Pictures of main street now
Posted by Kathie Zoller (+25) 13 years ago
Can someone post pictures of the buildings now that hte fire is out. It is so hard to live away from Miles City and not being able to see and feel the home town. Thank you Kathie
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10016) 13 years ago
Here's one before and after ...

Source: http://www.montanasnewsst...S=10054547
Posted by Kathie Zoller (+25) 13 years ago
Wow! So sad. Any plans on what is going to happen to the land?
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1280) 13 years ago
No one saw my question posted in the fire thread, what did the history guy say about the Shore's building? How about the engineer? Can the building be fixed?
Posted by Jody K (+105) 13 years ago
Since that picture the Cellar has been torn down and a chain link fence (with barbed wire) has been put up around the site. Does anyone have a picture of that?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12085) 13 years ago
The history guy, whose name is Jennifer, is not a structural engineer nor a historic architect. She had encouragement and advice on hiring both those parties, even some funding sources, but right now the problem is finding a structural engineer and a historic architect we can afford who can fit in a trip to Miles City. The general consensus is the Shore's building probably could be saved but no one who is actually qualified to make that call has seen it yet.

So, we are still waiting. Jennifer said we are ahead of Bozeman and Whitehall, so don't think this is going slowly. Some things just take time.
Posted by Matt Schmitz (+410) 13 years ago
Miles City is certainly ahead of Bozeman in regards to moving forward. Our city manager here in Bozeman told the lawyers and insurance companies that clean up WILL begin on April 8th, and they damn well better be done with there business by then. I am glad he finally took a stand, but I don't expect to see any action next Thursday. I understand that they have to do a job, but our city can't begin to heal fully until this mess on main street starts to go away. The loss of a life here certainly complicates things, but it's time to show some forward progress. They haven't yet touched a single piece of debris.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1280) 13 years ago
Yeah but Matt, you have to remember, this is kinda old hat for MC. We've been down this road enough to know what to do to get things moving.
founder
Posted by Linda Stallard Santoro (+18) 13 years ago
Can any of the bricks be salvaged to make a temporary "plaza" on the site until construction of any kind can begin?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12085) 13 years ago
The brick issue is complicated. You have to figure out ownership. Are they the property of the property owner, the salvage company or the insurance company? I'd love to be able to buy some for memories but, at the moment, ownership and investigation are blocking that. Maybe later.

There may be a structural engineer coming Wednesday but that isn't for sure yet. Problem with living in the boonies. I'd like to see the Shores building issue settled ASAP but life doesn't work that way. Fire is fast. Recovery is not.
Posted by Patricia (+69) 13 years ago
Amorette:
Maybe this question has already been asked/answered by you or others and I missed it, but here goes:
What will happen to the rest of the block which burned? I know someone came and took a look at the old "Shores" building, but what about the "Arnold Block"? Are there any plans to rebuild it in that same style or at least have the same facade or ...? Just wanted to know. It would be sad if some tin shacks a la St. V's would go up.
Just wondering.
Posted by snickers (+828) 13 years ago
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17668) 13 years ago
Keep in mind that land is privately owned. Once the fire investigation is complete I would assume that it's up to the landowners to decide what they want to do.

How much do you think it would cost to build a new building similar in size and appearance to the Arnold Block building? I don't see it happening anytime soon.

- Dave
Posted by Rob Shipley (+479) 13 years ago
Miles City is ahead of Bozeman? Duh? After two very devastating tragedies this is an odd comment. Alfred E. Newman could be ahead of Miles City if he were the mayor somewhere. Wonder if the Miles City mayor will issue Public Nuisance citations to the guys who started this fire? An $8,000,000 fire is surely a great deal more than an unmowed lawn and someone just using his own property as he wants.
Posted by Rob Shipley (+479) 13 years ago
Mr. David Schott: You are EXACTLY right. The tragedy has begun. The fire is out but the huge fires between the insurance companies and the banks will be big ones. And, when it comes to liabilities and lawsuits, the land in question is PRIVATELY owned as per the U.S. Constitution that guarantees such basic inalienable rights. I know t there will proceed rebuilding as the insurance policies are written to "replace" in order to pay off. Another park where the hole is.....like next to the Hole In The Wall? No way. My family used to own the big building here and its loss is severe,but, it will all be rebuilt I am sure. Too damned bad the MCFD brought in the damned big fan to air it out.....BEFORE the fire was OUT ! ! !
The three (3) sides of the Fire Triangle are......fuel,oxygen,heat. So when your fuel is soaked and wet and the heat is depressed the best way to REIGNITE such a fire is BLAST IT WITH AIR....exactly like the MCFD did. Genuine.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2313) 13 years ago
Here are 3 pictures of what I have. http://www.flickr.com/pho...387849496/

[This message has been edited by Josh Rath (4/5/2009)]
Posted by btme (+84) 13 years ago
Shipley says: "Too damned bad the MCFD brought in the damned big fan to air it out.....BEFORE the fire was OUT ! ! !
The three (3) sides of the Fire Triangle are......fuel,oxygen,heat. So when your fuel is soaked and wet and the heat is depressed the best way to REIGNITE such a fire is BLAST IT WITH AIR....exactly like the MCFD did. Genuine."

Suddenly Rob you have become a trained firefighter, you know the tools of firefighting and how they are used, maybe you should do a little research on what you are talking about before you start piping off at the mouth, everybody in the close to 300 posts about the fire have been positive and constructive in what they say, they have maintained good attitudes toward the people that spent countless hours fighting that fire, but then to stir the pot you come in here and have to bash those people who risked thier lives in that fire, i didn't see you there putting out fire, you have no clue what you are talking about, so why don't you keep your idiotic theories to yourself.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1889) 13 years ago
btme....But then we wouldn't know about his idiotic theories.
supporter
Posted by JCF (+389) 13 years ago
I think that if Ship would have paid his taxes, the fire wouldn't have been so bad. I'd guess the fire is all Ship's fault. Send him the bill. His attack on the firefighters proves his complicity in the fire. Just using old Ship's logic here, in reverse.