Rest in Peace - Prince of Pop
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2735) 10 years ago
Michael Jackson dead at 50. Weird as he was the past 20 or so years, he sure made my youth and young adulthood a THRILLER. I'm not sure what is more tragic - a premature death, or a childhood that never happened yet never ended -- maybe that's why he called his house Neverland.

Good night, talented Prince.
Posted by ABE (+413) 10 years ago
BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!

Mark Sanford's political career just bought Michael Jackson a beer in the afterlife.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+507) 10 years ago
No, I know I am not a great Christian. I know that forgiveness is divine, and maybe I do hope that God has forgiven him, if that is what he wanted.

But the facts stand.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13757) 10 years ago
I have never cared for Michael Jackson's solo music....but this, my friends.....

This is the real deal. Pop music at its finest.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 10 years ago
The accusations stand...
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1884) 10 years ago
Jackson's biggest crime was making himself an easy target.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4452) 10 years ago
And being crazy - bad news when you have a bank roll.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6018) 10 years ago
Oh, he may have contributed to enterainment, but I was talking about truly meaningful things. Nothing. In fact, the opposite.

What a drab, colorless life you must lead.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3749) 10 years ago
While this is a time for mourning I came across this on Comcast and thought it was kind of amusing.

Remembering Michael
Musician Tyson Stevens, center, joins other fans to remember Michael Jackson at the star they believe belongs to pop star Michael Jackson but that belongs to a radio personality of the same name on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Thursday June 25, 2009 in Los Angeles
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2735) 10 years ago
I guess in the above situation, it's the thought that counts... either that or the radio DJ Michael Jackson is 'up there' enjoying his biggest audience EVER!
supporter
Dang.....I thought that was the star of Michael Jackson THE BEER HUNTER.....now there was a show business legend whose passing came all too quick.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1288) 10 years ago
I don't care what you say I had that poster on my wall growing up as a horny teenage boy and still can remember it and what it meant to me. What! this is a post for Michael Jackson , well then never mind I thought it was a Ed McMahon post.
Posted by BR5490 (+27) 10 years ago
I apologise in advance for this one but....

Due to the fact that Michael Jackson is 99% plastic he will be melted down into lego blocks so kids can play with him for a change!
Posted by Kass Portra (+34) 10 years ago
I'm conflicted. Musically, he offered much enjoyment. But...
He was raised in dysfunction and then became it. There may be reasons for why he was a child molester, but reasons are not excuses. I do not have that much forgiveness in my heart. He hurt innocent children. There is blame enough to go around for what has happened to those kids, but ultimately, MJ is culpable.

God know him better than anyone and will pass final judgement, but my heart feels no sadness with his death.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4452) 10 years ago
He wasn't a child molestor, Lord Jesus Kass.

Good one about the children playing with him, though.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (6/26/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1276) 10 years ago
Well, even though he was a "public" freak in later life (probably a freak his whole life, just wasn't as obvious), I think the singing career deserves credit. I mean, the guy sold three quarters of a BILLION, with a "B", records!

I think that anyone that grew up with that music (and liked it), is a little sad today. For the 80's kids, this is like Elvis dying for people of the 60's.

If you don't like him, whatever. But don't be critical of the people who respected the music! No one else did what he did in entertainment.

From Wiki:

Jackson has supported more charities than any other pop singer - 39 charitable organizations either with monetary donations through sponsorships of their projects or the participation in their activities. The charities involved include AIDS Project L.A., American Cancer Society, BMI Foundation, Inc., Childhelp USA, United Negro College Fund, YMCA - 28th Street/Crenshaw, The Sickle Cell Research Fund and Volunteers of America[7].

David O. Selznick's 1940 Best Film Oscar for Gone with the Wind (USA, 1939) was bought by Jackson for $1,542,000 on June 12, 1999, at Sotheby's, New York City. The Academy Awards no longer permits such sales, all but ensuring that it will remain the most expensive Oscar.

Jackson and Bubbles, a porcelain sculpture created by the artist Jeff Koons in 1988 sold for $5,616,750 at Sotheby's in New York City on May 15, 2001. The piece measures 106.7 x 179.1 x 82.6 cm (42 x 70.5 x 32.5 in) and is described as a mix of pop culture and high art. The sculpture shows Jackson reclining with his arm around his pet monkey. It is the most valuable sculpture by a living artist.

Jackson's part feature film, part music video, Ghosts (USA, 1996), is 38 minutes long and was based on an original concept by horror writer Stephen King. Jackson plays five different roles in the video, directed by Stan Winston. It is the longest music video of all time.

Jackson holds the record for most expensive music video ("Scream" in 1995 with sister Janet Jackson) cost reportedly over seven million U.S. dollars.

On November 14, 1991, Michael Jackson's music video, Black or White was broadcast simultaneously in 27 countries with an estimated audience of 500 million people. It is the largest audience ever to view a music video.

In March 1991, Jackson signed a new record-breaking US$890 million contract by Sony. It is still the largest recording contract of all time.

In 1986 Jackson signed a $15 million deal with Pepsi - it was the largest ever endorsement for product promotion.
Jackson has the record for the two best-selling VHS music videos ever released ("Moonwalker" [1988] in first place, and "The Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller" [1984] in second place).

Jackson jointly holds the record for most Grammy Awards won in a single year. He won eight awards at the 1984 ceremony. This was equaled by Carlos Santana at the 2001 ceremony.

Jackson jointly holds the record for most American Music Awards won in a single year, winning eight awards at the 1984 ceremony. This was equaled by Whitney Houston at the 1994 ceremony.

Jackson jointly holds the record for the most World Music Awards won in a single year, with five awards at the 1996 ceremony (tied with Whitney Houston from the 1994 ceremony).

Jackson holds the record for winning more Billboard awards than any other male artist, having 26.

Jackson holds the record for winning more Billboard awards than any other artist in one year, grabbing 13 in 1983.

Jackson has more music awards than any other artist in the history of music.

Honored as artist of the decade by former President, George H. W. Bush in 1989 and another seven awards from others.

Named "Artist Of The Century" at the American Music Awards ceremony in 2002.

Jackson's "Bad World Tour" (1987-1989) was the highest-grossing tour ever at the time, with over $125 million earned. This record was later broken by the "Dangerous World Tour" (1992-1993) and later broken again by the "HIStory World Tour" (1996-1997), which is still the biggest tour ever in terms of international attendance (4.4 million tickets outside of USA).

Michael Jackson is the only foreign artist to have sold more than 1,500,000 units in Turkey with all his albums (Off The Wall, Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, HIStory, Blood On The Dance Floor and Invincible). Bad is the best-selling foreign album in Turkey with the sales of 560,000 units. HIStory is the best-selling double album by a foreign artist in Turkey with more than 145,000 units sold.
Jackson's album "Thriller" (1982) is the best selling album of all time with more than 104 million copies.

Would have been the biggest audience ever to see an artist in one city, from "This Is It" in 2009.

Would have been the most amount of people to attend a series of arena shows, from "This Is It" in 2009.

The fastest ticket sales in history, with 700,000 tickets sold in about four hours for the cancelled "This Is It" tour in 2009.

Jackson is the fourth best selling artist of all time with over 750 million records sold. (First, second and third are as follows: 1. The Beatles, 2. Elvis Presley, 3. Bing Crosby)

At one stage, Michael Jackson was one of the wealthiest entertainers in the world, with a fortune of more than $750 million. [8]
Jackson has been given 197 recognized awards.
That's all well and good, but Cory, did he ever feed his cat and dog?

Doing those "truly meaningful things" would make him truly special.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14145) 10 years ago
"That's all well and good, but Cory, did he ever feed his cat and dog?"

And even more importantly was he a landlord who allowed pets.

~~~~~~~~~~

The "King of Pop" is a self-proclaimed title. It is kind of like Budweiser claiming to be the the king of beers without being necessarily the beer of kings.

IMO, Jackson was a freak-show on estrogen. I have a hard time calling his "music" music. But then I also recognize that I am in the far right tail of a standardized bell-curve, at least three deviations from the mean.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (6/26/2009)]
The "King of Pop" is a self-proclaimed title. It is kind of like Budweiser claiming to the the King of beers without being necessarily the beer of kings.

Or Rush saying he's the "all-knowing, all-caring, all-sensing, all-feeling, Maha-Rushie" with "talent on loan from God."
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14145) 10 years ago
Confession is good for the soul, isn't it Brian.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9347) 10 years ago
>> I have a hard time calling his "music" music. . . .

It wasn't my favorite kind of music, but it seems that it had a beat people could dance to.

You've lost me, Richard.
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+402) 10 years ago
I do not get the idea that his music was wonderful. Yes, he was popular but that does not make it good music.

And Brian, about this----"What a drab, colorless life you must lead."

That cracked me up. I have been contacted by 2 different writers who want to write a book about my work. I am going to do that myself someday. And NO ONE who knows me would call my life dull, if you only knew! I would LOVE for it to be dull for a change. When I married my husband he promised "never a dull moment" but even he did not know what a roller coaster we would spend our lives on.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 10 years ago
Ahh milescity.com - where no one, whether they're convicted or not, ever gets what they deserve.

Our criminal justice system may be dysfunctional in many ways, but I'll take that over the court of public opinion any day.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4947) 10 years ago
Well stated Bridgier.....
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3716) 10 years ago
Yes, he was popular but that does not make it good music.

How do you define "good"? Music that you like? Jackson had genuine talent. There's no denying it. By any metric he was one of the greatest musical performers of all time. You may not like it but that doesn't mean it's not "good".
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1414) 10 years ago
Well, there is an opening now:

Recipe:

Take one of these:

Add- one of these:

And season with one of these:

Keep away from children!

FH
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9347) 10 years ago
Frank, you forgot this one:

Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+402) 10 years ago
They say Brittny Spears is a music icon too and very talented. Same caliber!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 10 years ago
Hal, you've outdone yourself with the prison video. Hysterical!

Donna, Brittany Spears has no musical talent but most musicologists agree that Michael Jackson contributed significantly to pop music. Now as far as the caliber of the man himself I think he was given an OJ pass but that's just my opinion.
In light of Jacko's passing this kind of tacky but pretty funny.

Q: What's the difference between Michael Jackson and a supermarket shopping bag?

A: One is made of plastic and is dangerous to children and the other is made for carrying groceries.

One day long time ago..My family was watching one of the shows about M.J. and it began with a picture taken around the time he began his journey,7 or 8 years old. My little brother turned to us and said
"Micheal Jackson's black?"

We all laughed our butts off, then all at once realized that he was young enough to never had known any different. My brother had never seen any pictures of Jacksons younger years.

Thats when I realized that no matter what he looked like, how insane his life seemed, what rumours were going on, or law suits were on the front page...most people would still remember the almost shy looking kid from a pretty ruff background that could out sing anyone on earth. He did that for what 41 years. What's the average career now days, four at most?

Just face it, mentally he was a man who NEVER grew up.
But, did we ever want him to?

[This message has been edited by ABE (6/26/2009)]
Posted by Jody K (+106) 10 years ago
Here is one for you: Farrah Fawcett died and went to heaven. When she got there God told her she could ask for anything, she asked for all children to be safe. So he killed Michael.

I like the former Michael, but in his later years I think he was a totally different person.
Posted by Gail Finch Shipek (+98) 10 years ago
It occurred to me that Michael Jackson is modern day Mozart. Both were talented beyond comparison. Both were eccentric and lacking, may I call it "maturity." I do believe MJ's music and dance will survive the ages just as Mozart's music has and will continue.
Both died broke.
Posted by Matt Schmitz (+406) 10 years ago
Out sing anyone on earth? Thats a monster stretch ABE. Great performer, good dancer, but on his best day, there is still a very large number of vocalists that tower over his vocal skills.
There is still a very large number of vocalists that tower over his vocal skills.

Like this guy perhaps?

Yeah, I over bit on that one. I was going for something like - very few singers can give you that "yeah" feeling like when you hear ABC or some of the early MOTOWN songs. Not many can, but there are some, and all of them, in my opinion are the greatest.

I will admit though, I try not to think of the older freak he may have became. If I were put into the same situation, I'd be talking to Belushi,Hendrix, and Lennon instead of you guys.
Thats better ABE.
Thanks.....you get what I tried to say then? I can't seem to come up with the right words.
On one end you have Micheal Jackson the great and on the other end you have a pile of bizzare Micheal Jackson.

Both way the same in my eyes, unless you take into account the stuff with kids, then he becomes Hittler like. He did alot of great stuff early on, then went totaly ape SH*@ freaking bat nuts insane.

OH GOD TAHT DID NOT COME OUT RIGHT. By early on things I meant the AutoBaun. I NO WAY ENDORSE anything that bastard did. Just tried to make a point. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by ABE (6/27/2009)]
It's what makes music so much a part of life. The old question of who's the best bass player/guitarist/drummer/saxophonist/keyboard player/vocalist/ yada yada yada. It can never be answered. My ear hears things differently than yours. My background, lifestyle, surroundings, circle of friends and a million other things influence what I like, and why I like it. Same with all of us. But it all makes for good discussion. My sister and I have very similar tastes in music. I gave her "Gladys Knight and the Pips Greatest Hits" for a listen, and it did nothing for her. Yet I still listen to it all the time, and it rocks my world. As long as it's not ghetto thump, I will listen to it, and find something to appreciate. Yet you may love the ghetto boogie. I just got home tonight from the Headwaters Country Music Festival in Three Forks. Saw The Carter Twins, Little Texas, and Tracy Lawrence. The Carter Twins reminded me of a boy band with cowboy hats, but the crowd loved em. Little Texas and Tracy Lawrence were great. And most of my friends will be stunned to hear that I even went to a country event like that. Here's one of those statements for ya. I think the best songwriters in the world write country songs. But there will be plenty of crap thrown my way for saying that outloud. But it fits my ear. And it means the discussion will never end.
You got it. Thanks man.
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+930) 10 years ago
Day three and this morning Jackson is still the lead story on CNN, BBC, and New York Times web sites -- to just mention a few. Now, if he had come back-to-life today, I could see that being the lead story. Three days later (and this is just coincidence, no I'm not trying to draw any comparisons) I think there must be more important news.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1414) 10 years ago
This is precisely the reason why I didn't become a child star. Too many self-destruct.

....yeah, that's the reason.

FH
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 10 years ago
Great point, Bart. I agree.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3716) 10 years ago
I also did not doom myself by becoming a child star. In my case however, it was more providence than foresight.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1884) 10 years ago
Wow. Same for me, Frank. Talent had nothing to do with it.

"The Onion" has chimed in its own tasteful, sensitive style. Big time MJ fans beware........

http://www.theonion.com/c...dead_at_12

also...this one almost makes more sense than reality.
http://www.theonion.com/c...estigators
supporter
Michael Jackson died and went to heaven. St. Peter says, "you know, Michael, we really can't let you in here, you did a lot of bad things down on earth. Michael pleads with St. Peter to let him in and states that he'll do anything to get in, not wanting to go to hell and all. St. Peter agrees to ask God if there is anything they can do, God tells St. Peter he'll let Michael into heaven on one condition, he'll have to fight someone and if he wins they'll admit him. Michael agrees, seeing its his only option. The pearly gates open and and Elvis walks out shouting, "where is that weird son of a bitch that married my daughter???"
Posted by Septimius (+69) 10 years ago
There is a lot of talk concerning the doctor who tried to save MJ.. his methods and whatnot and what really happened when the doc got there... I think that there is something they are not not stating.. I think the cover up they are implying is when during CPR on MJ... during the chest compressions.. they pressed too hard and his nose POPPED off...

just my humble opinion...

I could be wrong...
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+379) 10 years ago
The 'ol blame game has just started.Last night Geraldo laid it all on MJ's business managers/advisors,etc.He claimed that with MJ's grueling concert scheduling,they had to be shoving all kinds of stuff in Mikey.On second thought,there may be some truth to that.....anyone with balls would have told their advisors to back off and shut up.......
Hey Matt I agree.There's a lot of good country music out there.Blues,rock and country can and do cross over a lot.Now hip hop and rap,I wish they would cross over into obscurity....