Posted by Slosh (+692) 14 years ago
What is the best way to turn regular beer into green beer. I know that I should know this by now, but I've never actually done this at home, I usually just go to the bar.
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+821) 14 years ago
Why would you want to do that to beer? If you celebrate St. Patrick's Day, you should drink good Irish whisky, such as Bushmill's, or Jameson's. However, if you must, a few drops of green food coloring should do the trick on the beer, and your teeth, and your tongue.....
founder
Posted by Chad (+1766) 14 years ago
If you plan ahead you can order kegs of green beer from you local keg supplier.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5040) 14 years ago
Dona:

You're a woman after my heart. It's too bad that you're married.

Jameson's is the best ever. I'll be hoisting a few tomorrow night in the comfort of the family room, watching three NCAA hoops games simultaneously. Good times.

Have you ever tried Bushmill's Irish Creme? It's great on the rocks as an after dinner drink; you can taste a hint of Bushmill's whiskey.

Happy St. Patty's Day!
supporter
Bushmill's is my preferred tipple! I have a pre-audit with my accountant tomorrow before the GREAT ORDEAL next Tuesday. And surely, tomorrow evening, I will be indulging a deep Irish thirst. And here's to Sinn Fein - I'll drink to that organization, too. And maybe spill a wee drap on the ground to deplore the ignorance of our current President for not inviting the lads. (A wee, wee drap -too fine to waste on him!)
supporter
Good luck with the IRS audit. *gulp*

The IRS auditor is still submitting information requests for the business where I work. It's so much fun; the audit's only in its third week.
supporter
I have a fine accountant - and if that's not enough, a really fine lawyer. And I keep excellent records. I have been living on Zanax and Bushmills, just because I have a tendency to be obsessive, and we have two businesses, plus our day to day careers. I'll get through it - the IRS is like the scarecrow in OZ. A strawman, set to frighten those who frighten easily. I wish you well in your battles.
PS - Is a donation to Sinn Fein tax deductible?
supporter
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not too worried; we've got the best tax accountant in the region, and I'm no slouch myself. Actually, I'm a tremendous slouch.

Well, time for me to leave work for the Tav where a nice frosty Guiness awaits.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13655) 14 years ago
Well, since no one has answered your question Slosh, the easiest way is to buy green food coloring at the grocery store. Its in the baking section, but you usually have to buy an assortment of colors. When you get home, pour a pitcher of Bud Light (this doesn't work very well with Guinness). Add a drop or two at a time, stir it carefully so it doesn't foam over, and repeat until you get the color you like.

(Note: the above post should not in anyway be construed that I endorse green beer. Its Jameson and Guinness for me).
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14076) 14 years ago
I don't know why anyone would want to try salvaging "liquid purgatory" (aka. Bud Light) with green food coloring. It would be a waste of food coloring. Go have a Guniness Extra Stout.

If you insist on drinking something green, try cream de minth, vodka, and seven-up.
founder
Posted by Joe Whalen (+176) 14 years ago
Two years ago, when the drive from here to Baker on Hwy. 12 was as green and misty as County Cork herself, two young Irishmen blew into town for the World Famous Miles City Bucking Horse Sale. One of them was a tailor in Dublin and the other, a marketing executive for the Guinness Brewing Co.

They flew to the U.S. with a planned itinerary for northern Rockies sightseeing. They were headed to Yellowstone and Jackson when they heard of the Sale from a Billings hotel clerk. They spontaneously changed their plans and spent the next three days using their brogues to maximum effect within the Bison, the Montana, the Range Riders, the Texas Club and the Trails Inn, and they mixed it up with locals in the grandstands at the fairgrounds.

They bought hats, boots, and spurs to wear into their offices on their first day home in Dublin. I shipped a bunch of books to Ireland for them: John Moore, McGuane, Doig, Toole, Stegner, Spragg, & Blunt. They called later and ordered more. Their appetite for all things Miles City was as big as my thirst has traditionally been for Guinness or Harp on St. Patrick's Day.

I thought we might see Miles City factor into Guinness advertising someday. We may still, although I hear that Guinness has been purchased by Diageo, an importer based in Stanford, CT. and is now called Diageo-GUINNESS USA. Evidently, Guinness is brewing Budweiser for Ireland now.

"Globalization Is Good For You" or something like that.

This St. Patrick's Day I'll be drinking locally-brewed Old Milestown because it's the finest, freshest beer found in eastern Montana and Jameson's, the Catholic whiskey, in a nod to the O'Faolain clan of County Waterford - the blood source of both sides of my family.
supporter
Gunnar, I did address Slosh's query - and food coloring was my suggestion, too. I questioned the advisability of drinking green beer - and I still do. Nasty stuff! Irish whisky is the obvious (to me) solution. No question of authenticity or taste! Slainte!
founder
Posted by Joe Whalen (+176) 14 years ago
You know, you can drink green beer if you wish, but just think of what color your liver will be when it's donated to the next guy.

Ever consider that, Slosh?
Posted by Slosh (+692) 14 years ago
At this point I highly doubt my liver will be of much use to anybody else, or myself.