Writer's Group / Salon
founder
Posted by Joe Whalen (+183) 15 years ago
After a couple weeks hiatus, I'm hoping we can put these bookstore events back on schedule.

My calendar shows that this would be a Writer's Group night and next week is scheduled for a Salon. I don't expect a big showing tonight but the store will be open for those who turn out.

So, what's a "Salon" anyway? It's a current events discussion group that has been meeting every other Wednesday for a little over a year. Topics range from local to international, from historical to futuristic, and from lightly humored to deadly serious. The focus is on discussion rather than debate. It strives to be both non-partisan and non-denominational.

For those hankering for another Salon meeting, tomorrow night's reading of "Letter from Birmingham Jail" should provide plenty of fodder for discussion afterwards.

Regards,

Joe
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3214) 15 years ago
Hurah!
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+828) 15 years ago
And hurry, too! I wish we had something similar in GT Falls -we used to have a great bookstore (Book Market) in downtown GF - Barnes and Noble came in and PHHHT - no more. Joe, please keep fighting the good fight! Small, independent booksellers are the heart and soul of free thought. I was in San Francisco at City Lights to celebrate their 50th - Larry Ferlinghetti was there and I got a chance after 35 years to tell him how much a hippie (beat) girl from Miles City learned from just hanging out there in the 60's. Carry the torch!
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3214) 15 years ago
Dona, how did Lawrence Ferlinghetti look after low these many years? He is a real survivor. Please talk about the celebration a little.

[This message has been edited by Tucker Bolton (edited 1/22/2005).]
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+828) 15 years ago
Well, Tucker, he looked older, but strong. Mentally, he is as sharp as ever. Grant and I attended a reading at City Lights featuring Alejandro Murguia from his wonderful collection called "This War Called Love." Neal Cassady's son John read letters from Jack Kerouac to his father. Readings by Diane DiPrima, the activist poet, and of course, across the alley at Vesuvio, lots of beer!
It was wonderful to see that not much had changed at City Lights since I left the City in 1972. I always loved the North Beach area -the food, especially, and we spent most of the week (June 2003) in or around that area. The City Lights 50th Birthday was the highlight of our visit.
founder
Just a reminder...the Salon discussion group is scheduled for this evening at 7 p.m. at Miles City Books & News, 907A Main St.
founder
Posted by Johnnie Lockett Thomas (+393) 15 years ago
Hey Joe,

What are we talking about tonight? Since I've been able to walk to the library this week, I thought I would cab it down this evening. Can you promise me a good time, sailor?

The only person in town to make it to the FBI's 10 most wanted list.
founder
Hi Johnnie,

I thought maybe we'd open with a discussion about Sgt. Stedanko's new haircut and see where that takes us.

Actually, there's very seldom a topic on the agenda for the salon. We warm up with general conversation and, before you know it, we're off-and-running at the mouth. Thus far, we've rarely failed to keep things stimulating with this group.

We'd love to have you here, Johnnie.
founder
THE SALON SCHEDULED FOR WEDNESDAY AT 7 P.M. HAS BEEN POSTPONED TO THURSDAY EVENING AT 7 P.M. IN LIEU OF THE SPEAKER'S BUREAU EVENT HONORING JEANNETTE RANKIN. THE PRESENTATION BEGINS AT 7 P.M. AT THE CUSTER COUNTY ART & HERITAGE CENTER.

The Miles City Speaker's Bureau is sponsoring the appearance of Ms. Allyson Adams in her presentation of "Peace is a Woman's Job: The Journey of Jeannette Rankin". In 1916, Montanan's elected Jeannette Rankin to the U.S. Congress where she served as its first female member and remains one of its most admired and controversial historical figures.

I realize that this postponement is arbitrary and I apologize for the short notice. However, I have it on good authority that Ms. Adams' show is not to be missed.