Posted by Kathy Meidinger (+27) 12 years ago
Does anyone have pictures of the ice going out of the yellowstone today???
Posted by Tanna Bloxom Martin (+21) 12 years ago
Wow! I sure do miss watching that. As a kid we use to go down there all the time.
supporter
Posted by Sara Erlenbusch (+175) 12 years ago
Pics of the Yellowstone...if I did this right.

supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 12 years ago
Beautiful filthy ice - it's a full winter's dookie on it's way to where? Glendive
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2733) 12 years ago
Thanks Sara. Great photos!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9960) 12 years ago
Thanks for sharing the photos.
Posted by Matt Schmitz (+403) 12 years ago
Thats pretty funny, but the headwaters of the Yellowstone are not located at Miles City. They do make "dookie" in Billings, and Hysham, and Forsyth, all upstream from Miles City. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's true.
Posted by Kathy Meidinger (+27) 12 years ago
Thanks Sara!
supporter
Posted by JCF (+395) 12 years ago
very cool photos.
supporter
Posted by VictoriaLynn (+284) 12 years ago
Super photos!
supporter
Would someone be so kind as to tell me how to put some photos of the ice I took today. Thanks!
supporter
?
supporter
?
supporter
I figured out how to post photos but I would like to enlarge. I tried one format but it isn't as large as I would like. Any ideas? Thanks!
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6068) 12 years ago
Get closer to the object you're taking pictures of.
supporter
My photos were huge and clear. I downloaded on Flicker (or whatever) but when I posted them here, they were not large. Oh well, I will quit taking space up here. Sorry.
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 12 years ago
Thanks for the photo and all the effort. Ignore those who are less than helpful.

I have been using photobucket for photos. It works well too. Your photos are big enough for on here. If you want to enlarge them for your own use go into your photo software and enlarge it.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1882) 12 years ago
Victoria - Where is the location of that last picture? I'm guessing at the boat ramp on the north side, just east of the airport bridge. I can't remember the name of the fishing access site. Great picture!
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 12 years ago
Victoria,

On Flickr, above your picture, there should be a link that says "all sizes". You can click there and get bigger versions of your picture. You won't be able to get them too big here though, since the board automatically shrinks pictures to fit in the frame (600 pixels max I believe).
Victoria and Kacey -

My joke was just that - a joke. There's no need to take it any other way. If it fell flat or was misinterpreted for something other than what I intended it to be, I apologize.

I like Victoria's pictures and I am very glad that she has shared them with us. I don't believe that I have done anything to indicate otherwise.

Post away, Victoria! Your pictures are very nice.
supporter
Hey thanks everyone! The photo was taken at the boat ramp. I told those kids that if their moms knew they were doing that, they'd be in trouble, ha! Next thing I knew, my husband was doing the same (but not as far out).
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+928) 12 years ago
I'll never forget taking pictures for the Star years ago -- mid to late 70s -- of the ice going out. Chunks were heaving up into the air and smashing into the 7th Street bridge pillars. I was on the bridge and began thinking, "Hmmm, maybe not the smarted place to be." So, I moved across the bridge onto the north side of the river. Not a whole lot smarter.
Posted by hallick (+123) 12 years ago

Miles City, Mt. 2009
supporter
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1882) 12 years ago
Fantastic pictures Victoria and Hallick. Back in the 70s I remember a kid out by the Pumping Plant hanging from a tree out over the ice. The grinding of the ice was almost deafening. That punk would've been ground to hamburger if he'd fallen in.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/U...index.html

Here's just another example of why dikes are our friends. Trippy stuff.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 12 years ago
Wow, that is some serious ice in those last pics Victoria.
Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+476) 12 years ago
Thank you for posting these! I walked to the Yellowstone river almost every day when I was a kid. I considered it "my river". It brings back wonderful memories of my childhood.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2733) 12 years ago
First thing I did when I arrived home was walked along the dike road and marveled at the ice bergs that are jutting up into the air. It's an amazing sight!