Still gloomy
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 12 years ago
Eeyore has nothing on me. Going into my third week of an annoying cold with scratchy throat and the high today was 10 degrees. With that dusty, depressing snow. Ugh. Tomorrow is more of the same.

Yeah, yeah, I live in Montana. We are a good two months away from actual "spring," in that season we call "still winter"* But I am SICK OF IT. Cough. Sniffle. Time for tea, a warm blanket and a book.

*the four seasons in Montana are "almost winter," "winter," "still winter," and "company."
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+896) 12 years ago
...you forgot about road construction season...
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 12 years ago
Amorette, you need a good dose of whiskey in that tea.
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+249) 12 years ago
Hang in there. You have winter, hard winter, harder winter, and a spring that often extends for four months. Here in Texas we have a hot spring, summer, hot summer, and a winter that lasts for maybe one month. We are hoping now to be in our low cost energy season...we will see. Understand that although it was 83 today in the Houston, TX, area, highs in the 60s are expected Thursday and for several days afterwards.

GReat news for those of us with some fixed income (my hubby) as our energy costs should be lower.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 12 years ago
If it makes you feel better, the forecast looks like we have a couple days of this but the weekend will be back to spring and next week should be even warmer.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 12 years ago
Sheesh Levi, you're up early - get some sleep

I thought I was the only one (besides Brian R.) working at odd hours...
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
Vacation week for me now ... I have no idea when I am supposed to sleep.
founder
supporter
Still have a cold. Still cold here. Alcohol is a depressant so its out. Haven't got a night free all week.

On the upside. . . . . . no mountain lions in the back yard.
On the upside. . . . . . no mountain lions in the back yard.

So the moat, razor ribbon and mob o' hired goons with blunderbusses did the trick, eh?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 12 years ago
Alcohol is a depressant so its out.

One of the biggest myths of all time. Drinking only makes me happy.

And when I have a cold.....there is nothing, absolutely nothing, better than a bourbon on the rocks. It does nothing but makes me feel better, and if I drink too much and wake up the next day with a hangover, who cares? I'm sick anyways.

Thank God for this cold snap, as I hope to drive to THE BIG LAKE for some fine season ending ice fishing this weekend.
founder
supporter
Drinking puts me to sleep. I was a cheap date. I still can't manage more than a glass of wine with dinner before snoring. A shot of Nyquil (registered trademark) and I'm gone.

I did manage to get through a program on Victorian costuming tonight without hacking up a lung so I must be getting better! I do love showing folks my underwear
A girl I used to date in college turned me on to the Greatest Flu Remedy Ever. She may have been a raging alcoholic, but it worked.

It consists of:

One 44-ounce cup (Super Big Gulp container)
One bottle of Nyquil
Half a bottle of vodka
Remaining space worth of OJ

The biggest and most potent screwdriver of all time (you have to slam it after you chug half the bottle of Nyquil, or as much of it as you can stomach) resulted in me sleeping for 36 hours straight and feeling capital (Curly Bill Brosius in Tombstone style) when I eventually woke up.
supporter
Uh, Brian. You realize that it's a miracle that you did wake up.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1893) 12 years ago
I think she was tying to get rid of you, Brian. Permanent-like.
It wouldn't be the first time, Bob and Wendy. It probably won't be the last.

It is because I survived that I now realize that I am impervious to all conventional weaponry.

She tried to kill me
With a concoction most vile
Ha! I'm still standing
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 12 years ago
Sheesh Levi, you're up early - get some sleep smile

It's calving season
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 12 years ago
>>It's calving season

Ah . . . that explains the nasty weather.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 12 years ago
Sheesh Levi, you're up early - get some sleep smile

It's calving season

----

I hear you. It's the business equivalent of calving season for me, too...found a couch in the basement storage area and slept there last Friday night...but you don't need to hear about my problems...
Posted by JAGB (+110) 12 years ago
Amorette if it makes you feel any better Iam into my 5th week,
6 days of missed work, 3 trips to the doc and still coughing so you hang in there !!!!!!
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1437) 12 years ago
It's been bad here in Des Moines, too.
I was looking at a flu-outbreak map on CNN Health... it looked like a political map - red States with flu and blue States with cold.

We've had it go round and round here in our house. One of us got extremely ill for 2 weeks straight.

I read something about having reached the peak of flu season (for this year) about two weeks ago and that this years' strain appears to be very resistant.

Throw in some wild weather and it pretty much makes for misery. Good luck - feel better soon.
founder
supporter
That Nyquil cocktail of Brian's would KILL me. Then again, if I were dead, no coughing!!!!!

It hasn't been a bad year for serious, killer influenza but boy, the minor stuff is miserable enough.
supporter
I credit my Montanan genes for my lack of colds the past few winters. Of course, it could also be that I wash my hands about 15 times a day and never touch (public) doorknobs without a physical barrier. Oh, and lots and lots of Zicam.

Oh my God. I sound like a nutter. But a healthy nutter!