up for a Costco card I didn't give them permission to check my credit record. They didn't tell me that they were going to automatically do this.

So..if you have a Costco card be alerted that they are going to be checking your credit record.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 12 years ago
Look at the bright side: at least you had a good enough credit rating to get into the theater.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 12 years ago
Wow...they're connected too?
Posted by J. Dyba (+1350) 12 years ago
It's not a fully disclosed credit report like those that occur when you apply for credit. You are thinking about a "Consumer" credit report which requires your permission to conduct.

A "Commercial" credit check has several forms of enquiry but typically provides a rough estimate of credit worthiness without disclosing specific details. It can also be used to verify employment or professional relationships to public corporate entities. This type does not require your permission as most of the information that is provided is in the public domain already.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1893) 12 years ago
That may be true, Dyba, but now Costco knows our every move............
OUR EVERY MOVE! If you buy a 64-pack of toilet paper somewhere else, they are gonna be pissed!
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
Look at the bright side: at least you had a good enough credit rating to get into the theater.

Ha!

That $15 dollar pop/popcorn combo you bought just ruined your credit rating, Kacey. Drag.