Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+474) 12 years ago
My husband just told me the government passed a 52.4% tax on all tobacco products. Doesn't bother me. I don't smoke. I'm interested in your opinion, though. Do you think this is discrimination?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 12 years ago
Aren't taxes like this aimed more at behavior modification than anything else?
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 12 years ago
It's not a tax, it's a "health maintenance fee."

Just ask Governor Timmy "The Mullet" Pawlenty (R), Minnesota, who didn't raise taxes (in his own mind).

Also.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 12 years ago
Richard Bonine, Jr wrote:

> Aren't taxes like this aimed more at behavior modification than anything else?

Yeah, it modifies me to purchase my cigarettes from Ukraine -- where the same brand costs $1 a pack, instead of the current $7 here.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3745) 12 years ago
I'd just head to Muckleshoot or Tulalip to get my cigs cheap.

Might turn a tidy profit with the slots too.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1284) 12 years ago
Screw the smokers let them pay, cigs should be $10.00 a pack at least. Foul weak willed morons that smoke should pay for all we can heap on them, that will teach them to be anti-social losers.

Larry, can you help me out with that Ukraine address?
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 12 years ago
That can't be legal
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 12 years ago
Probably about as legal as purchasing cigarettes from an American Indian reservation.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 12 years ago
Did anyone ever hear the ads for http://www.bigindian.com?

They advertised that they would ship lung darts anywhere in the U.S. from a reservation in the northeastern U.S.

Their motto: "Don't let the man keep you down."

I guess, since their site is down, "the man" kept them down.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1893) 12 years ago
Make your own. Check out this site..............
http://forums.mycotopia.n...ettes.html
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 12 years ago
Where's Smoker Man when you need him?
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+385) 12 years ago
My wife is a supervisor for the Smoker Friendly's on the West Slope of Colorado (and ironically is a Non smoker) and has been dreading April 1st for several months now because of this upcoming tax taking affect.

Cigs and chew will get another bump in their price but the biggest loser in this tax will be the "roll your own" tobacco users. The tax itself will equate to almost a 300% mark up from earlier prices. Bad for smokers and bad for her stores unfortuantly as they then have to pay the tax on all their stocked products. A sack of tobacco that was $25 will now be closer to $80.

Good for health, bad for business and the people employed by them. Smoker Friendly has already closed over a dozen stores around Denver, and parts of Nebraska and Wyoming.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+896) 12 years ago
...It's honestly not going to effect Montana as much as we think. We already have the highest amount of cig tax allowed. Go to Wyoming and purchase a pack of Marb Lights... they're still $4 or somthing...in Montana they're $6 or $7... Our tax isn't going to go up as much as states with a lesser tobbacco tax... and it's for a good cause...right?! Is the tax going to fun a national CHIP program?
Correct me if I am wrong in my theories...
Posted by Darcie Black Fast (+27) 12 years ago
I'm not sure about chips, but it also goes to Insure Montana, which is a program for help small business afford health insurance for their employees by giving insentives to the employer & employee. It's a great program that the company I work for it using. 500 businesses already use the program while the waiting list has more than 600 bussiness waiting for funding for the program.
Posted by Darcie Black Fast (+27) 12 years ago
March 2nd news letter from Insure Montana:
Insure Montana was funded @ the present level in the Governor's budget. A request to increase the funding to serve businesses on the program's waiting lists & increase the premuim incentive & assistance payments was presented to the Joint Appropriations Gerneral Government Subcommittee on January 15, 2009. The request also included adding another full time employee to conduct audits of the program's case files. @ that time the subcommittee approved the additional funding reuest of approximately $14,000,000 but did not approve the additional full time employee. The subcommittee met again on February 18, 2009 & reversed the earlier decision by denying the additional funding & approving the additional full time employee.
So, they decided to audit the current businesses, using the program, instead of finding funding for the other 600 businesses on the waiting list...tap out the taxing of ciggies!
Posted by tbrothers (+15) 12 years ago
I use to chew never did smoke.This tax is crazy where does it stop?Whats next Guns Ammo.When all the smokers stop where's the money going to come from that was generated by the smokers.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+896) 12 years ago
...the new tax applies to chew as well...
As long as it's going to a good cause. I understand that it's a tax and Obama won't raise taxes on the average guy so I assume it only affects rich people. I say screw the rich smokers they can afford it.
supporter
Posted by Jim Brady (+425) 12 years ago
Yeah Chuck. It's always for a "good cause". Usually from those who work to those who don't.

Here's a little synopsis of the Obama plan.

(Oh, by the way. You will be included)

Tax his land, tax his wage,
Tax his bed in which he lays.
Tax his tractor, tax his mule,
Teach him taxes is the rule.

Tax his cow, tax his goat,
Tax his pants, tax his coat.
Tax his ties, tax his shirts,
Tax his work, tax his dirt.

Tax his chew, tax his smoke,
Teach him taxes are no joke.
Tax his car, tax his grass,
Tax the roads he must pass.

Tax his food, tax his drink,
Tax him if he tries to think.
Tax his sodas, tax his beers,
If he cries, tax his tears.

Tax his bills, tax his gas,
Tax his notes, tax his cash.
Tax him good and let him know
That after taxes, he has no dough.

If he hollers, tax him more,
Tax him until he's good and sore.
Tax his coffin, tax his grave,
Tax the sod in which he lays.

Put these words upon his tomb,
"Taxes drove me to my doom!"
And when he's gone, we won't relax,
We'll still be after the inheritance tax.

Kudos to whoever wrote this.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 12 years ago
"Whats next Guns Ammo.When all the smokers stop where's the money going to come from that was generated by the smokers."

Maybe Bibles and prayer rugs?
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 12 years ago
Taxing tobacco is a real sneaky way to tax the poor.
Posted by michael naatjes (+1001) 12 years ago
I feel the tax should be shared by everyone. especially the drinkers, a tax on a alchohol products would benefit everyone and would decrease the unforgivable acts that intoxicated individuals unload on themselves and everyone else. Smokers don't cause vehicular homicides, wreck households, cause ruthless damage to themselves and everyone around them. A tax on alcohol would produce more money than the tabacco tax. Maybe just a plain sales tax on everyone would be the answer. OR, MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, CLOSING ALL OUR WELFARE PROGRAMS IS THE REAL ANSWER!!!!!!!! STOP THE FREE LOADING!!!!!!
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
Maybe Bibles and prayer rugs?

I am all for ending the tax-exempt status of churches, Richard. This is the best idea you have ever had. Kudos!
supporter
Posted by dcjdinmn (+332) 12 years ago
It's time for the rich to step up and be patriotic. It's time for the rich to smoke!
Jim,

I used to be confused about this whole situation just like you. Then I realized we needed the extra tax money to expand the CHIP program to included people who actually make enough to take their own children to the doctor but for some reason prefer not to. And to provide health insurance to children of illegal immigrants who had been left out (for some unexplained reason) of the CHIP program before now. So you see we will be able to make sure those children of illegal immigrants are healthy enough to attend California higher education at 70% less tuition than a Montana citizen from a family of Montana citizens would pay to attend the same out of state school.

Is it starting to make sense now? It becomes more clear to me each day and I have determined that, simply, the vast majority of the people running this country are just plain OUT OF THEIR F**KING MINDS.

So my advise to my fellow smokers is to just grin and bare it because it can only get worse.
Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+474) 12 years ago
Chuck, That was brilliantly written!