Carradine Hit The End of His Rope
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2586) 10 years ago
We have another apparent suicide. David Carradine of Kung Fu fame was found hanged in a Bangkok hotel room.

http://www.huffingtonpost...11292.html
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6018) 10 years ago
Evidentially my reputation, such as it is, preceeds me.

It's a general green funk, yes.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9348) 10 years ago
>>Actually Hal, I liked the Hung Fu! line.

As did I of course, but it also seem like a good time to prod Gunnar a little ; -)

And I suppose Folks are really going to be upset when Cluck Norris kicks the bucket.

[This message has been edited by Hal Neumann (6/4/2009)]
Posted by ABE (+413) 10 years ago
Chuck may die but his beard is immortal.
supporter
"Kelly, couldn't you have come up with a less offensive title for this thread?"

Probably, but then I wouldn't have been able to use a perfectly good euphemism.

Please explain why you find the title "Carradine Hit The End of His Rope" offensive. After all, you clicked on it so it couldn't have been THAT offensive. Its kinda like surfing the net and clicking on a link for Big T*tted *hores do the nasty with bowling pins, then being suprised at what you find. Or did you just take offense when you read what it was about? If that is the case, then it wasn't the title that was offensive.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1885) 10 years ago
Now the word is Carradine's suicide was probably accidental - a result of erotic asphyxiation gone a little(or way) too far.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13770) 10 years ago
I would have gone with "Bill Killed...Again"
founder
supporter
sponsor
See . . . I knew Gunnar would come through.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14469) 10 years ago
Sounds like in this case "Thrill Bill" might be more appropriate.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Again, I apologize for the gallows' humor, but sometimes it's just hard to resist.

founder
supporter
sponsor
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14186) 10 years ago
Somehow "lethal-injection man" doesn't have the same ring to it.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 10 years ago
Brian said:

More often than not, suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness and cowardice. If people who kill themselves think so little of themselves (and others), I see no problem whatsoever with a little mockery. Mr. Carradine doesn't care, so why should we?

Your first statement is absolutely false. Depression is a mind and soul numbing illness. Suicide is that last resort of someone in extreme pain. It may seem selfish and cowardly to us but it has nothing to do with character flaws. I usually agree with you, Brian, but you are way off on this one. I think you should stick with what you know: Haiku.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3112) 10 years ago
stranglebation, in Bangkok at 73??? Are you kidding me?
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3749) 10 years ago
More often than not, suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness and cowardice. If people who kill themselves think so little of themselves (and others), I see no problem whatsoever with a little mockery. Mr. Carradine doesn't care, so why should we

Is it selfish in some respects? I guess I can see where one might make that argument. Your pain is over but there's a lifetime of pain for those left behind.

However Brian I disagree with you quite strongly on the cowardice part. I have suffered from depression for most of my life and while I haven't gotten to the point of wanting to actually to take my own life I can tell you that it is something that is contemplated by those who have it. The darkness that descends on somebody can be extremely overwhelming and without the right kind of support, sadly, suicide is often the result.

A great movie to watch on this subject is called The Bridge. It'll make you cry and give a broader understanding of why people choose to end their life.

The Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...2006_film)

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (6/5/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 10 years ago
New term I learned today on wikipedia: "Gasper" - someone who has a fetish for asphyxiation.

A word of advice - if you're the the only person in the room who is capable of remembering the safeword, you're playing with fire.

Also, what Wendy said.
supporter
Kyle:

Now you get my apology. I didn't realize you were a sufferer (and I use that word intentionally) of depression.

For the record, I too have mental illness (bipolar) that wasn't properly diagnosed until about 4 years ago (I'm 43.) I have tried to commit suicide 3x in my life. The last time was just before moving back to Miles City. Since graduating high school in 1984 I've known, pretty well I might add, 28 people who have committed suicide. Maybe it is my experiences, but I'm probably a bit numb to it and laughter is the best medicine, at least for me.
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+402) 10 years ago
Suicide is what people do when they are in so much pain that they cannot think of anyone or anything but ending the pain.
Posted by Derf Bergman (+588) 10 years ago
Also, what Wendy said.

Double ditto.
To anyone I might have offended with my statement (Wendy, I'm looking at you). I have also suffered from Depression my whole life, as have close members of my family. Suicide is something that I have contemplated more than I care to admit.

I know what Depression is. I know what it looks like. I know what it feels like. I also know that the times I have been at my very lowest, the hatred I held for myself compelled me to suffer rather than to cop out and end up hurting others far more than myself.

My thought has always been that if you loathe yourself enough to take your own life, you loathe yourself enough to continue suffering. Ending it is easy. Persevering is not. Because ending it is the easy path, I have referred to those who take the path of least resistance as selfish cowards.

I stand by my earlier statement. I hope that now you realize where I am coming from.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2736) 10 years ago
Wendy definitely said it best - good job, Gal!

But Kyle and Kelly said it most honestly - that took real guts. I'm glad you are both still with us. Let's keep it that way, OK?
supporter
Kyle posted a link to "The Bridge" and that led me to this New Yorker article (link below) which provides some amazing insights into the suicidal mind as well as our societal response (or failure to respond, actually). It tells a couple of stories that illustrate how amazingly easy MIGHT be to prevent SOME suicides, and then it describes even a "liberal" place like San Francisco is reluctant to do anything about it.

I'm going to post this link in the Suicide in Miles City thread as well.

http://www.newyorker.com/...013fa_fact
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4455) 10 years ago
My apologies if the Hung Fu remark offended anyone. From now on if I'm uncertain as to the suitability of a comment, I'll seek out Gunnar's advice prior to posting. That should prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

Request for milescity.com 3.0. A Gunnar proxy puppet that we can use when our worst ideas are just too good to keep to ourselves.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13770) 10 years ago
Excellent article, Steve. My favorite part:

But the impact is not clean: the coroner's usual verdict, suicide caused by "multiple blunt-force injuries," euphemizes the devastation. Many people don't look down first, and so those who jump from the north end of the bridge hit the land instead of the water they saw farther out. Jumpers who hit the water do so at about seventy-five miles an hour and with a force of fifteen thousand pounds per square inch. Eighty-five per cent of them suffer broken ribs, which rip inward and tear through the spleen, the lungs, and the heart. Vertebrae snap, and the liver often ruptures. "It's as if someone took an eggbeater to the organs of the body and ground everything up," Ron Wilton, a Coast Guard officer, once observed.

Those who survive the impact usually die soon afterward. If they go straight in, they plunge so deeply into the water-which reaches a depth of three hundred and fifty feet-that they drown. (The rare survivors always hit feet first, and at a slight angle.) A number of bodies become trapped in the eddies stirred by the bridge's massive stone piers, and sometimes wash up as far away as the Farallon Islands, about thirty miles off. These corpses suffer from "severe marine depredation"-shark attacks and, particularly, the attentions of crabs, which feed on the eyeballs first, then the loose flesh of the cheeks. Already this year, two bodies have vanished entirely.

That is some good stuff, there.
A soggy version of high speed dirt, as Dave Mustaine would call it.
Posted by wilmajean (+43) 10 years ago
Ok, so now what do you all have to say about this?

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=412917>1=28103

Police: Carradine death may have been accidental, is the headline.

Suicide or accident, a sad end to anyones life.
Posted by wilmajean (+43) 10 years ago
Sorry didn't copy web page right,

but click on the news tab on that page for the story
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3749) 10 years ago
A couple of [url ] [/ url] tags and presto:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/arti...>1=28103

A hyperlink!

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (6/5/2009)]
I sure wish they would not publish such humiliating details. Poor man---if the media would only allow him to RIP.
founder
supporter
sponsor
>>Request for milescity.com 3.0. A Gunnar proxy puppet that we can use when our worst ideas are just too good to keep to ourselves.

Now that is one fine idea.

Maybe while we are waiting for 3.0 to come out we could just have a Gunnar emoticon. Tag that on the end of the worst we have to offer and it wouldn't really count against us.
I sure wish they would not publish such humiliating details. Poor man---if the media would only allow him to RIP.

He IS resting in peace, Donna. He could care less right now. He's gone.
And Brian, what do you think this does to his grieving family?
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3716) 10 years ago
I know a girl that is in the coast guard in San Francisco and they have the duty of fishing all those jumpers out of the bay. Talk about a grim job.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1661) 10 years ago
ISH...Levi, that would be a depressing job to have...almost as depressing as having to live in Glendive, which sucks.
And Brian, what do you think this does to his grieving family?

Again, if jokes are the worst thing that have happened to them this week, I daresay the jokes would be deserved.

Somehow I doubt their Googling "David Carradine jokes" right now or trolling our little corner of the web.
founder
supporter
sponsor
>>We have another apparent suicide.

Frayed knot.
Frayed knot.

Oh, snap!
supporter
Hal - That pun is sooooo bad I gagged. We (the Pun Punishers) just may have to come up to Los Anchorage for the pure pleasure of communally groaning in your general direction in person.
supporter
Thanks for giving us more of your perspective, Brian. I can see your point about taking the "easy" path of suicide. I still disagree with its characterization as selfish or cowardly. Let's agree to disagree.

I also think we've established that pretty much everyone here has experienced or been touched by mental illness in someway. It's a clear argument that we need more funding for medical research in that area and that it's an illness that needs more public discussion.
It's a clear argument that we need more funding for medical research in that area and that it's an illness that needs more public discussion.

Wholeheartedly (and enthusiastically) agreed, Wendy. I would add that more funding for education and treatment is also needed. There are far too many people who just dismiss and discard "the crazies" and expect the problem to solve itself or just go away. It's not going to happen.
Thank you, Wendy.
Brian, I wasn't referring to the jokes. I was referring to the news article detailing the sexual components in graphic detail.
founder
supporter
sponsor
>> Hal - That pun is sooooo bad I gagged.

Sorry Steve.

I know some people are really tied up in knots over this - - and I know I shouldn't be making puns like that, at a time like this.

On a more serious note. . .

I agree with those who are critical of the media's handling of Carradine's demise. But even so, I can't help but think if the public wasn't hanging on every detail, there'd be less coverage of the incident. And this certainly seems to be a story for which that old adage applies: "No noose is good news."
supporter
Hal - you really need to drop down to Austin next year for the O'Henry Pun-Off. You'd love it - and if you entered, you might even win - and even if you didn't, Austin is a great place to hang out and it's very friendly. People there never met a strangler.
Carradine was over there making a film when he died. I'll bet it has a huge climax.
founder
supporter
sponsor
: -)

Puns are always a sign that a thread is beginning to unravel, aren't they?
= = = = = = = =

Steve, I spent a couple days in Austin back in the early 70s. As far as cities go, it seemed like a good one. Perhaps someday I'll make it back.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4453) 10 years ago
Good one, Bob
supporter
I'm waiting for the Haiku. Brian?
I'm waiting for the Haiku. Brian?

I'll let you handle this topic, Wendy.
supporter
. . . . running . . . . away . . . as fast . . as possible. . . .