Social Insecurity
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3742) 12 years ago
Well this is encouraging. It looks like the Government sponsored Ponzi scheme will now go belly-up four years sooner than expected.

Financial Health of Social Security, Medicare Worsens in Past Year
http://www.foxnews.com/po...ng-faster/

Nice. So I'm forced to continue to pay into this "System" and will now see my money depleted even sooner. This just pisses me off.

Anybody still think this scam is a good idea?

While we're on the subject let me ask this question:

Does anybody seriously believe that the same Government who just flushed my/your money down the crapper will do a trustworthy job when it muscles itself into the Health Care industry?

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (5/12/2009)]
Posted by J. Dyba (+1347) 12 years ago
Does anybody seriously believe that the same Government who just flushed my/your money down the crapper will do a trustworthy job when it muscles itself into the Health Care industry?

Well since it's NOT the same government I don't know what to tell you.
It's not J.Dyba? Explain how you came to that conclusion please because it looks like the same one to me.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1594) 12 years ago
Kyle CA and WA you must travel a lot.

You sound distraught I hope that you are not thinking of blowing up SS headquarters in protest or that you are not thinking of committing suicide.

Could it be that we stole money from it once again to look for WMD's.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4953) 12 years ago
I recommend that you stop watching Fox News and their slanted doom and gloom....
Stone,

No I would blow up anything. I'll just take the road of voicing displeasure at things I don't agree with.

As far as me being in California and Washington I sometimes use my iPhone when I post and have noticed that's where the California posts come up. It is a refurbished one so maybe my previous iPhones owner worked and owned a certain company in Cupertino
I recommend that you stop watching Fox News and their slanted doom and gloom....

Is a non-Fox News site good enough for you Howdy?

Economic woes hurt Medicare, Social Security
http://www.comcast.net/ar...LSECURITY/

If that's not a credible enough source for you here's one you might find to be credible:

Recession hits Social Security hard
http://money.cnn.com/2009.../index.htm

Geithner unveils report on entitlement programs. Social Security trust fund may be exhausted 4 years sooner than earlier forecast. Medicare is much worse off.

The trust fund reflects a $2.4 trillion surplus paid into Social Security over 20 years that Uncle Sam has borrowed, spent and promised to pay back. Trust fund exhaustion represents the point at which only 76% of benefits could be paid out.

Notice the 20+ years J.Dyba? Still want to stick by your claim of it "Not Being The Same Government"?

BTW that post of mine was supposed to read "I would not blow anything up."

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (5/12/2009)]
supporter
you seem to want to argue the same thing over and over when it has been proven over and over that Universal health care is actually cost effective for many industrialized nations...Social Security will always be here because IMO, no politician will let it die on their own watch....It is a no brainer...For alot of seniors, SS is the only thing they have to live on...to take it away would be cruel...So go back to your "bah humbug" world and don't worry about SS....It ain't going anywhere....IMO...
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3709) 12 years ago
Howdy,

Politicians will not let SS die "on their watch", they will blame previous administrations. The fact is, that SS IS dying, and so is Medicare. They have promised to pay out benefits with no funding to back it up. The ONLY way that SS and Medicare can remain viable would be through

1) Drastic reduction in benefits
2) Very very large tax increases
3) Very very large cuts in other programs in order to divert money to SS/Medicare.

All 3 options are going to be highly unpopular so no one wants to do them, so they continue to ignore the problem because it will not come to a head during their current term.

I'm not making this up and I'm not blowing it out of proportion. This will be a crisis in not that many years and every politician in Washington knows it, but none of them has the courage to make the kind of changes that would be needed to avoid it. This is not a partisan issue, both parties have their heads in the sand.

Check out this 60 minutes piece. You can verify it at any number of places online.

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (5/12/2009)]
supporter
Well with my head buried firmly in the sand, I believe that SS and medicare will continue thru some form or other in the future...No matter who they try to blame, every politician knows to kill off SS or medicare would be their death knoll...I realize this is just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid to read this...
Levi is 100% right in that SS and Medicare in their current forms will not survive. They will most certainly have to come up with a different structure to make these viable in the long term once again.

Kyle, kindly explain to the class how the Social Security funds(there's actually 2 of them) really work please.

*this should be good*
Only as soon as you explain your "Not the same Government" line.
If you would finish your assignment you'd answer your own question!
Nice dodge Dyba.

As far as I can tell the Government that gave us this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ed_States)

Is still functioning.

Care to answer mine or are you going to duck it again?
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1282) 12 years ago
The only thing Government intervention in the healthcare business will do is guarantee those of us that have insurance as part of our pay package will receive less reliable care for more personal cost. I have spent twenty years building up a relationship with my Doctor and do not relish the idea of the government taking part in ANY of my health care decisions.

I think the Government would be wise to concentrate on taking care of the failing SS and Medicare programs before they go screwing up something else.
I'll agree with you Kyle if you amend your statement to mean the same general Government structure.

The Government we have right now is drastically different then the one we had 4 years ago, let alone 24 years ago.
On that J. Dyba I will agree with you.