UPS--what are they smoking?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11808) 12 years ago
I gotta love their system. A book I want is in Sparks, Nev. First, they ship it to their central processing facility in Louisville, Kentucky. A very long trip. Then they ship it back to Billings. From whence it goes to Glendive !?!? and it is currently located in Wolf Point. Apparently, the concept of efficiency and saving fuel has not yet worked its way into the UPS culture.

My other books were shipped by the Post office. They arrived last week.

Mind you, some days the PO screws up royally but at least they don't send books on extended tours of the U.S.

Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 12 years ago
While waiting for my iPhone from AT&T I amused myself by tracking it on FedEx. Originating in Dallas it went to Memphis, St. Louis then to Issaquah and finally here to Bellevue.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1339) 12 years ago
Your package is 1 piece of a 100,000 million piece puzzle. They can send your piece directly to you for a small profit, or perhaps a loss considering fuel costs, or they can allow their distribution model to process your package in a way that allows it to piggyback on a couple thousand other packages which nets the largest margin in their favor.

You can wait a few extra days to make it more efficient for them to ship packages in general, which in the overall picture, helps considerably in keeping the cost point on your service as low as possible.
Posted by tequilla (+29) 12 years ago
the same thing happened to me with a package allso werid long way it must have come thro Miles City and then back I really don't understand it either it says it will be here today so I will see
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 12 years ago
FYI...QVC claims on their website if you order and pay for priority mail shipping that you will receive your package four days after ordering. I finally got the email receipt with the tracking number and EDD...yes, the dreaded EDD. My estimated date of delivery was...drum roll..eleven days after I ordered it.

Needless to say I called QVC yesterday. The woman informed me in her supposedly soothing voice that I should have known better! She said if I really wanted it in four days I should have paid the UPS fee of $16.95!

She then went on to say that she knows what the website says and it's wrong. But there is nothing she can do about it other than credit me back the difference in shipping.

I told her that won't help me as I needed what I ordered before next week.

She again said...very calmly...that she understood but I should have sent it UPS if I wanted it quickly.

Ever have one of those conversations where you are SURE the other person doesn't understand English at all?

So she finally said that she will give me a ten dollar shipping credit towards my next order.

And now I wait to see when my package shows up.

BTW, I told her she needs to change the website. Like that will happen!
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+897) 12 years ago
...I live in the boonies! And love it when the UPS man decides it's too far to drive to my house to deliver my packages and thus...leaves them at my mom's house. We live in different houses approximately 10 miles away, with completely different addresses. I send my packages to my address, my mom sends her packages to her address... She gets more packages than I do, and I guess they just figure since they're stopping at her house, they'll leave mine as well, never mind the extra 10 miles they would have to drive to actually deliver them to my house! Why bother paying them to deliver, when I still have to drive somewhere to pick them up?

I know all drivers aren't like this...I just am fortunate enough to have one that's smart and figured out a way to make it back to town faster...
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 12 years ago
spacekase, I'd report that driver to his superiors. He is supposed to deliver the package to the actual address. I bet he's violating several company rules doing what he's doing.
supporter
Posted by Big Dave (+435) 12 years ago
Just my 2 cents. Over the last 3 years or so, through our business we have sent in the neighborhood of 5000 packages via priority mail. (we don't use UPS only because of the convenience of front door pickup by the mailman) I can't recall an instance where a package was lost nor can I recall priority mail item not being there in 3 days or less in the continental US. We have had some problems with parcel post and media mail, but not priority.

In fact, many priority packages are delivered the next day to addresses in the western US. It's great PR for an EBay business when people talk about how fast packages get there.

USPS might have some problems, but in my opinion Priority Mail is not one of them.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 12 years ago
I like tracking packages. My best one ever was once when I ordered a new jacket and had it shipped FedEx Ground. I ordered it on Monday evening. At around midnight pacific it left China. Early Tuesday morning it arrived in Alaska, and landed in Oakland Tuesday night. By the time I got home from work on Wednesday, it was on my doorstep. It blew my mind. Imagine a system that allows someone to get my jacket to me from China in 48 hours for like $8. I know it rarely works that well but I was impressed.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1765) 12 years ago
Amorette,

It has to do with the flight path or driving route that is used. I know the FedEx plane lands in MC after other eastern MT towns on its way back to BIL in the afternoon. There is a morning flight that lands around 8:30 AM, but there is an overlap in Sidney or Williston where packages are swapped out to go east or west. It is convoluted, but as said previously, they're not going to pay to end something as the crow flies between two places.
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 12 years ago
Levi,
How did you get a package from China Fedexed for such a little amount of money? That is amazing.

I'm still waiting on my package. They finally updated the tracking and show it arrived in town so I'm hoping it's here today!
supporter
Posted by JCF (+395) 12 years ago
I agree on priority mail - it works well. In January I needed a passport renewal ASAP (a story worth another whole thread) and sent it off to Philadelphia via priority. got the passport completed and back to me in less than 10 days. pretty amazing.