Amorette's new book
Posted by Lee Akers (+266) 17 years ago
I hear Amorette has a book out. A compilation of her newspaper articles on MIles City's history. Way to go Amorette!
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3752) 17 years ago
Where and when can I get one?

Kyle
Posted by Brady Stone (+15) 17 years ago
Fantastic, how can we buy one?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 17 years ago
They are ten bucks a pop for the first 40 columns. Toss in an extra $1.50 if you want it mailed. Drop by the office tomorrow Sat. 12/18 for an open house and book signing or drop me a line at 907 B Main with checks made out to the Miles City Preservation Commission or MCPC for short. All profits from the book go to keeping the office open and since I just received the records of the Milwaukee Service Club, I need to keep paying the rent!

Amorette
founder
Posted by Johnnie Lockett Thomas (+402) 17 years ago
Cancel. Amorette and I saw the post at about the same time. She answered 3 minutes before I, so I'll see all of you at the open house.
JLT

[This message has been edited by Johnnie Lockett Thomas (edited 12/17/2004).]
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1512) 17 years ago
Set aside two autographed copies for me? Check will be in a box of tapes on the way Monday.
founder
supporter
Dave, skip the check. You deserve freebies for the tapes and the wonderful slide you sent. (BTW, I misidentified STANLEY Murrow but was in such a hurry to get the book out by Christmas, we let a few problems slide. But the picture is on the front cover.)

Now I have to go get ready. Should I wear the hat, do you think?

Amorette
founder
supporter
UPDATE: We had 100 copies printed up. I gave 10 to Joe to sell. I took 2 back and owe him for those and we have NONE left. Yikes. Monday morning, I will call Brad at the Star and have him whip some more up! We have paid for the first printing and will have heat and rent for a few months. Huzzah!

Amorette
founder
Posted by Johnnie Lockett Thomas (+402) 17 years ago
Amorette,
I just had an opportunity to scan the book. It's wonderful! The writing is not only informative, but lively and witty as well.

I found one item you might want to check out, however. According to my notes, the man who became known as the 'Sundance Kid' signed his letter to the Yellowstone Journal, "Harry Longabaugh."

Johnnie Lou
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+382) 17 years ago
Are there any copies currently available,and if so where?
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3752) 17 years ago
Amorette,

Do you think you might have some copies available after the Christmas Season? I think I might have to wait untill Santa brings by some X-mas $$$.

Kyle
founder
supporter
We have another 100, with some at the Star and at Joe's. I have the rest at the office and some will be at the Art Center after Christmas. (I wasn't in the office today. Tummy bug. Don't ask.) Yes, Mizz Lockett, whilst looking over the book, I found a number of mistakes missed in the hurry to get it out before Christmas and one of them was Mr. LongAbaugh's name.

Amorette
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+382) 17 years ago
I gave a copy to my parents and one to each of my sisters-now I need to buy one for myself! Kudos to the editor for what appears to be a great publication.
Posted by Mary Pat (Brady) Young (+96) 17 years ago
Amorette - If your book is still available, I would like to have a copy. Believe you said $10 plus $1.50 to mail. Is that correct? Should I send a check and if so, to whom? Let me know.
I sent a story about it to the Associated Press. Nothing. I suspect that if it had been about Missoula (genuflect,genuflect) it would have gotten on.

After all, there is no life east of Bozeman, except for Billings, and that's only a rumor.

Augh! I've been fighting the system too long.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 17 years ago
Would it help if the press release came from a "blue state"?

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 12/27/2004).]
Probably
founder
supporter
Believe me, no one outside of Miles City cares about the book. Definitely no one in Helena, say. Did you know Montana was a round state? You put a pin in Helena and with a string, draw a circle on the map with a hundred miles radius. THAT'S Montana. Anything that falls outside the ring is western Dakota or northern Wyoming or southern Alberta.

Anyway, checks can be made out to either the Miles City Preservation Commission or MCPC for short. $10.00 per book plus $2.00 shipping and handling or $12.00 per book. Thank you.

Amorette
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17732) 17 years ago
>>no one outside of Miles City cares about the book. Definitely no one in Helena, say.

Ah-ah-ah-ah-hemmm. I will have you know that there are several Miles City expatriates who live in the Queen City of the Rockies, and I know of at least one of them (yours truly) who has a deep abiding interest in history.

I am deeply offended by the Helena bashing, Amorette. I believe I will e-mail my good buddy Gov-elect Schweitzer, and try to convince him to slash some historic preservation funding and transfer those monies to the schools.
founder
supporter
Let me rephrase that.

People in Helena with Miles City connections might be interested in the book. Generally, however, the gov't types in Helena can't find eastern Montana on a map. When they had the last state history conference, the directions on how to get to the meeting included leaving from Helena, Great Falls, Bozeman and Missoula. NO PLACE ELSE.

Sigh.

Sold a few more books today and got brave and ordered another 100!

Amorette
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1512) 17 years ago
After a series of unfortunate events (a long story, but I can tell you that bubble-jet ink *DOES* conduct electricity ) I finally have covers printed for ten "DangerLights" tapes and should have them on the way Monday, 1/3.

Am also including in the box a "demo" DVD-R of "DangerLights" with "A Railroad at Work" (a Milwaukee infomercial/propaganda film from the early 50s. Really kinda interesting.) I used a scan of the coming attractions slide that I just couldn't live without as the menu on the DVD.

I've learned that DVD-Rs are supposed to be the most widely playable burned DVDs (93+% of DVD players will play them). Also learned more than I ever wanted to know about VOBs and bit-rates and Fat32 choking at 4GB and even if you get Win98 to spin an NTFS drive (a feat in itself) it doesn't matter 'cause Win98 chokes at 4GB too!

Also talked my wife into letting me buy a third 'puter for movie stuff becuse it's cheaper to buy one instead of build it and it'll come with WinXP on it and I won't care about 4GB limits anymore--and I can keep eBaying whilst DVDs are burning that way too

DVD disc printer and printable DVD-Rs are on the way, so with luck Amorette should have relatively professional looking DVD-Rs for sale with the next tape shipment after this one.
founder
supporter
Oooo....stuff arrived. I sent out three books. Since you contributed the cover photo, you get a freebie. I'd give you them all free in exchange for the tapes but you're such a noble guy!

Bit chilly hereabouts but still sold a couple of books today. One was replacement for a book a dog ate. Okay. . .

Amorette
founder
supporter
Posted by Jack McRae (+355) 17 years ago
Come on Amorette, don't be so hard on the dog. Cold weather like this a dog can not live on homework alone.
Posted by Betty O'Brien (+120) 17 years ago
I received Amorette's book today and so enjoyed skimming through it and will go back and read it more completely when I have more time. It is very interesting to me as in the early 1950's I worked at Miles & Ulmer's and had the opportunity to type up some, if not all, of Wallace Ulmer's history of his family and the beginning of the Miles & Ulmer's store. It was just like a good history lesson for me, especially about when Calamity Jane would come into the store, etc. I wasn't able to keep a copy for myself as in those days no copiers were to readily available so would have had to use carbon paper or re-type the whole thing. Thanks again Amorette - you did a great job!
Betty Carter O'Brien
founder
Posted by JEANNE M BOLE (+39) 17 years ago
dear ammorette,
i am sorry it took so long for me to react to your book but right
after christmas the old flu bug hit.
i am really enjoying it and love the old pictures. i can't wait
till the next one.
thanks again,
jeanne bole
founder
supporter
Glad you liked it! Third printing of 100 will be done early next week so it will be available at the Custer County Art Center and Riggs and the Star as well as from me. I have 25 left but they are going fast.

BITTERLY COLD today. I thought I could work quietly at the office with no one in their right mind going out in such weather.

Guess what? Folks in Miles City aren't in their right minds. Bet that surprises no one.

Amorette