Bucking Horse Sale Parade
Posted by Ryan (+479) 12 years ago
I was wondering were do the people line up for parade and at what time?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11808) 12 years ago
Do you mean as a participant? You need to get an application from the Chamber of Commerce and it will have full instructions. As a viewer, depends on whether you view from the start or the finish but I try to be in place by nine o'clock or so.
Posted by CK (+853) 12 years ago
I am new to town, can anyone tell me what will be in the parade? Animals, floats, bands? Thanks! Also where does the parade start and end? Where is the best place to be? Thanks again!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11808) 12 years ago
Lots of animals. A few floats. A few bands. Lots of assorted vehicles. Kids on unicycles. Kids on horseback. Kids on flatbeds. It is a true small town parade. Anywhere on Main between Riverside Park, where it starts, and the intersection of Main and Montana, where it ends. Come early and bring a chair. I have my office open two doors east of the Montana Theater and have seats set up there.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+897) 12 years ago
...my parade favorites... The Calendonian's bagpipe "band" and dancers... as well as the Calvary Band! They have had the same General Custer and the one Native lady for at least 15 years I think!!! And the loud steam tractors...those are fun...and the funny Sanjel trucks... It's actually a pretty darned good pay-rade!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17485) 12 years ago
The BHS parade the last time I saw it, which was last year, was a huge disappointment. Compared to the Vigilante Day Parade that the high school kids here in Helena just had, the BHS parade definitely ranks as a D minus.

Lots of cars and trucks driving down the street with people waving out the window. Very, very few floats. The marching bands are definitely the highlight....I do like those old steam tractors, too.
Posted by Slosh (+703) 12 years ago
Gunnar-

As a proud four-time Vigilante Day Parade participant (our professional wrestling float our senior year is still one of the great memories of my life), I agree with you on the comparisons.

But it's hard to compare the two. The hole idea of the VDP is a lot different than the BHS parade.

I love the VDP and the BHS Parade.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17485) 12 years ago
You are certainly correct, Slosh....it is indeed hard to compare the two. Still, how hard is it to put together a float? Lord only knows there are enough flatbeds and trailers around MC. And the cost of those VDP float materials is next to nothing.

All it takes is for folks to get off their tushes and make a decent float. We are talking about a TIME commitment, not money. Maybe a judging contest would entice people to do just that? The current system cerainly isn't working to bring innovation, fun, and laughter to the parade.

The old days of the parade, with all the horses, that was the best of all. I realize those days are gone. Still, why not replace it with floats, instead of endless streams of cars advertising some business or politician?

Face it, folks.....in its present incarnation, the BHS parade is crap.
Posted by urcrackinmeup (+136) 12 years ago
I really like the BHS parade and don't really care for crummy floats. I would rank it in the A category. I like the horses, the kids, drum and bugle corp and the scottish dancers and the neat cars. Seems like Gunnar is being a little harsh.
Posted by Samantha (+116) 12 years ago
let's throw the Dr. rauh protestors in the parade too
Posted by Tanna Bloxom Martin (+21) 12 years ago
Back in the day CCHS use to do a Go Western Day parade which was similar to Vigilante Day. Do they still do that? BHS is a whole different thing.
Posted by Jim B (+234) 12 years ago
Have friends from New Jersey coming. 2nd visit to BHS.
They are excited and hope some of the same things are in the parade.
Calvary band, Oil pulls, 4 bags in a Cadillac,are just a few they mentioned.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+897) 12 years ago
There are always a few floats in the parade... 4-H kids sometimes do floats... I know that the Eagles Manor has a float this year... I hate it when it's a political year though, and every politician thinks slapping a sign in the back of his/her car and driving down the street is helping their cause...it's quite annoying! I always enjoy seeing what 1st interstate bank does...they were all "riding" horses last year... The Bison Bar had a horse drawn float last year... And there is a contest, with cash prizes involved for the best floats, walking/marching entries, as well as car etc...
I am very proud of the hard work people put into the BHS parade...and will enjoy it thouroughly again this year! For those of you that don't agree...stay home, and don't rain on our parade.