Posted by Kacey (+3151) 11 years ago
I'm sure many remember Kosty's Curiosity Shop out at the old Plaza. Or you may have been friends with Mark or MaryAnn. I remember Mrs. Kosty from church. She was always smiling and happy. We spent a lot of time together as I grew up and she taught Sunday School. Then she went on to host youth groups at her home. Another light from Miles City has gone out. My sympathies to her family.

From the Miles City Star:

Thelma Elizabeth Spear Kosty
Thelma Elizabeth Spear Kosty, 82, of Sun City West, Ariz., formerly of Miles City, died Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2009, in Sun City West
Her life was always bursting with energy and belief in possibilities.
She married Ernest Kosty and together they created a family, built a business and were life-long partners on this journey of life.
With his death in 1992, she continued to spend summers in Montana and winters in Arizona until two years ago when she moved to Arizona full time.
Mrs. Kosty could converse with anybody about almost anything. She met friends no matter where life took her, if they were only in her life for an hour, a day, or a lifetime. People were drawn to her ready smile and her big and generous spirit.
She lived her faith every day and it was in that faith that she drew her strength. Mrs. Kosty was an amazing grandmother and all her grandchildren have special memories about pancake snowmen, slumber parties, cheering at their games, playing games and cards, and having her there when she was needed without a moment's hesitation.
She will be remembered for her willingness to `pitch-in' no matter what the challenge or task. There was always a tug toward adventure in everything she did. Her ability to laugh at all life's humorous and difficult times helped her get through many trying experiences. Her advice was to laugh every day.
Mrs. Kosty enjoyed her church, her friends in Miles City and Sun City West. She taught Sunday School at First Lutheran Church in Miles City for 25 years. She worked in The Lord of Life Thrift Shop for her church in Sun City West where 100 percent of the money is given to charity. She was past president of The Range Riders Reps in Miles City and enjoyed being an active member of that group.
She was preceded in death by her parents, Ed Spear and Ann Spear Cray; her dearly loved son, Mark Ernest Kosty; and an infant granddaughter.
Her survivors include her daughter and husband, Lizz and Aditya Pamulapati and their children: Marilu Pamulapati, Sandy Pamulapati, Kris Pamulapati and Kamie Pamulapati and a great-grandson, Mason; has son Mark's son, Shawn Kosty and granddaughters, Melissa Mathers and her husband, James, and their two sons, Christian and James, and Brianna and Caitlyn Kosty; her brother, Ober Spear, his son and wife, Carey and Loretta Spear, and numerous nephews and nieces; and her "adopted" granddaughter, Emily Rice, the entire Rice family and her best friends, Fran Frey, Lee Swenson and her sister-in-law, Emma Zawada.
A celebration of Mrs. Kosty's life will be held at First Lutheran Church in July with the date to be determined later.
Should friends desire, memorials should be given to First Lutheran Church.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1661) 11 years ago
Kosty's Curiousity Shop...<SIGH>

I loved that place when I was a kid...used to walk over there now and then to look around...I was particularly fond of the "Grab Bags": you could spend a buck or 2 and get surprises in a paper bag such as fake vomit and noise makers.

Most of the time I went in there, I didn't have any money, but Ms. Kosty always welcomed me whether I spent or not, and cheerfully showed me any new stuff she had gotten-in...she was a very nice lady.

Some of the stuff I DID buy from her when I had the money included: masks, grease paints, spirit gum and fake moustaches for Halloween, disappearing ink and a shocking lighter to pull gags on my friends, a Chinese yo-yo and wind-up "chattering teeth" just to have fun with, and on-and-on....fun items and good times!

Rest in peace, Ms. Kosty...and thank you for putting-up with a little loiterer like me.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1430) 11 years ago
Well that's sad. Thanks for posting the info - I've thought about the Kosty's at times and wondered how they were and where.

Is there a link to the AZ newspaper listing? I can't seem to find a reliable online version of that paper.

I got my first (yes, I've had several) fake barfs from the Curiosity Shop. This was back when fake barf was the good stuff... chunks of foam and swirls of colored latex - no two alike - works of art.

Oh, and a great whoopie cusion, turd-bird, and pet rock (yes, I had a pet rock) and some of the best flying kites ever made. Oh, and let's not forget the mixed nut can of snakes! A masterpiece!

I think I even came across a piece of this little dipping-bird toy that tips back and forth taking sips from a cup of water. Got that from the Kosty's too.

Yah, I'm with shu... I always loved going in and was always made to feel welcome. Kids could be annoying in a store like that, I'm sure, but it never showed - she always kept it magical.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9865) 11 years ago
I was a girl. I bought earrings. Still don't own fake barf but my husband whips up ballistic gel for fake cadavers so I guess that's close.

For a kid, it was paradise, even if I was looking at the cheap jewelry and not the boy stuff.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1430) 11 years ago
That's cute how you assume fake barf is only for boys
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 11 years ago
I bought fake barf from Kosty's. Ah, the memories.
Posted by Kacey (+3151) 8 years ago
For those of my friends and classmates, I was recently informed that all of the Kosty's are now gone. Mark Kosty had died in a car wreck in 2000. His sister Lizz or Maryann as you may have known her has recently passed.
Posted by cyndie (+344) 8 years ago
What happened to Maryann? Thelma and my mom were dear friends.
I do not know.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14186) 8 years ago
Very sad. I was unaware that Mark had passed away. I was always a little mad at him because he beat me to asking a girl out to the prom. Guess I better let that "grudge" go.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (2/25/2012)]
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1415) 8 years ago
What girl was that? I'm trying to remember who Mark went to the prom with...

FH
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14186) 8 years ago
Laura Brewer
Posted by Vikki Bohlman (+5) 8 years ago
Ernie & Thelma's kids maybe gone, but not their grandkids. And there are Victor Kosty's kids and grandkids. So not ALL the Kosty's are gone.
Let me rephrase then...The original Ernest Kosty Family, Ernie, Thelma, Maryann and Mark are all gone now. As I don't know the grandkids those four are the Kosty family to me. I miss them all.
Posted by sdg (+43) 8 years ago
Elizabeth "Lizz" Pamulapati (Maryann Elizabeth Kosty), 60, formerly of Miles City, died Friday, Feb. 17, 2012, in Sun City West, Ariz., following a brief illness.
Mrs. Pamulapati was born Dec. 15, 1951, in Livingston and was adopted by Ernest and Thelma Kosty. She was a graduate of Custer County High School in Miles City and earned a master's degree in special education at Montana State University-Billings.
She devoted her life, both personally and professionally, to supporting, celebrating and nurturing children in all capacities, which led her to adopt her children, Marilu and Sandy, when she was just a young, single woman.
She especially enjoyed her time as a Youth Director at First Lutheran Church in Miles City and her many years as a special education teacher.
Although she always joked she was a gypsy due to numerous moves, all she ever really needed to feel at home was her husband.
She is survived by her husband of 28 years, Aditya Pamulapati, and her four children: Marilu, Sandy, Kris, and Kamie, as well as a cherished grandchild, Mason Ollila (son of Sandy and Kris Ollila), numerous nieces and nephews and her biological family, which includes Rick Heckel with whom she had a special bond.
She was preceded in death by her parents, Ernest and Thelma Kosty; her brother, Mark Kosty; and an infant niece, Morgan Kosty.
A funeral service will be Saturday, March 3, 2012, at 10 a.m. in the First Lutheran Church in Miles City.
Should friends desire, memorials may be given to the First Lutheran Church.