Custer County Cemetery
Posted by Dennis Hubbard (+18) 10 years ago
Is there a listing on line of the graves in the Custer County Cemetery?
Posted by RA (+652) 10 years ago
Not that I have found - and I've checked out Google.com, Ancestry.com, Rootsweb.com, Find A Grave at http://www.findagrave.com/index.html, and certainly not at the dedicated Custer County website at http://custer.mtgenweb.org/
Posted by Bradley (+18) 10 years ago
There is nothing on line, but there are hard copies of the directories at the main cemetery and at the county extension office at the courthouse. Extension hours are M-F 8-12 and 1-5. There are usually people working at the cemetery M-F 7-3.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9846) 10 years ago
The Miles City Public Library should have a copy of the directory the Genealogical Society put out a few years back.
Posted by RA (+652) 10 years ago
Mr. Hubbard's question related to any online listing.
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+521) 10 years ago
Since it was already established there is no online source why couldn't Amorette suggest another option?
Posted by TDF (+158) 10 years ago
I have a Custer County Cemetery book here at home that includes interments up to and including 2008. Cemeteries included in the book are Cottonwood, Fort Keogh, Ismay, Knowlton, Pine Hills School, Veterans and Private Cemeteries. Of note, interments previously at Sunset Memorial Gardens (or Pine Crest) are now interred at Custer County Cemetery.

I would be happy to look for a deceased person for you.
Posted by Gail Finch Shipek (+98) 10 years ago
TDF,

Not all from Sunset Memorial are at Custer County Cemetary. When I was a teen, my family got together and moved my great-relatives from Sunset out to the Knowlton Cemetary.

A little history of the Knowlton Cemetary. My great grandfather, Will George, and my grandmother, Helen Beryl George, homesteaded in Knowlton. He donated the land for the cemetary and for George Park nearby. The cemetary is filled with our family's ancestors.
Posted by Jay Johnson (+45) 10 years ago
My grandmother, Mary Abigail Johnson was buried in a double plot at the Custer County Cemetery in 1921. While visiting Miles City back in the 80's I visited the Cemetery expecting to find my grandfather, Rolland Johnson buried beside her. I located the custodian and he could find no record of his having been buried in the Cemetery. I checked at the Court House and they had no record. On checking at the Library I got a copy of his Obituary which stated that Funeral Arrangements were made at Graves Funeral Home and interment would be at the Custer County Cemetery. I contacted Kenneth Rudolph who had been managing the funeral home at that time and he confirmed that the body had been buried at the cemetery, but there was no record of the Lot number. I'm hoping that you can come up with a location for me as I would like to have a Gravestone erected for him. Thank you for any information you might be able to give me.
My e-mail is [email protected]
Posted by TDF (+158) 10 years ago
I note that your grandmother, Mary Abigail Johnson, born in 1857 and died in 1921 is buried in section A, Lot 40, Location N 1/2. But, this you probably already know. I do not find Rolland A. Johnson buried in Custer County Cemetery, although I find in other sources that he died October 23, 1937 at age 79 in Miles City, Index #2349.

Of interest, I do see that another Mary Johnson, died May 21, 1924 and is buried in Section B, lot 65, location W 1/2, Alley LT. Under the comments section is noted "Remains Mr. Johnson". I'm not saying that is your Grandfather Mr. Johnson, but it would bear some research to see if they are indeed related. If that Mary Johnson did not have a husband, then perhaps it is your grandfather?????? I'm just speculating here and "leaving no leaf unturned" so to speak.
Posted by Patti Mikkelsen (+11) 10 years ago
I am researching the family of Albert "Montana Bill" Roberts and his wife, Anna Vaule Roberts. I wonder if they are buried at the Custer County Cemetery.

I have an unconfirmed date of death (but not a location) for Albert of 13 Jun 1956.

Anna died in Miles City on 26 Dec 1981.

They had ten children.

Two died in Washington state:
Rolla G Roberts died Jun 1970 Bremerton WA
James A Roberts died 19 Nov 2002 Olympia WA

I know of three who died in Custer County:
Daisy Mae Roberts Bickle died in Miles City 29 Dec 1985
Lilly N Roberts died 20 April 1926 in Custer County
Ray/Roy I Roberts died 17 Jun 1969 Miles City.

I don't know anything about the others beyond approximate birth years:
Ralph L Roberts born abt 1908
Violet R Roberts born abt 1917
Rose A Roberts born abt 1918
Mary J Roberts born abt 1920
June Roberts born ca 1929

I would appreciate any information on these people...

Regards
Patti Mikkelsen
supporter
sponsor
Posted by souix (+305) 10 years ago
Since it was already established there is no online source why couldn't Amorette suggest another option?

Uhm...she did, the public library, and they have a telephone, and they are very helpful.

[This message has been edited by souix (12/8/2009)]
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+590) 10 years ago
Patti,
At the digitized index for Calvary cemetery there is a listing for Anna Roberts born 1890 died 19??. She shares a stone with Katherine Miller 1888-1979.
I do not know if the actual record &/or stone shows a death year that is hard to read or if it is not listed. If it is not listed that could mean she was not buried there but only had the headstone carved when Katherine died. That sometimes happened at cemeteries.
Posted by Patti Mikkelsen (+11) 10 years ago
Thanks Cindy

Anna was born 1888 and died 1981. I don't know of a Katherine Miller. So, I wonder if this is another Anna Roberts. I expected her to be buried with her husband, who died first. Then again, they were listed separately in the 1930 census. Anna and infant daughter June (b 1929) were living with the family of Anna's oldest daughter, Daisy, in Michigan. Albert was living in Custer County with Lilly, Ray, Violet, Mary, and James.

Anyway, thanks for looking.
Posted by Dennis Delmott (+10) 7 years ago
Find A Grave at below link should help in locating a grave in the Custer County Cemetery

http://www.findagrave.com...38&df=all&

There has been some updated information posted as I located a relative and teh posting date was MAy 27, 2012.

[This message has been edited by Dennis Delmott (6/3/2012)]
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+590) 7 years ago
http://www.montanacowboyf...33044.html
In case Patti checks back.
This nicely detailed article is from Montana Bill's Cowboy Hall of Fame dedication.
Posted by craig robot (+9) 7 years ago
Hi TDF, I'm trying to locate my grandparents graves in miles city. All I know is that they are buried in the cemetery next to the Catholic and veterans cemetery. Can you please help me. Their names are Joseph and Effie Robot. I know my Grandmother died in 1982 but I was young and don't remember where we drove to in the cemetery. I haven't lived in Miles City since I was one. If you could look them up and let me know that would be great. You can post answers here or email to [email protected]

Thanks.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9846) 7 years ago
That would be the Custer County Cemetery a.k.a. Maple Tree Cemetery. Library has an index, although it isn't current beyond about 1990. Sexton in the court house has the definitive list.
Posted by Kacey (+3151) 7 years ago
I tried the find a grave site. It has 2 of 4 of my relatives with the wrong names on them. So it could be a person you're looking for if the name is close.
Posted by JH Ranch (+5) 7 years ago
Researching an early day pioneer family from Crook County, Wyoming. I have it in a family story that Frank Thorn passed away in Miles City, MT several years ago. The story was published in the "Pioneers of Crook County" in 1981. Most of his siblings passed away from 1905 to 1960. His name in the story is Frank Thorn. It is possible that he is Edwin Frank Thorn. I would appreciate any help you can provide. It is possible that he was returned to Sundance, Crook Co., WY for burial. Thanks
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+590) 7 years ago
http://www.findagrave.com...d=25571426

His grave marker Edwin "Pidge" Thorn & parents' info from Mount Moriah Cemetery in Sundance, Crook Co., Wyoming.
His death year was 1961.
Posted by JH Ranch (+5) 6 years ago
Howdy,

Looking for the cemetery that Guy Whitcher is buried. He died in Broadus in 1956.

Thanks

Carl Steiger
Posted by Kacey (+3151) 6 years ago
http://www.findagrave.com...21&df=all&

Don't know if this is the one you are looking for....but hopefully it is.
Posted by TDF (+158) 6 years ago
The following site on Ancestry.com states that Guy A. Whitcher died in Miles City, but is buried in Broadus, Montana with his wife, Lilly.

http://boards.ancestry.ca...31/mb.ashx
Posted by Kacey (+3151) 6 years ago
Perhaps father and son? The one I posted was Guy A Whitcher who was married to Tillie.
Posted by Carol Mackenzie (+20) 5 years ago
How far back does you book go? My great great grandfather, John McPhie, died and was buried in Miles City in Nov 1880. I was told he was in the Custer County Cemetery but have never been able to find him. I have found other members of the family in a section but, of course, they had died later than he did. Not sure where the cemetery was in 1880. The rest of the family is under the surname Mackenzie, he was the father of my great grandmother Margaret Mackenzie wife of John G Mackenzie. Appreciate it if you would be able to see if you have anything on him. Thanks, Carol Mackenzie (Billings, MT)
Posted by patt masters johnson (+13) 5 years ago
I happened to find an old book on a site called "INTERNET ARCHIVE." The site seems to have tons of info from music to books. The book I found was published in about 1920, and it was a detailed history of decendents of a Connecticut governor. I got really really lucky, just by googling names. Seems these genealogy books have been preserved. Otherwise I would have never ever known this existed. Maybe they might have cemetary records? Seems they would be equally as valuable to save.
+1
Posted by dfroistad (+8) 3 years ago
I recently dropped by the Custer County Cemetery while on a road trip from Southern California to visit the grave of Ivar Froistad. A find-a-grave entry showed a photo of the headstone and listed a location, but it said section F, which we were unable to find. Can anyone confirm if Ivar and Anna Froistad are buried there, and if so, the location? Thanks!
Posted by Kacey (+3151) 3 years ago
You might check with Stevensons funeral home. I believe they can help you locate the graves.