Old Custer Motors Building
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6174) 12 years ago
What's the deal with the old Custer Motors building on next to the court house? It's truly disgusting and right on Main Street to boot. Aren't there city standards that it's violating? Does anyone know the scoop on it?
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16853) 12 years ago
The owner is still waiting for the government to bail out AMC.
Posted by LG (+193) 12 years ago
So that's a Matador?
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1890) 12 years ago
Its empty! I was hoping to get my Pacer fixed!
Posted by Kacey (+3156) 12 years ago
I bought my first new car there from Trafton. It was a lemon and I made him take it back!
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16853) 12 years ago
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9858) 12 years ago
So who does have the Hudson, Nash, and Rambler franchise in Miles now?
supporter
We were driving through Baker on our way to Glendive (circuitous route, I know) and couldn't help notice how rundown the city center was. We thought about stopping for lunch but didn't feel comfortable going into any of the establishments we saw. It was the same feeling I get when I'm in Butte and certain parts of Miles City. Don't people take pride in their surroundings anymore? You don't need money to keep things clean and neat or to pull weeds. It was just sad.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2741) 12 years ago
Oh Oh Wendy. Be careful. You could be breathing new life into the "Dogpatch" thread, and you know what happened last time!

I can handle the weeds and tall grass better than I can the junked cars that seem to be stashed in about 40% of the yards in Miles City and 80% of the vacant lots (including those on North 7th Street and both entrances from I-94).

I wonder why Miles Citians aren't more concerned about our community laying out that kind of a welcome mat? Don't people realize that like people, city's only get one chance to make a good first impression? And, as Wendy described, that impression makes the difference between people wanting to stop and get a closer look (and maybe a meal, or a book, or a keepsake) --- or lock the doors and keep moving through.

I remember one of the criticisms leveled at the mayor for enforcing the City's ordinances forbidding junked cars from being stored on open property. The person advised the mayor to stop hassling people to clean up their properties and instead focus on bringing new companies to Miles City to create better jobs. The critical connection between making a place ATTRACTIVE and being able to ATTRACT new jobs was obviously lost on this individual.
supporter
I'll take my chances, Steve. There is no reasonable response to not keeping up your property. Note I said reasonable. I'm sure there will be plenty of nonsensical ones.
supporter
Well put, Wendy. As always...
Posted by Kacey (+3156) 12 years ago
Wendy,
Don't you know that some of the tackiest looking buildings hold some of the best restaurants? Wicked Wanda's trailer in Forsyth had the BEST food.

I will say that today I went into an Arby's. As I looked at the menu the manager yelled at someone in the back to remember to wash their hands! Yep...that is the kind of thing that makes me eat elsewhere. Which I did!
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4460) 12 years ago
Absolutely Steve.

But once we've catered to, and captured all 10 nationally available jobs in the Windmill-powered Tofu Cannery and Dinner Theater Supply Chain industries, what'll we do then?
supporter
Kacey,

Fast food restaurants, even if clean, are hardly my idea of attractive architecture. We like to go to locally owned establishments and many are little hole-in-the-wall places but they are generally clean and look cared for. I'm just asking for people to pick up their trash, pull weeds, repair cracked windows, and paint or clean the building facades. Is that really too much to ask?
supporter
I heard someone say tonight that he can discern the condition of a restaurant's kitchen by the cleanliness of its restrooms.

My mother judged it by whether the glass in the door was clean and free of smudges.

I think what Wendy is saying is that she can make that determination from an even greater distance - if the yard is unkempt, the building is poorly maintained, and the windows are dirty, it's a pretty safe bet that the kitchen is all those things, too.

That logic should easily pass the Mr. Spock test.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6023) 12 years ago

Violet Beauregarde's mum and dad (Sam), of course!
I wonder why Miles Citians aren't more concerned about our community laying out that kind of a welcome mat? Don't people realize that like people, city's only get one chance to make a good first impression? And, as Wendy described, that impression makes the difference between people wanting to stop and get a closer look (and maybe a meal, or a book, or a keepsake) --- or lock the doors and keep moving through.

But unkempt yards keep people's attention away from Main Street, Steve.

:divesforcover:
supporter
Brian - You can dive but you can't hide.
:hidesbehindlincolntowncarinovergrownyardonsouthfourth:

Wait a minute ... that's a horrible idea!

:hidesinoversizedterracottapot:

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (7/15/2009)]
founder
Posted by Chad (+1761) 12 years ago

I think it's actually Cody Steiner- he seems to have the corner on Hudsons in this end of the state. He's actually at the National Hudson Convention out east as we speak. He drove his yellow Hudson out I believe.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2677) 12 years ago
"Violet Beauregarde's mum and dad (Sam), of course!"

Brian, you and I think way too much alike sometimes!
Brian, you and I think way too much alike sometimes!

You should be afraid, Kelly. Very, very afraid.
supporter
I think you both should be afraid.