supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9778) 12 years ago
Thus is the first time I've heard Johnston characterized as an "adventurist."

"Motorcycle Search For Liver-Eating Johnston"
By Dr. Gregory Frazier
MOTORCYCLE USA
June 9, 2009

Adventurist "Liver-Eating Johnston" roamed the Indian country of Montana and Wyoming long before Indians were two-wheel motorcycles. I spent nearly 30 years hunting the truth behind this bigger-than-life, notorious adventurer. His trail through life led me from Colorado to Wyoming, and then Montana to California and back, often well away from paved roads and friendly people.

The full truth is still out there somewhere in the Big Horn Mountains of Montana, or on the prairies of Wyoming, blowing in the wind. If he were alive today, I suspect he would be roaming the world on a motorcycle, adventuring through unsafe countries, living off his wits and experiences, likely using a fake name and being a motorcycle agnostic when it came to which mount he chose to ride. . . .

Continued at:
http://www.motorcycle-usa...nston.aspx
supporter
Posted by Jim Brady (+432) 12 years ago
I was there the day they put old "Liver-eatin'" down at Old Trail Town. There were hundreds of 6'4" "mountain men" celebrating a PETA nightmare in an ocean of fir.

The best part of the show was finding out that Robert Redford is about 5'6" and had to stand on a box everywhere he went.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1591) 12 years ago
Hal, does this guy have the slightest idea as to what he is talking about?
founder
supporter
sponsor
I don't know if Fraizer has a clue.

But his article is one of the reasons I love history. There is something there for everyone who wants to find it. And you don't have to be an expert with a degree to enjoy history and feel connected to it.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1591) 12 years ago
Hal, I guess I should have read the article first. That was a pretty good story.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Yeah - I don't know if that guy really knows what he's talking about, but obviously Johnston has captured his imagination and he is enjoying himself. I suppose there are people who do the same with subatomic particle theory . . . me, I'll stick with history ; -)
Posted by dorman nelson (+8) 12 years ago
Howdy,
Someone sent me the article and I found it on the motorcycle site and commented.
Yes, I think he was having fun with the thought of being able to motor to most of the arenas that
Johnston was a part of. And Montana is a great place for that!!! The good Doc mostly repeated what is generally thought of and written of Johnston. Most of the information is on the Net, and or in Crow Killer and some magazine articles.

My research has found Johnston's roots, his life, his times and his burial at the National Cemetery in Lost Angeles. Then, in 1974 he was transported to Trail Town where he lies now. After Johnston died in 1900, there were flurries of News articles about him over the years. Many old timers connected themselves with him up until about 1940.
Crow Killer was written in 1956-7, then published. This is a conglomerate of tales from others as well.
Mountain Man by Vardis was written as fiction, but keeps the Liver Eating saga going.

I am trying to finish my book by 2010. Then my suggested trails of his life can be followed further.
I will have laid down the paths....

Dorman Nelson www.johnlivereatingjohnston.com