supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3707) 13 years ago
Can anyone tell me what these things are? We have quite a few of them nesting around here and I don't know if I've seen them here before. Sorry for the blurry picture.

Posted by Jeff Newby (+158) 13 years ago
Damn with that long beak I almost thought it was a Kiwi but then I pulled my ead out of my 4th point of contact and realized NOT IN NEVADA

[This message has been edited by Jeff Newby (6/2/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 13 years ago
These look something like curlews.
Posted by CK (+846) 13 years ago
These are Long Billed Curlews. My Husband took at bird ID class in college and knows birds well! He is always asking me what bird is that, what bird is this...I never know.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1808) 13 years ago
Thanks, I was wondering also! Are they water birds? I'd like to get a photo of what ever has recently taken refuge in my small yard. It makes a sound I've never heard in this area, but I haven't actually seen the bird...
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3707) 13 years ago
Thanks CK, that's the one all right . Also, I'm not in NV, that is just one of the quirks of satellite internet, I'm in Eastern Montana. These birds are up on the flats above the Powder River valley.

According to Wikipedia, they are water birds or more specifically shore birds but they fly to the grasslands to nest. I don't know if I've ever seen them before but there is kind of a little flock of them here this summer. I came across a nest as well and their eggs are as large or larger than chicken eggs.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+592) 13 years ago
Levi,
The arrival of the curlews is considered the "for sure" sign of Spring in Western Montana. When they fly you can see the dark salmon color of the underside of their wings. They are a cool bird & they eat grasshoppers.
Posted by Samantha (+109) 13 years ago

What kind of a bird is this?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 13 years ago
"What kind of a bird is this?"

Probably a species of "gagous nopostii"
Posted by Samantha (+109) 13 years ago
sorry for any offense if any was taken.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1887) 13 years ago
Samantha - Its the Trampstampeos onyurasseous.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 13 years ago
You're lack of judgment is showing, Samantha.

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (6/4/2009)]