Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+481) 13 years ago
Hey! I just heard on CNN that the pentagon is sending troops to help out in Fargo. Thats great! I know they need all the help they can get! My question is: Since when does the pentagon have the authority to send federal troops anywhere? They can't do that! If the pentagon is now making decisions like that, we are in deep trouble! Or perhaps it's Gates? What are your thoughts?
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1291) 13 years ago
OH!!! Sure it's OK for North Korea to have nukes but the Pentagon can't help out North Dakota?
That's not what I said. Please read it again.
The pentagon is a logistic group of the military only. The decision to deport troops ANYWHERE is not in their jurisdiction.
I am glad Fargo has more help!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11977) 13 years ago
Did the Governor of North Dakota request troops? Also, there are military bases in N.D. Maybe they were deployed from nearby, like Rapid City. Miles City was once bombed by a plane from Rapid City and we were delighted.
Don't know. All I know about it is a reader board on CNN. No details. It said "the pentagon". Tf the pentagon ordered this, it sets a precedent. If they are taking on the power to send troops anywhere, good or bad; this is a dangerous precedent. I'm not in any way upset about this, but it is setting off little red flags.
Posted by Jeff Newby (+158) 13 years ago
Ohhhhh ok thats what our government does when they send me to some place to get my little white butt shot at deported??? Damn for 19yrs in the Army and I've always called it and heard it refered to Deployed. Wow sure am glad someone on here learnt me what that thare word was. Oh and by the way ALL the ORDERS come from the Pentegon AFTER Congress and the President send the orders to the puzzle palace.
Jeff Newby, I didn't mean deported. That was goofy! I didn't mean to offend you in any way. I was unaware all orders go through the pentagon. CNN news gave the immpression the pentagon initated the orders. That was my only question. Why are you all so angry at me?
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2103) 13 years ago
North Dakota National Guard was sent by the Gov several days ago. They are using a drone to fly the river. They are also using helio's from Minot AFB
When they deploy Soldiers like during Katrina the Soldiers and other service members are there to help. Would the general public feel better having US Soldiers helping out or contract companies like BLACKWATER there. I aint mad by the way, my sarcasim sometimes gets taken for anger.
I guess I'm not expessing myself correctly. This has nothing to do with North Dakota. I am very in favor of North Dakota or Katrina, (or anyone in need) receiving all the help they can get. It's only about the pentagon taking over the initiation of giving ANY military orders to send troops, if it be anarchy in the streets, or helping in a crisis. This is something the pentagon has never done before and it is not in their jurisdiction to do so. Perhaps, as you say, the orders came from higher in the government, but, CNN gave the impression the pentagon initiated the orders. T.V. news goes through quite a censorship, I think, so we only get bits and pieces of the real news. Perhaps CNN misrepresented this headline.
Easy to do, I see, as no one seems to understand the point of this thread as written. Because of this, we should probably just let it fade away. Sorry I'm not correctly communicating my point.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1887) 13 years ago
Whenever you see a news item ALWAYS jump to the most paranoid conclusion.
Well Cheryl speaking form experiance in Iraq the media tells the public what the media wants the public to see. People like to see the bad stuff over good. You dont see the Civil Affairs teams going and building schools and sitting inthe classrooms with the kids in Iraq. I saw a 12-14 yr old boy over there who had lost his leg (long before the US started military operations there). He was using makeshift crutchs that were barely staying together. So I went and used my scrounging skills and found a real pair for him. There was no media there to see me doing that. The media sure as hell was there when we got tired of getting ambushed from a palm grove and we went in and bulldozed the area. The media had a field day with that one. The media likes to fixate on crap like Abu Grahb prison photos.
Where was the media when the insurgents shot up a school after we got it finished and ready for kids to go back. NO WHERE!
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2103) 13 years ago
The AFB at Grand Forks is being used as a staging area. FEMA is working out of GFAFB. One of the missions of GFAFB is working with drones and they have drones flying the river. They also have brought in some Coast Guard rescue helios and the aforementioned helios from MinotAFB.
I have not heard of any troop deployment by the Pentagon. The troops that are there are North Dakota National Guard which was activated by Gov. Hoeven. TheND NG is also assisting in flood problems at Bismarck, Linton and wherever else needed. Once the Red is past Fargo there are problems all the way north. GF should be ok though as they have a 50 dike. The Red River Valley is the flatest land and possibly the most fertile land in the US.
supporter
Posted by Barb Holcomb (+401) 13 years ago
"It's only about the pentagon taking over the initiation of giving ANY military orders to send troops, if it be anarchy in the streets, or helping in a crisis. This is something the pentagon has never done before and it is not in their jurisdiction to do so."

Cheryl - the Pentagon is a building (an inanimate object). The occupants of the building would issue an order if and when the state of North Dakota asked for federal assistance. It happens a lot with wild fires, floods, hurricanes, etc. Just because you weren't aware of the process, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
THANK YOU BARB!!! You made it a little easier to understand.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17731) 13 years ago
All I know about it is a reader board on CNN. No details. It said "the pentagon".

You really should start getting your news from a better source.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1591) 13 years ago
Since, we are on the subject can you find out whom gave the orders to bomb Cambodia?
I dont know Brady but maybe we will get a paranoid dellusional answer from someone on here.
Posted by Jeremy Orthman (+441) 13 years ago
Jeff,

I'm not sure if you remember me, but I'm curious where your stationed now.
Stationed in Cheyenne, WY now. Working for the WYARNG till I can retire next year. Where you at now?? Last time I talked to Ricky he said you were back east somewhere.
Posted by Jeremy Orthman (+441) 13 years ago
Fort Myer, VA, but getting ready to PCS to Fort Stewart, GA later this summer.
Ewwww Stewart We jumped in there one time for their warfighter. That was the longest two weeks ever.