The Ice Jam Cometh ...
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2733) 12 years ago
And the Ice Jam goeth away!

The ice broke at around 4:00 today and the river is flowing fast and free now. Hip Hip Hooray!
Posted by ABE (+422) 12 years ago
I have heard stories about bombers being used to breakup ice around W.W.II is this an urban myth? If it was real are there pictures? That had to be one hell of a sight!!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11786) 12 years ago
Yup. Miles City was the only community in the continental U.S. to be bombed during WWII. A B-17 from Rapid City dropped 13 bombs from less than 3,000 feet. No pictures of the actual bombing but I have them of the flood. March of 1944. I've written a couple of articles about it.
Posted by Matt Schmitz (+403) 12 years ago
Thats to cool for words. I suddenly wish I was much older. Old enough to see that anyway. Bombers doing there thing, anywhere they do it, is just awesome. Obviously the end result can be horrific, but breaking the ice jam, thats just plain cool.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6043) 12 years ago
That certainly would have been a sight to be seen. I hate war, but I have always loved military equipment. I'm a big fan of any sort of aircraft - seeing bombers doing their thing in a non-violent fashion would be awesome.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1796) 12 years ago
This is what cracks me up about this website...someone calls attention to the ice bockage in the river breaking-up, and others manage to spin it into a discussion of war bombings. That sort-of thing seems to happen all the time here.
It's all a rich tapestry, Shu.
supporter
Exactly - an intricate cloth. Say one thing and other interesting things start to happen. That's why I don't understand the Thread Police.

A topic begins about an ice jam, then someone mentions a bomber, which leads to a discussion of military weapons, and suddenly you're talking about the evolution of threads... How'd THAT happen??? Who knows, but somewhere it ALL makes sense and is tied together. They're finally figuring that out on Wall Street and in Washington, DC. Which means Frank was right --It ALL is created and we ALL are bound together by a common fate predestined by an All Knowing, All Creating God. Now the thread is about religion and politics. Geez -- that's a first on MC.com!
The Thread Police, they live inside of my head (inside of my head)
The Thread Police, they come to me in my bed (me in my bed)
The Thread Police, they're coming to arrest me, oh no ...
Posted by teeny wells (+37) 12 years ago
for anyone interested, on an older blog about ice jams, i had contacted Fred South, who has pictures and articles about the ice jam of '44. the one they bombed. I recently e-mailed him and he said he would be glad to share again. his e-mail is

[email protected]
supporter
I believe I read Mr. South's account of the bombing of the Yellowstone in the Miles City Historic Preservation Office. Isn't he the man who located the captain of the B-17 that flew the mission? It's a fascinating account, made more so by the personal touches he included - childhood memories, notes between him and the Army Air Corps captain, etc. I was wondering if we were going to have to call that captain back into service just a few weeks ago - I've never seen so much ice!
Posted by ABE (+422) 12 years ago
I will have to find that book, sounds good. Oh My God now we are talking about books, is that allowed. Or will I end up in Gitmo for thread hijaking.
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+251) 12 years ago
Read today on the Internet that Bismark, ND, is considering using the state's National Guard to drop bombs on their current ice jam...No decision yet as far as I know.
supporter
I haven't heard anything about dropping bombs, so hopefully Miles City's particular claim to fame is not in jeopardy.

The folks in North Dakota did set explosive devices in the ice jam. Last report was that the water was flowing, but they won't know if it was successful until they see the water level in the morning. Keep your fingers crossed for them that it worked!
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+377) 12 years ago
A friend of mine from Terry said he watched explosives being dropped from a small airplane on an ice jam just downstream from the Terry pumping plant following that particularly horrible winter of 78-79.