Kerchival City / Mosby, Garfield County, MT
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9743) 11 years ago
The Historical Marker Database, "Kerchival City"

Inscription. Competition to supply the mining camps was fierce in Montana in the 1860s. Many opportunists realized that the real money was not in mining for gold, but in "mining the miners" by providing essential goods and services. Fort Benton dominated upper Missouri trade. Steamboat landings and trading posts established downriver of the world's innermost port sought to circumvent Fort Benton's monopoly. The mouth of the Musselshell River, about 35 miles north of here, was ideal for a landing. Above there the river was treacherous and unreliable, but below the Musselshell, rapids were fewer and the water deeper. Consequently, the mouth of the Musselshell was a busy place in the 1860s. . . .

Continued at:
http://www.hmdb.org/marke...arker=9700
= = = = = = = = =

This was all new to me . . . I'd never heard of Kerchival City.
founder
Posted by Kenny Vail (+110) 11 years ago
Thanks Hal -
Recently I had to research this place for a book project. At the Bozeman City Library there is an old book giving the contemporary history; building of the road from Helena, Indians fighting, military protection, etc.
Incidentally "Liver-eating" Johnson was one of several colorful characters going to Mussleshell (Kerchival) City. Others were Neil Howie, Pike Landusky and James C. Earp.

Kenny
founder
supporter
sponsor
Thanks Kenny.

It's when I run across little things like this that I really miss not having my library here with me.

Now that you mentioned Johnson, it seems that I may saw mention of Kerchival in X. Beidler's memoir - and perhaps in Luther Kelley's as well.
founder
Posted by Kenny Vail (+110) 11 years ago
Hal,
When you mention 'Beidler Memoir' I assume it to mean "X. Beidler Vigilante" by Helen Sauners.(?)

In regards reading Luther Kelly's memoirs I haven't had the priveledge. Can you please direct me to it?

kv
founder
supporter
sponsor
Yup . . . the one edited by Saunders and Bertsche.

Beidler, John Xavier, 1831-1890. X. BEIDLER, VIGILANTE, Helen Fitzgerald Sanders and William H. Bertsche, editors (1957, reprint: Norman: University Of Oklahoma Press, 1982).

Here's the citation for Kelly's memoirs, but I'm not 100% positive he mentions Kerchival City. Not having it in front of me, I'm likely as not misremembering things.

Kelly, Luther S, 1849-1928. YELLOWSTONE KELLY: THE MEMOIRS OF LUTHER S KELLY (1926, reprint: Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1973).