2009 Colorado Rockies
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10018) 13 years ago
Starting the thread ...
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6118) 13 years ago
I'd like to see Tulowitzki recover from his sophomore slump. I've always liked Atkins. Along with Hawpe, they'll have to shoulder the offensive load with the departure of Holliday.

It's nice to see the Rockies be more of a competitive team in recent years. I hope they can make a playoff run this season.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4459) 13 years ago
The experts have high expectations for Tulo and all think Atkins is overrated, but I think he's consistent with Raul Ibanez or better numbers.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15285) 13 years ago
I would like to see the Rockies do well this year... but I think they are short on pitching to do much. We will see.
Posted by mule train (+1054) 13 years ago
Prediction: Hurdle is fired by Mother's Day, and Baylor lands his old job back.
supporter
After the last few days of Denver sports anything is possible.
The Rocks got their first win of the season yesterday...this is promising especially since I am a season ticket holder.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+894) 13 years ago
...I still wish I could watch them on television... grrrrrr.
supporter
Holy Crap Batman... it's a streak! Two in a row.
supporter
Ubaldo Jimenez is good, possibly great good - 186 strikeouts in as many innings last year - if he has good command he can be an actual ace in Denver - never had one of those

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (4/9/2009)]
supporter
Let's see, trade Matt Holiday, responsible for much of the scoring over the last few years, do little to improve your bullpen, trade away great players over the last few years, etc, etc, and somehow this is the managers fault? I don't see how this helps. If anyone needs to go its "dealn' Dan".

http://sports.espn.go.com...id=4215575

Bridgier was pretty close with the first part of his prediction.
supporter
WOW! Walk-off homerun in the bottom of the 9th by Todd Helton to win the game. WOW! I don't know what Tracy is doing different the Hurdle but I hope he keeps it up!
Let's see, trade Matt Holiday, responsible for much of the scoring over the last few years, do little to improve your bullpen, trade away great players over the last few years, etc, etc, and somehow this is the managers fault? I don't see how this helps. If anyone needs to go its "dealn' Dan".

You should be happy, Richard. If "Dealn' Dan" spent any money at all, you'd call him a liberal.

Holliday's not doing anything this season anyway and it would cost too much to have kept him.

It's funny how your attitude has changed over the last month, Richard.

Congrats - your team has won 15 out of 16 games and ... is still only two games above .500 and 9.5 out of the lead in the NL West.
supporter
Yes, I can admit when I am wrong.
Yes, I can admit when I am wrong.

Feel free to do it anytime.
Posted by ks (+8) 13 years ago
The Rockies had an 11-game winning streak going not long ago, and I think they've beat the Pirates in their last two games. I saw they were tied 3-3 today, so I'm not sure how their final game against Pittsburgh ended up.
supporter
Get out your brooms because the Rockies won again and swept the pirates.
So, when do the Rockies graduate from AAA ball and start playing major league teams?
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3743) 13 years ago
Ouch!
AAA ball? You must be referring tot he Yankees pathetic 0-8 record against the Red Socks.

All I know is that it's good to see the Rockies winning as it makes my "Guys Night Out" tix worth something.

16 out of 17!!!!
Don't get me wrong - I like the Rockies. I think Coors Field is a great place to watch a game and I think Denver does a fairly decent job of supporting its team.

It's also widely known that I despise the Yankees.

But I wouldn't for a single second say that the Rockies are a better team (or have a better fan base) than the Yankees. Not this year, not ever.

The Rockies are playing well. They're on their best run since the end of the 2007 season. That deserves some praise. But not more than a run in June is worth.

Don't forget what happened to the Rockies that year when they ran into a elite-level team. They were beaten like rented mules.
Arighty Brian, we will see this week if the Rockies are as good as they look. They have a California road trip this week starting tonight in Anaheim and ending with the Dodgers. We could see the Rockies only a few games back of the best team (record) in the league if all goes according to the baseball gods.
I'm all for the Rockies doing well on this trip, believe me.
17 out of 18
I'm watching the Rockies right now against LA. Good game so far, 0-0 in the top of the 7th. A win today and they will have finished 6-3 on their west coast road trip. A win would put them at 6.5 back of LA and 1.5 games back of the wild card. I still have 8 games left. Should be an interesting September.
supporter
AAA ball? I don't think so! Was it my imagination or did I hear that the Rex Sox lost Baltimore last night. No their is some AAA ball.
Just ignore Brian, Richard.

After all, he's the guy who thinks that 2 World Series wins in 86 years equates to success while other teams have been a little more consistent in that area.
AAA ball? I don't think so! Was it my imagination or did I hear that the Rex Sox lost Baltimore last night. No their is some AAA ball.

In baseball terms, your retort was a weak dribbler to short, Richard.

All teams lose games. Boston's loss to Baltimore last night was their only loss to the Orioles this season. How many divisional opponents do the Rockies have a 5-1 record against, Richard? Take your time and go look ...

Let's compare things, shall we?

As of right now, the Red Sox are 22-9 against the AL East (8-0 against the Yankees, 5-1 against the Orioles, 4-2 against the Blue Jays and 4-6 against the Rays).

The Rockies are 12-18 against the NL West (2-9 against the Dodgers, 5-3 against the Padres, 3-3 against Arizona, and 2-3 against the Giants).

How many serious baseball fans believe the NL West is a stronger division than the AL East? How many serious baseball fans believe the NL is a better league as a whole than the AL?

More importantly ...

Boston: 48-30 (.615)
Colorado: 41-36 (.532)

The Rockies showed how competitive they were against the Red Sox in 2007.
After all, he's the guy who thinks that 2 World Series wins in 86 years equates to success while other teams have been a little more consistent in that area.

Says the man whose team dropped two of three - AT HOME! - to the Nationals (!), including a shutout!

And Colorado hasn't been one of those "more consistent" teams, Kyle. You're defending the Rockies against the Red Sox in terms of success? Yeesh!

Let's talk this decade. Which is the better organization NOW? After all, if you go back far enough, the dinosaurs were a much more successful species than humans. But I don't see any T-Rex fans talking much smack right now, do you?

Get back to me when the Yankees win something again. It's been 9 years.

Besides, even BALTIMORE has done something the Yankees haven't been able to this season, Kyle.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (7/1/2009)]
Well, the Rocks had their chances. Tough loss. back to 8.5 back. Still a 5-4 road trip through Cali is not too bad for them.
supporter
"The Rockies showed how competitive they were against the Red Sox in 2007."

Perhaps you could put your "Code-Red" drink down long enough to notice that it is now 2009.
Had the Rocks not cooled off due to the Red Sox barely getting by Cleveland, the Rocks would have swept the Sox like the rest of the field that year. The 11 days off waiting to see who they were going to play killed their momentum.
Perhaps you could put your "Code-Red" drink down long enough to notice that it is now 2009.

1.) There is only one flavor of Mountain Dew, and it is not Code Red.

2.) I would have gladly talked about more recent events (I did, in fact, when I posted this season's standings and win-loss records), but it would have just been cruel of me to bring up the Rockies' 2008 season, Richard. But if you're so hell-bent to bring up their 74-88 campaign last year, far be it for me to not oblige.

I figured you'd be happy that I had the decency to talk about the Rockies in terms of the last time they were relevant/competitive. It's really not my fault if that was in 2007, now is it?

Had the Rocks not cooled off due to the Red Sox barely getting by Cleveland, the Rocks would have swept the Sox like the rest of the field that year. The 11 days off waiting to see who they were going to play killed their momentum.

That excuse might have worked had the Rockies not been swept. If they could have taken even one game from the Red Sox, I might be compelled to agree with you, mule train. But good teams don't get swept and certainly don't let 11-day layoffs derail their seasons when it matters most.

The fact of the matter is that the 2007 World Series wasn't at all competitive. With the exception of a 1-0 lead that lasted for all of 3 1/2 innings in Game 2, the Rockies never had the advantage at any point in the entire series.

http://www.baseball-refer...7_WS.shtml

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (7/1/2009)]
There is only one flavor of Mountain Dew, and it is not Code Red.

There are many great flavors of Mountain Dew Brian. Open yourself up to the choice your side so champions
Here's the thing, Kyle.

While I believe that there is only one true flavor of Mountain Dew, I recognize that others may enjoy other flavors.

Further, I believe it would be unethical, immoral and just plain rude of me to deny others the right to drink the Mountain Dew (or another beverage, or no beverage at all) of their choice.

I certainly wouldn't call for legislation that forbids people from drinking whatever Mountain Dew they wanted. My enjoyment of Mountain Dew is not impinged upon by those who favor (and/or savor) a different flavor.
Brian, you ought to make a run for office with that post.

You'd get my vote
I don't know, Kyle ... what I posted was awfully scary stuff to some folks.
what I posted was awfully scary stuff to some folks.

No more so than anything Richard, Rick, Jim or myself post.
Kyle, don't lump yourself in with Jimbo. You're better than that.
Believe what you want Brian about the 2007 Rockies, but they were the hottest team in baseball during the playoffs that year. Who knows, if Man Ram wasn't juicing more than Ron Popeil at the time, it could have been another story. Also, somebody tell me Ortiz isn't also on the stuff.
Posted by TALBOT (+249) 13 years ago
Mule Train,
David Ortiz came up to the bigs with the Twins in 1997. I have a theory about steroid use in MLB. Most (if not all) of the guys that got caught juicing have been in the league for over 10 years. I believe that we will find that most of the players on that famous list of 104 that tested positive for steroids in 2003, have been in the league for 10 or more years. Sammy Sosa is the most recent name made public from that list and he played for 10 years or more too. If my theory is correct, I believe that Big Papi was probably taking steroids.
Anyway my 2 cents about the Colorado Rockies. As you know I am a Dodger Fan. When I get cut I, bleed Dodger Blue. I have never been a fan of any other team (I really liked the Oakland A's when they started wearing those white shoes though) that was cool. But...... I digress. The Rockies had the best June in baseball. You can thank Jim Tracy for that. He used to manage the Dodgers, then went to Pittsburgh before he came to the Rockies. He's a "Players Manager". Guys play for him because they respect him (very similar to Joe Torre). If there were a time to make up ground on the Dodgers it is July. The Rockies play Arizona (31-47), Washington (22-54), Atlanta (37-40), San Diego (34-43), Arizona (Again!), San Francisco (42-35) and the error prone New York Mets (38-39). With the exception of the Giants they should clean up in July. I hope they don't but that's a pretty soft schedule. Well........That's my take on it.
TALBOT
Believe what you want Brian about the 2007 Rockies, but they were the hottest team in baseball during the playoffs that year. Who knows, if Man Ram wasn't juicing more than Ron Popeil at the time, it could have been another story. Also, somebody tell me Ortiz isn't also on the stuff.

The Rockies had a great run in the NL playoffs, I'll give you that.

Ortiz isn't on the stuff.

Despite the horrible start to the season, he's been terrific since the start of June. How's Matt Holliday hitting for the A's? How about Atkins this year? Tulo last season?

Keep grasping.
Brian,
I didn't mean to imply that David Ortiz is currently on steroids. I think he might have used them and then when he quit, his performance dropped for a little while. He should have a very productive second half of the season.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17954) 13 years ago
Eight game winning streak.

Now how about those Philadelphia Phillies??????

2007.........an aberation.

2008.........the real deal.

THE TIME IS COMING!!!!!!!
I would like to see another Dodgers-Phillies NLCS this year. Of course I would like to see the Dodgers win it this time. Hamels was just too damn good last year. He's been struggling this year though. As of now I think he's 5 and 5 but he's too good to stay down for long. Who would of thought that the Los Angeles Dodgers would have the best record in baseball at the All Star Break? Not me. But I love it. And, the leaders of the NL Wild Card both from the NL west? Wow!
supporter
Uh... I woulda thunk it. The Dodgers lineup is fantasy baseball gold.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (7/20/2009)]
Buck,
I couldn't agree more but their pitching at the start of the year was suspect, to say the least. I knew Billingsley was going to be ok but Kuroda, Wolf and Weaver? I didn't know about them. Clayton Kershaw is a name that people are going to remember though. This guy is shaping up to be a great pitcher. His BAA is under 2! and his ERA is 2.95. I don't know if you'd agree or not but I think that they have the best manager to handle that kind of talent in the majors in Joe Torre. I believe come playoff time the Yankees are really going to miss him this year.
Rockies won again last night. They are now in 1st place for the wild card. With 2+ months of baseball left to go, watch out LA!!!
Well, it's August 8th and the Rockies are tied for the Wild Card lead, 6.5 games back of the Dodgers for 1st in the NL West, and tied for the third best record in the NL.

Considering they started the season 18-28...that's pretty good. They whopped the Cubs last night, and will do it again today. ROCK ON ROCKS!!!!
For most of the season I've been pretty comfortable driving down the NL West Highway in my souped-up Dodgermobile. I'd occasionally look in my rearview mirror and see the Giants and the Rockies Busses a ways back there (the Diamondbacks and the Padres had dropped out of sight a long time ago). Right before the All-Star Break, I picked up Manny hitchhiking somewhere outside of San Diego. Juan Pierre was pissed but everything else is going along just fine. So we're just cruising along and everything is going great and I look in my side-view mirror and things are still looking pretty good..... and then I remember the writing on the bottom of that mirror, "Objects Are Closer Than They Appear". Holy Crap! Where did you guys come from? I look down at my speedometer and I'm only going the speed limit (my cruise control must be out, or something). And so now I'm thinkin' "Time to put the pedal to the metal and get some distance between me and that Turbo Charged Rockies Bus". I'm hoping for a "NO PASSING ZONE" up ahead.
TALBOT
Hey, Mule Train, I'll be waiting for you at the Finish Line!
Are the Rockies even a Major League team anymore?
rollin. rollin. ROCKTOBER! BANG!!!!
Two questions (okay, a statement and a question):

1.) It seems that the Rockies would want to find something that works better for them than "Rocktober." For one thing, it's ... August. For another, "Rocktober" didn't amount to squat last time.

2.) Since when did a homerun, a double, a single and two errors count as hitting for the cycle? Tulo was dead to rights at third, even with Soriano's initial bobble in the corner.

That's a slow-pitch beer league cycle, not an MLB-cycle.
Brian..you should try laying off the hateraid. Just because your Bo Sox were swept by the Yanks recently, doesn't mean you should be coming on this blog and bad mouthing the Rocks.

And yes, whether you like it or not, Tulo hit for the cycle last night going 5-5 with 7 RBIs. He missed a grandslam by inches as well. First ever review of instant replay at Coors Field.
Mule, I have to agree with Brian on this one. Errors do not make for a "Cycle" in baseball.
Brian..you should try laying off the hateraid. Just because your Bo Sox were swept by the Yanks recently, doesn't mean you should be coming on this blog and bad mouthing the Rocks.

Mule - I don't "hate" the Rockies. I've stated on here and elsewhere that I have nothing against them. I like to see them win.

That having been said, I think the whole "Rocktober" thing is silly. It's not "Rally Monkey" silly, but it's still silly. And at least the Rally Monkey is associated with a championship.

The Red Sox's recent struggles have nothing to do with the Rockies' current surge. The Rockies are playing well and I haven't said anything to the contrary.

And yes, whether you like it or not, Tulo hit for the cycle last night going 5-5 with 7 RBIs. He missed a grandslam by inches as well. First ever review of instant replay at Coors Field.

I know he has a cycle. I can't help but feel that had it been a road game, he'd have a homer, a single, possibly a double (the throw had him beaten to the bag by a mile - the guy covering the bag couldn't handle it, though) and another double, reaching third on an error (or two of them).

It's a cycle, but a very questionable one. I'd like Rockies fans a lot more if they weren't such short-sighted/memoried homers.
Feel free to celebrate "Rocktober" in October, Mule.

"Rockgust" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Question: which team did all of you "die-hard" Rockies fans root for prior to 1993?
Answer: Philadelphia Phillies (and I still do cheer for them when they are not playing the Rockies)

I like Rockgust...but I think we should move the "s" and call it Rockguts...'cause that's what this team has( even I'm not sure what that means).

Also, I agree that the Cubs fielding was horrible this weekend.

One last thing about your Red Sox... I can go to 20-25 Rockies games for the same price to go to one Fenway game. And guessing from the fact Brian that you live in Billings (arguably the sh*tiest town in Montana)...I'm betting that you have seen the same number of games at Fenway that I have in the past 6 years. So cheer all you want...your team will be sure to hear you through the tv.

Cheers!
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5105) 13 years ago
God, I'd never want to go to a game at Fenway.

But I hate most chowds.

So I wouldn't want to attend a Patriots or Celtics game either.
rollin. rollin. ROCKTOBER! BANG!!!!

You sound like a choo-choo train, Mule.

One last thing about your Red Sox... I can go to 20-25 Rockies games for the same price to go to one Fenway game. And guessing from the fact Brian that you live in Billings (arguably the sh*tiest town in Montana)...I'm betting that you have seen the same number of games at Fenway that I have in the past 6 years. So cheer all you want...your team will be sure to hear you through the tv.

You really know how to make a rational argument that appeals to reason rather than emotion, don't you, Mule? You could have said, "My dad can beat up your dad" and save a few keystrokes.

Your ability to go to 20-25 Rockies games for the same price as one game at Fenway impresses me to no end. Good for you. Did you get some sort of award for that?

I haven't been to a Red Sox game at Fenway since 1999, but I did see one at Yankees Stadium in 2006. I also saw a couple of Rockies games in 2006. Can I have one of those medals that you've stuck to your chest, too?

I live in Billings. Big whoop. Night is dark and hell is hot. Does that really matter in this discussion? No. Does your opinion of Billings matter? Not at all. Why even bring it up?

Say what you will about Billings, it's not shriveling up and dying. It's also not full of people who think it's a "big city" on par with Denver.

If it were at all on-topic, I'd love to hear what I'm sure is your enlightened rationale for labeling Billings "arguably the sh*tiest town in Montana," but I'm sure it would be a waste of time.

Why not? Their fans are at least knowledgeable and consistent in their passion for the team they're rooting for.

It's not like they get there in the top of the third inning and leave in the bottom of the seventh.

Oh, and Mule - read the SECOND post in this thread. Don't tell me I haven't been respectful to the Rockies.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (8/11/2009)]
supporter

Why not? Their fans are at least knowledgeable and consistent in their passion for the team they're rooting for.

----------------

I don't like most chowds.

Since I don't like chowds, I won't be going to Boston any time soon to roam among the [email protected]
Now now now, Bob - if you haven't BEEN to a game at Fenway, how would you know what a game at Fenway would be like?

But to be perfectly honest, I hate crowds too.

[This message has been edited by Brian A. Reed (8/11/2009)]
supporter
Brian:

I know you're messing with me.

But I'm talking about CHOWDS CHOWDS CHOWDS CHOWDS CHOWDS.
Why, Bob! I've never messed with anyone in my life!
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9424) 13 years ago
Have I mentioned that I find baseball at best a minor improvement over cricket, and that only because they've managed to reduce a game played over the course of 5 days (and yes Brian, I'm aware that "test" cricket is significantly shorter) to one that can be played (I'm told) in under 4 hours without losing any of the drama or excitement.
Brian... you must be half Vulcan. Do you know Rob and Ron Hendricks?
Can't say that I do, Mule.
Did your hate come from the last time you were at a game in NYC?

If this is you, I can understand why.

Also, (not that it has anything to do with you) here are three reasons why Billings is affectionately know as Glendive West...

1) the stink
2) the meth
3) too many g.d. strip malls

I mention Billings, because it might have something to do with your lack of a life in correlation to the number of posts you post on here daily. Look, we can be friends...I'll start a 2009 Red Sox post where you can talk to your minions.
If this is you, I can understand why.

It's not. Sorry.

Also, (not that it has anything to do with you) here are three reasons why Billings is affectionately know as Glendive West...

1) the stink
2) the meth
3) too many g.d. strip malls

1.) Billings has two refineries and a sugar factory near the interstate. When you drive by them, you can smell them. They don't smell good, but they're revenue-generating industry. I know that's a foreign concept in Miles City, but it's a good thing.

2.) "The meth" Really? Does a representative of Miles City REALLY want to bring up meth? Honestly?

3.) There are stores in Billings. Stores are good. You can purchase things in stores. Miles City could use one or two stores. Maybe they can trade a casino for some. On second thought, nix that. Billings has a surplus of casinos, too. But at least there are other things here to offset the casinos.

I mention Billings, because it might have something to do with your lack of a life in correlation to the number of posts you post on here daily. Look, we can be friends...I'll start a 2009 Red Sox post where you can talk to your minions.

I've lived a substantial amount of time in Billings AND Miles City. I speak out of experience when I say that both communities have their pros and cons. But like the number of posts I contribute, our opinions regarding either town has any bearing on the Rockies or the Red Sox.

My job requires me to sit behind a computer all night. It also requires me to stay awake and be alert. That means I need to have an activity that keeps my brain active. Milescity.com does that for me.
So does Mountain Dew!
This is true.
I know I am asking for it, and I should just leave well enough alone, BUT I just have to ask....

My job requires me to sit behind a computer all night. It also requires me to stay awake and be alert. That means I need to have an activity that keeps my brain active. Milescity.com does that for me.

If you are up all night behind a computer...then why in the name of Mary Lou Retton are you on the computer all day as well? How's your eye sight? It would seem that a large number of your posts are during the day. Do you not sleep?

Just curious.
supporter
Uh... mule train, you answered your own question - meth. Who needs sleep?
Mule - I'm on the computer during the daytime hours on my days off.
don't look now TALBOT, but LA's lead is down to 3.5
supporter
I wonder if Mule Train stayed for the end o' the game last night.
I feel asleep in the 12th inning. What a game though. Grand Slam in the 14th!!! 3 games behind LA. I have great seats for tonight's game 1 against Man Ram and the boys in blue. With any luck there will be a tie for first in the NL West by Thursday.
supporter
You've got season ducets, no?
It's a thing called "Guy's Night Out" every Tuesday home game. I never thought that the Rockies would be any where near 1st place when I bought the package back in March. I am selling my Sept. 22nd tickets vs. the Padres on Craigs List (my wedding anniversary...because the Rocks are so hot...I'll be able to get over a thrid of my money back one this one game alone. I still have the Mets, the Reds and the Brewers to finish off Sept.

But none bigger than tonight...it's playoff baseball in August!
supporter
That's cool. Hope you enjoy the game tonight.
supporter
In the third post I was super wrong, but it's all worth it because I was totally right in post 10. I'm still not entirely sure how the Rockies are this good, though.
TULO!!!!
supporter
I'd give more credit to Huston Street.
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+373) 13 years ago
A lot of baseball to yet be played,but the Rockies could have really put the pressure on the Dodgers,had they swept all three games.You know the Dodgers have to be happy with a four game lead when it easily could have been a tie.I'm a Dodger fan through and through,but I have to admire the Rockie's surge/comeback so far.
collapse...even in the wild card. Mets coming to town. Hopefully the rocks can win a series this week.
From Rockgust to disgust so soon, Mule? Tsk-tsk. There's still Rocktember to be played. Chin up.
supporter
You should bask in the glow that my Phantastic Philadelphia Phillies are about to take on the Giants....so the Giants are going to lose at least 2 out of the next 3.

While you were glumly watching Giants smack grand slams out of the ball park, I was busy catching endless 8-14 inch cutthroats out of a Montana high country lake today. Absolutely a fantastic day.....all 6 of us took 2-3 home to fry in our skillets.

Did my image get through on your phone? I was unsure about cell transmission/reception up where I was.
Posted by Joe Whalen (+622) 13 years ago
"When the Giants come to town, it's bye-bye baby!"

Giants vs. Phillies

Game 1~ Sanchez v. Hammels: A draw with an edge to Hammels
Game 2~ Lincecum v. Happ: A field day for Lincecum
Game 3~ Zito v. Martinez: All over but the crying for Philly

The Dodgers are about to feel Giant heat breathing down the backs of their necks, as they usually do toward the end of the season.
Posted by down home (+39) 13 years ago
It should be a good series, Phillies vs Giants. Recent history though is not too good for the Phillies;

July 30th -- Giants win 7-2
July 31st -- Phillies win 5-1
August 1st -- Giants win 2-0
August 2nd -- Giants win 7-3

Those games were at AT&T park where the Giants play out of their minds. This series is in Philly and the Giants are not too good on the road.

[This message has been edited by down home (8/31/2009)]
supporter
I wouldn't put all my money on a field day for Lincecum - that Phillies lineup deserves some sort of nickname like Murderer's Row.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1903) 13 years ago
Rocks are now within 2 of LA with plenty of time left.
The train is back on the track!!!

[This message has been edited by mule train (9/11/2009)]
supporter
Uh Oh! Braves just two behind the Rockies with a much easier schedule.
Posted by Patrick Petroff (+67) 13 years ago
I have faith in the Rockies. You're right Bob, the Braves have a couple more against the Marlins who they are 8-8 against this year, but then they face the Washington Nationals in which they are 10-4 against them. Rockies swept a three-game series from the Brewers earlier this year, but they have to face those damn Dodgers in Los Angeles. They are 3-12 against the boys in blue. Go Rockies!
supporter
On the plus side - LA, having clinched, might be resting a lot of regulars.
I've gotta agree with you Bob. The Dodgers will continue to rest their players until the postseason. Manny, Casey Blake and Ronnie Belliard are hurting the most right now. I really hope that the Rockies win the Wild card. The Dodgers are 3-4 against Atlanta this year. I'd also like to see the Dodgers play the Phills in the 1st round instead of St. Louis but we'll see how it plays out.
supporter
Look out for the Braves! Only two back and charging!

God, I hate the Braves as bad as the Yankees and Red Sox.

ATL fans are the worst in sports, Turner Field is a s***hole.

Twins with a day/night at Comerica - they need to take both from Detroit today (unlikely)

Detroit is a s***hole but Comerica is cool. Tailgating before/after the game is a little scary, though.
3 game lead...5 games to go
I say "Dodgers Clinch Tonight in San Diego!" Jon Garland is on the mound for the Dodgers and I've got to believe that they won't lose 4 in a row.
O.K., O.K.... it's the 4th inning and the Dodgers are down 4 to 0. Garland is getting pounded and the Dodgers bats are anemic but I still say they clinch tonight!
PS....The Rockies have already won tonight, so, no help from them. Surprise surprise.

[This message has been edited by TALBOT (9/30/2009)]
Rockies can clinch the Wild Card today with a win. Hold on TALBOT.....the Dodgers still have a chance to choke.
Ohhhh, I know.... Man, I was so sure that they wouldn't lose 4 in a row. Good thing I didn't put any cash money on it. People on the Dodger web site were joking that they were waiting to clinch until they got back home so that Vin Scully could be a part of it. Even though the Dodgers only have to win one out of three to clinch, it's too damn close for me. You know if this thing plays out right, our teams could really help each other out. If the Rockies could knockout those pesky St. Louis Cardinals and the Dodgers would do the same to the Phillies that would be a great NLCS. So I say....Good Luck in the Play-offs!
Clinched the wild card today...3 games left...2 games back of LA
Hooray! A Triple-A team makes it into the MLB Post Season.
douchebagsayswhat
supporter
I think he confused the Rockies and the Mariners. Not sure how.
supporter
It's gonna be close! Two more games. I still don't understand what Tracy did differently with the same group of guys than Hurdle, but that's okay. I sure like the results.
BIG game tonight....I'm feeling lucky. I blasted my first grouse of the year today....the Griz are 4-0....and I have a three day weekend. Rockies win tonight!!!
It looks like Mule Train's prediction was a bit premature........

Looks like Rocktober has fizzled out.

Now onto REAL MLB Teams in the playoffs.....
AND that is why "I don't bet on baseball" to borrow a line from Pete Rose. Who knew De La Rosa would hurt himself half way through a no hitter?

Rocktober is just warming up. Rockies vs. Phillies up next.
supporter
Mule:

It's for the best. The Phillies, with "Gas Can" Lidge as their closer, are a much better matchup than St. Louis.

And, for the record, I do not wager on baseball. Not often.
Colorado poops the bed game 1...look for them to even up poop tomorrow.
supporter
That Cliff Lee is somethin', huh?
Posted by Mike Zier (+142) 13 years ago
Why yes he is
How about that Aaron Cook?

Rocktober!!!!!
supporter
supporter
I dunno who has been a bigger disappointment this year...Hamels or Lidge.

Oh well....it ain't over till its over.
Posted by Mike Zier (+142) 13 years ago
Lidge! by far in my book.

Should be a nice 20 degree day for game 3.
Posted by Mike Zier (+142) 12 years ago
Well Lidge got the save BUT it was not easy. I wonder if Cliff Lee can pitch in the cold?
Posted by mule train (+1054) 12 years ago
I was at the game last night. I can't believe Street blew it. What a disappointment. The Rocks had their chances to win this series. Oh well, it was a great run...good season. I hope Philly can repeat now.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15285) 12 years ago
Yes, Street certainly had his chances. They were very close to moving on. The Rockies were a pleasant surprise and had a much better season than I thought they would. Maybe next year.