Amorette the historian....
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1279) 13 years ago
As I ponder the history of Miles City and of things that are and were, I was thinking about the great job Amorette does to maintain the rich history that is our "hometown". She knows all the little secrets and stories that makes our place a great place to be from and to talk about. When we have a loss as we've had this week, those bits of history become memories and not tangible items. While we will struggle to remember those tid-bits from time to time, Amorette has made it her work and passion to know all of those things and sharing them for us to enjoy for years to come.

Amorette, thank you for your hard work!
Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+481) 13 years ago
I agree! She has all the facts! But I don't understand where she works. Does she work for the newspaper? She sounds like an extremely interesting lady!
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+405) 13 years ago
I agree. It is people devoted to this type of pursuit who help us maintain a sense of community as well as preserving the history. Miles City is fortunate to have her!
supporter
Posted by T Brown (+484) 13 years ago
Ditto!!!!!!!!!!! You are one heck of a gal Amorette. Thank you for all you do.
supporter
Posted by jeanne m bole (+186) 13 years ago
I agree Amorette is a wonderful asset to Miles City and all of who
are regulars on Miles City.com.
Thanks Amorette
Jeanne Bole
Again, Does she work for the newspaper or the museum, or what?
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6115) 13 years ago
Again, Does she work for the newspaper or the museum, or what?

Yes.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17521) 13 years ago
I give Amorette Allison credit for standing up for historic preservation in Miles City when it seems like much of the community is indifferent if not outright hostile toward such efforts. Amorette recognizes the importance of Miles City's rich history and the appeal that a well-maintained historic district can have in drawing tourists and even new residents to the community.

How many people were pretty ho-hum about the "Miles Block" and "Arnold Block" buildings prior to Monday's fire but now look at the vacant lot that remains and feel almost sick to their stomach over the loss?

Amorette writes a history column for the Miles City Star called "The Way We Were". Each year those columns are consolidated into a book by the same name. The most recent edition is Volume 5, I think. (It's the latest that I have, anyway.)

If you enjoy reading about Miles City's history I encourage you to support Amorette (and Miles City) by purchasing a copy of her book(s). I'm sure she'd be happy to let you know how to do so. And I'm sure anyone who wishes to make a donation to Miles City's Historic Preservation Office would be welcomed as well.

If you were to ask our webmaster what prompted him to develop this website I suspect he'd say his interest in Miles City's history was a driving force. (This from the man who once told me that the best thing he ever saw was Miles City in his rear-view mirror.)

You may not get too revved up over Miles City's history but a number of people do and it's an asset that Miles City should capitalize on. I think Amorette recognizes this and does something about it. I say "Bully!" to Amorette, and, "Thank you."

- Dave
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1887) 13 years ago
Stop it! You're making her blush!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 13 years ago
He is!!! Now I have to go and buy a bigger hat since my head has swelled so much. It's either praise or an allergic reaction to smoke.

I am the City Historic Preservation Officer. This is a post partly funded by the City and partly by the National Park Service--who administers the National Register of Historic Places--through the state Historic Preservation Office. If you want to get a building listed on the Register or get a sign for a registered building or learn about the tax credit program for commercial historic buildings, that's me. My office has also become a repository of historic ephemera like old maps, photographs, lodge records, city records, what all.

I write a history column for the Star and they are collected together every Christmas into books sold to support the above office. Yes, I am up to Book Five.

I also come from a family of historians (ask my older brother about trying to figure out how to play Gettysburg) and grew up in an old house so I just ended up where I am logically.

And I have a big mouth and am not shy. Also helpful on the job!

I'm writing a history of each of the buildings for a special edition the Star hopes to put out next week on the tragedy. Plus the Miles City Preservation Commission, my bosses, are starting to plan for how this fire can be an opportunity for some downtown improvements.

Thanks guys! Sentiments like yours keep me going when buildings are falling down around my ears.
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+405) 13 years ago
I would love to know how to obtain the books. I am thinking they would make great gifts.
Posted by V (+175) 13 years ago
I think it is absolutly wonderful that we have a person like
Amorette. Amorette is full of information and she also has a refreshing personality. Keep up the Great work Amorette.
founder
supporter
Hello, Donna. You can send a check for $10 per book plus $2 shipping to the Miles City Preservation Office, 907 B Main Street, Miles City with the check made out to the Miles City Preservation Commission or MCPC. If you prefer to pay by credit card, contact with the Star Store or Riggs Camera and Gifts, as they also carry my books.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 13 years ago
Meanwhile back at the bat cave Mr. Brian Grass-blowing-in-the-wind is writing a Haiku in honor of our esteemed (or maybe just steamed) historian.

Amorette, when will you start on the history of MC.com, and what will you say about it?
Posted by Fred South (+170) 13 years ago
Amorette is a wonderful asset to Miles City and a great gal to work with.
supporter
Posted by Diona Austill (+188) 13 years ago
Amorette,
In light of the recent fire, how are all the records and photos you have at your office backed up? Have you scanned them in and taken them home on cd? Anything? After this big fire, and your office being in an old building, that is something to think about. I would hate to see all that precious information lost!
Diona
Posted by Jeff Newby (+158) 13 years ago
To bad there wasnt a secure public server that stuff like what Diona was talking about to be backed up on. I know at work we have one incase something goes bad. Just a thought.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10040) 13 years ago
Amorette does an amazing job. Miles is darn lucky to have her as its Preservation Officer.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6115) 13 years ago
Meanwhile back at the bat cave Mr. Brian Grass-blowing-in-the-wind is writing a Haiku in honor of our esteemed (or maybe just steamed) historian.

I prefer the term "ReedDome," Richard. Casa de Reed is also acceptable.

Someday, let's say 2,000 years from now, my Haiku may be discovered buried in the sand amongst the ruins of a long-abandoned community in the desert. Perhaps the more impressionable members of society at the time will find the poetry beautiful and inspiring. So beautiful and inspiring, perhaps, that they'll call it a "psalm" and base their civilization around it.

Maybe, because my Haiku will be found near Amorette's documentation of the history of Miles City, they'll also discover reference to a great fire that destroyed a good-sized (and important) part of the community. Maybe the people who unearth Amorette's notes will take it several orders of magnitude further and believe that the consumed all of the city and was the result of divine wrath for not appreciating Haiku.

The people of tomorrow will lament, "Why, oh why did this Richard Bonine have to mock Brian and his divinely-inspired poetry? Why did he have to bring down destruction upon this once-proud city? Why did he toy with fate? Why???"

Or is that not plausible? Stranger things have happened.

Miles Town's Chronicler
Keeps history alive, real
Thank you, Amorette
supporter
I prefer bat cave.
Thanks for clarifying that, Amorette! Do you ever speak at the public schools? With all the glorious history around Miles City, my teachers never mentioned why this was such an exciting place to grow up! I hope the children are aware of this.
Sounds as though you are GREAT at you job! Best of luck to you!
founder
supporter
I don't do schools much but every social, civic, service, fraternal society has me once and a while as a speaker. I am the frequently the backup speaker. If your main speaker drops out an hour before the program is scheduled to start, give me a call!
supporter
Do you give a lot of pep talks in place of the principal over at SHHS?
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 13 years ago
Where's SHHS?
supporter
Sorry, freudian slip. SHGS and SHJH which is now in the old high school.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1659) 13 years ago
I was thumbing through my old CCHS annual and came across many pics of Amorette. Notably was one where she was a member of the "Science Club". There were a total of three members, along with sponsor John Potts. Wonder if you remember who the other members were?

FH
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1887) 13 years ago
Without looking I'll guess Jim Birkholz and Bruce Winters.
Posted by Ellen Compton (+37) 13 years ago
As to historical buildings, I just received information about my Uncle William Frederick Schmalsle. It is said that he owned some cat houses in Miles City. Also, that the house at Riverview Gardens was a cat house that may have been owned by Schmalsle. I think that my father's father Gustav may have bought it from Schmalsle and then moved his family into it. I have seen current pictures of the house at Riverview Gardens and it needs repair and painting. Would it be possible to declare this house and land a historic site with appropriate plaque? Now the mystery deepens, how do I find land records on Schmalsle? Also, I have heard that he owned or worked a mine near Miles City. It seems that the more I do our genealogy, the more questions and mysteries come up.
As to my Uncle Maurice Hilleman, it would be wonderful if a park was named after him.
Ellen K. Hillemann
I would LOVE to have a copy of that Special Edition on Miles City. I have been doing my genealogy for many years and so far I have 17 books on my family, from my Uncle Dr. Maurice Hillemann to the Old West, even three hard to find Old West magazines. What would be the cost of sending such an edition to me? Thank you for your help.
Ellen K. Compton
5001 Pacific BV SW Apt 12
Albany OR 97321-8402
So what is the zip code for Miles City so I can send for your books? Of course, I could look that up but it would have been nice to include it.
Sincerely,
Ellen K. Compton
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17521) 13 years ago
MILES CITY HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
907B MAIN ST
MILES CITY MT 59301-3319

Contact the Miles City Star to inquire about ordering a copy of the special edition of the paper:

http://milescitystar.com/.../index.php

Telephone:
406-234-0450
1-800-323-6505
Posted by Jim Birkholz (+193) 13 years ago
"Without looking I'll guess Jim Birkholz and Bruce Winters."

There was a *Science club*?!?

I was too busy lining the darkroom walls with empty Dr. Pepper cans.

Bruce was too busy hand fabricating aluminum rockets to fire at the cows in the Pine Hills.

Science Club probably didn't exist after '74.
Posted by Samantha (+109) 13 years ago
for Amorette, do you have info on almost every old building or structure in Miles City?

I have this old thing in my back yard we use as a shed & I was told it was once a chinese laundry mat. not sure how believable that is for this area, but was curious how to find out if it's fact or fiction.
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+256) 13 years ago
When I was a student at CCHS in the 1960s we had what were called Chinese fire drills. Maybe this is the basis for them????
Posted by Shannon Miller (Locknane) (+8) 12 years ago
Amorette... Did you work for a time in Bozeman with your husband Steve at KMart?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 12 years ago
Yes, I did. Steve was in appliances and I was in jewelry those last years.