World Vision 30 Hour Famine in Miles City
Posted by Beth R. Riggs (+310) 14 years ago
Miles City youth will fast for 30 hours on March 18th and 19th. Why? To find out what it is like to be hungry and raise money for international and local food programs. This event is organized by several church youth groups. The kids will start fasting Friday after breakfast, then gather at 6 p.m. for games, movies, bible study, a prayer path, community service and Christian fellowship through the night. They will finish with a break the fast feast at 2 on Saturday, generously donated by Seabecks Pizza.

If you would like more information, call Beth Riggs at 234-4729 or 874-3502.
Posted by Jeremy Orthman (+436) 14 years ago
I don't know what the big deal is, every year the state wrestling population does it for the season...
Posted by J. Dyba (+1340) 14 years ago
Oh the dumb things we would do to make weight the night before/morning of weigh ins. I think all my mental baggage from high school revolves around making weight
Josh,

Would you believe I spent all high school, cutting weight and now that Im in the Army I still have the watch my weight? Every time I think I'm out they keep pulling me back in...
Posted by J. Dyba (+1340) 14 years ago
We had a ton of fat-asses in the Navy. Despite having "supposed" physical fitness standards there were lots of people who were way overweight. Finding a way to scam out of the bi-annual fitness test was like a hobby for some. I was playing on one of the Navy's rugby teams so I never had to worry about it.
Posted by cheryred1973 (+195) 14 years ago
How is the money being raised?? Do people donate for every hour that the kids fast?? What churches are participating? Local hunger is a problem in Miles City and I admire the kids that are doing this to raise money, thanks for any info you can give..
Josh,

Well, I wouldn't call myself a "fat ass," but none the less I am over what the Army says I should be and have to get taped.
Posted by cheryred1973 (+195) 14 years ago
It's too bad the two of you have nothing better to do..Perhaps you should start a different post concerning your "weight" issues and let Ms. Riggs have the forum for what it was intended for.
Posted by Tom Rhoades (+41) 14 years ago
When Elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers!
Posted by Beth R. Riggs (+310) 14 years ago
Hi. Unfortunately the Miles City famine is canceled because we didn't have enough youth sign up. They were wiped out by the Missoula children's theatre, hobo stew and a ski trip.
We will try next year. The kids look for sponsors before the event and then the money goes to World Vision which is a non-profit oragnization. We were going to do a service project for the St. Vincent DePaul store too. World Vision got started by a U.S. chaplain who was involved in the Korean War and was concerned by the number of orphans left by the war. He started the "adopt a child" programs and then they started the 30hour famines.
The Miles City World Vision Famine is organized by the First United Methodist Church, Presbyterian Church and the United Christian Church. For more information about World Vision Famine, go to 30hourfamine.org or call 1-800-7FAMINE.

[This message has been edited by Beth R. Riggs (edited 3/15/2005).]