Does anyone know the Bair family?
Posted by oliversmokie (+5) 13 years ago
I am told I am related to the Bair family from Miles City, MT. I was born there about 30 years ago.
I am trying find out more information about Lola, Hattie Ann, Debra, Donald, and Ralph.

This seems like a good place to discuss this stuff.
Thank you!

From Colorado
supporter
Posted by Colette Butcher (+402) 13 years ago
I just emailed you with info.
Posted by Bill Bloom (-319) 13 years ago
I can`t tell you much, although if the mother`s name was Lola, I think she passed away within the last several years, not positive on that, the father Ralph many, many, years ago, also Hattie Ann died in a car wreck south of Miles City, maybe towards Gillette, alot of years ago, one son Don is around Miles, I think, another son Ralph I saw during the bucking horse sale two years ago, he used to live in Gillette and has at least one daughter, I think I knew Debra and last I heard she may have lived in Washington State, another daughter, I have seen in the last couple years around Miles , although she may live in Alaska or somewhere else. I beleive it was a large family so there may be more of them around.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1282) 13 years ago
Bill is right, Hatie died in a car wreck in or around the early 80's. There was a younger brother as well I think his name was Tommy and for some reason I think he may have died in some sort of mishap as well. Ralph Sr. was a hard working, hard drinking, hard fighting man and raised all the kids the same way. They did contract fencing all around Eastern Montana and when I knew them in the 80's they where doing a lot of work between Miles City and Jordan. I saw another daughter Becky in Lewistown several years back and she had been living there for sometime.

Lola was a saint of a woman constantly bailing one or more of the family out of jail for some kind of disruptive behavior, but she managed to keep the family together. They where a very close family and I liked them all, but if you had a problem with one of the Bairs you had a problem with all of the Bairs.

Hope they are doing well.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1792) 13 years ago
I don't know if he's of the same main-stem family (I'd guess he probably is), but there was a Frank Bair in my class one year. I know that he died in the last couple years...don't remember the cause, but I know he left-behind a large number of children.
Posted by Bill Bloom (-319) 13 years ago
Ok, Chuck, rung a bell, it was Becky I knew, not Debra? and I remember Tommy, he was around Miles several years ago, but I don`t know what happened to him, and I also a younger one, they called Franky.
I remember once, the father Ralph was crossing the street and went around a truck, there was a big white german shepard, in the back, he said, dogs that bark don`t bite, and stuck his arm over the box, the dog grabbed him, off the ground I think, he slightly whenced , and headed on into the bar, I think probly more disappointed he was wrong, than he had just been ..... , as rough and tough, as any old boy you`d ever see.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5104) 13 years ago
They where a very close family and I liked them all, but if you had a problem with one of the Bairs you had a problem with all of the Bairs.

-----

That's a true statement!

I don't have much info - I saw Tommy a few years ago and heard he'd been 86'd out of all of the MC bars. I saw Donnie last year. Frank passed away.

Here's the obit for Lola:

http://www.stevensonandso...20Lola.htm
Posted by Kacey (+3157) 13 years ago
If you go to stevensonandsons.com and type in Bair under obituary search you will unfortunately find several. You will also see Connor Crouch's name and he was Hattie's son who died in a fire. Tiffany Spracklen was Hattie's daughter who died from the fire also.
OK, Probably was Frankie I heard about and Tommy is probably still alive and looking to kick my ass for putting him in the ground before his time.

Truth be known how any of them survived the lives they've led is only a tribute to Sr. who if nothing else taught them to be tough .....Damned tough.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1270) 13 years ago
I lived down the street from Frankie when I was in about 2nd grade. One day Frankie had, pleasantly enough, suggested that we play. The next thing I know, I'm tied to the clothes line at the neighbor's house. To really add insult, my parents drove by, I was yelling, they were waiving, thinking that I was playing nice with the neighbor kid. Man I was pissed! My mom thought that was pretty funny when I told her later that she left me there tied to a pole!

Shouldn't there be a mention in the "MC Characters" posting for them?

[This message has been edited by Cory Cutting (6/2/2009)]
Posted by Samantha (+112) 13 years ago
Hattie is sstillalive. I work with her signifigant other & showed him the first post to give him the info.
supporter
Posted by Colette Butcher (+402) 13 years ago
Thank you for all your interesting ideas about the Bair's, where they are, who has died, what they were like and so forth. I have personally emailed the person that started this thread with the "correct" information about the family. Since my family is related to the Bair's I thought I'd help her out with accurate information. Thank you for your input, but, you can stop now. I got it covered.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17896) 13 years ago
Samantha said: Hattie is sstillalive.

Samantha you must work with the s.o. of Hattie 2.0. Either that or "sstillalive" doesn't mean "still alive". Come to think of it, the way you stuttered on "sstill" it's like you just saw a ghost.

From the Stevenson and Sons website the obituary for Lola says:

Lola was preceded in death by her parents, all 12 of her brothers and sisters, her husband Ralph Bair; a son, Frank Bair; two daughters: Hattie A. Bair and Debbie J. Wagner; a granddaughter, Amanda Bair; and four great grandchildren: Connor Crouch, Tiffany Spracklin, Spencer Wlodkowski and Lacey Wlodkowski.
Posted by hattie ann bair (+5) 13 years ago
my name is Hattie Ann Bair my grandparents are Ralph and Lola Bair i am named after my aunt Hattie Ann Bair she died in the early 80 tommy is alive and well debbie is my mom JUST LIKE YOU I AM 30 YEARS OLD AND BORN IN MILES CITY if you have any questions please call me collect at home 406-234-9210 or cell 406-853-6526
Posted by hattie ann bair (+5) 13 years ago
Sam did not see a gost there is two of us my aunt and my self she works with my husband at the hospital . i do understand how everyone is confused
Posted by Tom Bair (+116) 13 years ago
I love this web page. This is more interesting than any soap opera.I am one of the Bair family. I am Tom Bair and I do not know what old Chuck Chuck was talking about my little brother Frank and how he put him into the ground .Frank died of a heart atact in 2003 I have not been 86 out of every bar in town. I just quit drinking and Bill Bloom I still live in town. So if you want to know about the Bair family look in the Yellow Pages and talk to one.The rest is half truths and bull poop.Tom Bair
Posted by oliversmokie (+5) 13 years ago
Thank you everyone especially the family and relatives, I will be reaching out via email and phone to the family to see if I can gather more information. Again I really appreciate everything.

From Colorado
Posted by Samantha (+112) 13 years ago
sorry. i get confused sometimes.
Well there you have it.
supporter
Posted by Nancy Drew (+286) 13 years ago
Did the Bair family live across from the VA Hospital in the 1960's? I have a memory of playing as children and no there was no tying to the pole!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17935) 13 years ago
What year did Alberta Bair cut this branch of the family out of the substantial inheritance that the grand patriarch of the Bair family, Charles Bair, gathered in the early 20th century? Is there still some animosity between the Miles City Bairs and those Martinsdale Bairs?
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+583) 13 years ago
If I remember correctly- Charlie Bair was a self-made man.
He came West as a railroad employee, then bought & ran a sheep ranch, sold out completely & invested the money in some kind of mining equipment for Klondike gold rush, then took the large proceeds from that venture & went back into the sheep business in a big way. He had 2 unmarried daughters.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+583) 13 years ago
I was wrong. Marguerite was married to Dave Lamb.
www.bairfamilymuseum.org
Posted by Sheral (+5) 13 years ago
Yes I know the bair family. My Grandmother was Lola Bair, I just found out that she based away last November. And I regret that I never got to meet her. My Father was her youngest son, Frank Elmer Bair.

I remember only meeting one of my aunts and her children, I don't know much about my father's side of the family, except that I'm related to them.

I wish I had met my grandmother, from what I have heared of her she was a kind and caring woman.

Please let me know if you know more about my family.
Posted by Sheral (+5) 13 years ago
Hi I'm Sheral Bair, my father was Frank Bair, and I'm his oldest child. I would like to know more about my father and the bair side of my family, because I never got the chance to met him. I rembember only meeting Aunt Tami and her children once. I would like to know more about him and everyone.

[This message has been edited by Sheral (7/9/2009)]

[This message has been edited by Sheral (7/9/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1792) 13 years ago
Hi Sheral - I was in your dad's (Frank) class one year in grade school, and also crossed paths with him a time or 2 when we were in high school.

I didn't know him real well, but I'll just tell you a couple things I do remember about him. He was kind-of a tough kid. I wouldn't say he was a bully, necessarily, but sometimes he played rough. I don't think he was trying to be mean, that's just how he played. He didn't go looking to pick fights, but if anyone picked on him, he stood-up to whomever it was. He took no guff.

He did play sports a bit - he was a pretty good wrestler. I don't think he made the varsity in our day, but he won a few JV matches. He did play little guy basketball in grade school at least one year: a close friend of mine still has a picture of him on the "Hawks" team with him.

A friend of mine that I dated back in the high school days says she lived close to him and used to walk his dogs with him now and then, so he loved animals.

Other than that, he was, perhaps, not a very good student but I read in his obituary that he loved working with his hands - building and fixing things appealed to him, and I think he liked to go fishing, too. I wish I could tell you more, but as I didn't hang-out with him much (I was only in his class one year, then we were in separate schools), that's all I can remember.

If I could ask you a question, Sheral, how many little brothers/sisters do you have? I seem to recall from the obituary a few years ago that you dad had "a few" kids besides you?

Anyway, I'm sorry you never got to know him.
Posted by Kacey (+3157) 13 years ago
The Bairs I knew lived on the corner of South Lake and Tompy.
Thank for the story about Frank and for Sheral finding her long and lost family.Her mother could have done that about 20 years ago and like I said we are in the phone book so if any more write on this page just go to Stevenson and Sons Funeral home and find your Grandmother Lola Ann Bair in 2008 and Frank Bair 2003 Hattie and Debbie Rralph Bair 1979 and you can see some picture.Sorry for the ones that are in black and white I wish that you could have seen it in color.As to Frank he had fathered six kids that we know of to this date.He was married three times.We moved from Lake in 79 to Yellowstone street to out in too and all over this wonderful country of our.Again thanks for the help.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1435) 13 years ago
I got my first job - a paper route delivering Miles City Star - from Frank.
Posted by Jim Birkholz (+196) 13 years ago
I'll add this remembrance, not so much of the Bairs themselves, but they were involved a little.

About 1980 or so, some friends of mine needed a camper while we tried to be lumberjacks in the Big Horns. The Bairs had a fencing business and had a bus/camper in their yard on S. Lake that went for a reasonable price. We all went over to take possession, one fine sunny spring day when the snow was melting quickly. Randy Parker was the first one to check out the interior. It wasn't long before he fell back out of the bus, and he was the prettiest shade of green. Turns out the bus had been used as a doghouse all winter, and with the nice weather, all the doggy droppings were at their peak of ripeness. The bus had been fitted with several cots, where the seats used to be. These were just wooden boxes topped with a wire link frame to hold mattresses. The mattresses were gone and those boxes were full of canine poop.

It took us months to rehab the thing. We took it down to bare metal, took the windows apart, etc.
Poor Jim I hope that it did not leave a mark to much on you.But I see that it did.The bus did not run and we had hunting dogs in that bus for the hard winter.We made alot of money with those dogs so we had to take care of them.I think if I remember we cleaned a hell of a lot of it out before we put it up for sale.I think that was the why we did not want to be in it in when the hot summer came.I think that we also had scunks,pigs,owls,halks and rattlesnakes in that old bus at one time or another.It is like they say.You can take the kid out of the country but you can,nt take the country out of the kid or in or case the kids.I think that that poor Randy Parker was told about the bus and how it has worked so well for the dogs that winter and that is why he got it so cheep.It is to bad that you do not have pictures of it so you could post them.That would have been better.It was in or around 1975.It is like I said half truths and horse poop.Now it is dog poop.Have a wonderful day and make shure to be feed my dogs and teach my children to pray.
Posted by shelley (+11) 13 years ago
tom how would i get ahold of tammy! this is shelley johnson i've been trying to get a hold of her for a long time. if you see or hear from her my number is 1-605-352-9608 im in South Dakota now. hope to hear from someone soon.
Posted by clm (+102) 13 years ago
Anyone have any news on Randy? Haven't seen him for years, but was very fond of him and his wife.
Tamera lives in Miles City with Kewe Pete a tree cutter 232-7029 and Randy is living in North Dakoda if you want to call me and I will give you his address.He does not like his phone number or address given to every one Tom Bair 234-0019.Becky and Vickie lives in Oregon and Sylvia lives in Wyoming and Don lives here in Miles City.Anyone else that are friends of my sisters and brothers and would like to get a hold of them or want to know how they are doing fell free to call me.Thanks Tom Bair
Posted by Sheral (+5) 11 years ago
Sorry, it has been so long. But as far as I know, I'm am the oldest child out of 6. I have one full brother and 4 half siblings. There could possibly be more children, you never really know when it comes to my father. Myself, my Mom, and my younger brother live in North West Montana, the rest of the Bair family is of course based out of Miles City and the surrounding area.