Geeks In Mourning
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 12 years ago
Co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons dies at 61
http://www.comcast.net/ar...e.Arneson/

This is sad news indeed. The creator of a game for what was a staple part of my teen-age years has died. Gary Gygax dies last year and now Dave Arneson.

My pad, paper & die go silent tonight.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6039) 12 years ago
Kyle, you've simply got to stop posting things that I ACTUALLY AGREE WITH. You're flying in the face of how things are supposed to work.

Sad day.
Posted by Derf Bergman (+585) 12 years ago
I played once. We never completed the adventure. I am still trapped in a cavern somewhere with some seminary classmates and some other really weird creatures/people/characters? I wonder if that will become a problem somewhere later in my life.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 12 years ago
Damn, I thought it said Greeks in mourning.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11786) 12 years ago
Many is the afternoon my husband, older brother and other college friends spent around the dining room table, graph paper, dice and booklets at hand. They had oodles of fun. We still have the dice and booklets around somewhere. I think my older brother still has a box of the giant graph paper. Good times.
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 12 years ago
And there are those who took it seriously. They transformed themselves into odd creatures. That game caused lots of problems for the mentally unstable people that I know that played it.

Wish it had never existed.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9198) 12 years ago
Because if it hadn't been for dungeons & dragons, your mentally unstable friends would have been perfectly fine. Right.
founder
supporter
The mentally unstable would have been mentally unstable whether they played bridge or D&D. Blaming the game for their health issues is like blaming trees for books you don't approve of. The idea of disapproving of something that millions of people enjoyed and still enjoy in perfectly normal, healthy ways because of some people who are ill and would be ill no matter what is ridiculous. I am supposed to be deprived a pleasant evening with friends because someone else has mental health issues? Does not compute.
Didn't Bridgier just say that?
Posted by joey (+100) 12 years ago
it realy is a sad day beacuse [email protected] gave birth to rpg's,MMORPG's and inspired many other wonderfull ideas.
founder
supporter
We posted simultaneously. His statement was not visible when I posted. By the time I finished my too wordy version, his more succinct version posted. Happens a lot on this site. Brilliant minds think alike.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 12 years ago
D&D never made me do anything bad, it was always Rock & Roll's fault
Oops. Sorry, Amorette. The posts seemed almost identical.
It seemed like you were writing almost exactly the same thing. Yow. Amorette, I apologize.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2733) 12 years ago
Derf - Didn't YOU just say that? Or was that a brilliant joke?
I love D&D and the genre it created, but I would be remiss if I didn't also point out the negatives.

Just look at what it did to our poor Joey. Sad.

supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3713) 12 years ago
I never played D&D, and all I knew about it was the paranoia I had heard about it being satanic and causing people to drink blood and worship the devil. When I found out what it actually was I can hardly imagine how people could have thought that if they actually knew anything about the game.

I have still never played it, but I did spend a couple years horribly addicted to an MMORPG so I have a pretty good idea what it would be like.
LARP's are also kind of interesting. I've never played those myself but when I've watched them it's pretty cool.

I think I'll get out my old die, pen and paper tonight and just create a few characters & write a short story.
Just out of curiosity to those who have played AD&D what were some of your favorite races/professions to play?

I loved playing thieves, elves, & "Han Solo" type characters.

Also the occasional chaotic evil character when I just wanted to blow off some steam after a bad day was a whole lot of fun!

I have a link to a site that's pretty funny. It has rules for AD&D for more "Mature" tastes. Things like "The Rack Critical Hit Chart" for men and the "Time of The Month" rule for women and so on. I'll post it if the Wwebmaster gives the go-ahead.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (4/11/2009)]
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3713) 12 years ago
If you're going to LARP you have to really not care what anyone thinks of you...at all.

If you're going to LARP you have to really not care what anyone thinks of you...at all.

With or without LARPs, Kyle has proven this.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9198) 12 years ago
Find yourself:

[img]http://www.brunching.com/images/geekchart2.gif[img]

(from http://www.brunching.com/...archy.html)

How was the furry convention Kyle?
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 12 years ago
Bridgier,
They were not friends....let that be heard loud and clear. What was most disturbing to me was that our local authorities at the time listened to one person spout about being a witch, troll, fairy and elf as she walked around with a black backpack and a spellbook...yet took her seriously. Seriously enough to believe any other phony story she made up. So apparently the combination of mentally ill and exceedingly stupid is a REALLY BAD COMBINATION!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 12 years ago
Darn it. Once again I thought it said "Greeks in Mourning."
Kacey -

There are millions of people who believe delusions. Why should D&D players be singled out?
Posted by jessiker (+292) 12 years ago

LOL I've only played D&D a couple of times, and was an angry little nameless gnome, but boy was it fun. I agree that Kacey is kinda singling people out - do you know how many people are, or have been, closet D&D-ers because of that kind of judgment?

[This message has been edited by jessiker (4/15/2009)]