The legend Paul Harvey...
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1276) 11 years ago
CNN reports that Paul Harvey had died at age 91. A real piece of broadcasting history is gone. I grew up listening to him on my noon rides home with my father and playing his programs as a radio broadcaster. It is a sad day.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1884) 11 years ago
Only 91!? Perhaps he died laughing after reading Kyles "2012 Conservative Picks".
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1658) 11 years ago
Sad day, indeed...like Cory, I also aired his programs on a couple stations I worked at and grew-up listening to him, as well.

He did one on-air piece, in-particular, that stood-out to me: He usually did this at Easter, I believe. It was the one about the preacher who stood before his congregation with an empty bird cage and compared birds that had been trapped in the cage to people Jesus had saved by his death...it was awesome how he told that one.

Then there's this one:

PAUL HARVEY WRITES
HIS GRANDCHILDREN
"We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them worse.

For my grandchildren, I'd like better. I'd really like them to know about hand me down clothes and homemade ice cream and leftover meat loaf sandwiches. I really would. I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by being cheated. I hope you learn to make your own bed and mow the lawn and wash the car. And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen. It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and your old dog put to sleep.

I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in, I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother. And it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the room, but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he's scared, I hope you let him. I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you live in a town where you can do it safely.

On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't ask your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as uncool as your Mom. If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one. I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books. When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head.

I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush on a girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory soap tastes like. May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a stove, and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole. I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it. And if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend. I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your Grandpa and go fishing with your Uncle.

May you feel sorrow at a funeral and joy during the holidays. I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball through your neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at Christmas time when you give her a plaster mold of your hand. These things I wish for you - tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness. To me, it's the only way to appreciate life.

Written with a pen. Sealed with a kiss. I'm here for you. And if I die before you do, I'll go to heaven and wait for you. Send this to all of your friends. We secure our friends, not by accepting favors, but by doing them."

Paul Harvey

RIP Mr. Harvey - you've had quite a life. Here's to you.
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+930) 11 years ago
Paul Harvey . . . Good Day!
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6018) 11 years ago
I'll miss his voice and familiarity. I won't miss his personal political leanings or advertisements that he often passed off as "news."

91 years is a good, long life. We should all be so lucky.
Posted by RA (+652) 11 years ago
Now for the Rest of the Story. . .
Posted by Frank E. Ross (+60) 11 years ago
I hate to throw a cup of cold watet (reality) on those who have harbor such warm, nostalgic memories of Old Paul. But please know that Harvey was not a reporter or a journalist. He was only a reader who sat in front of a microphone and read from a script that had been written by his wife. Sorry rubes, but those are the facts.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1276) 11 years ago
And so..... does that mean that he was not a great broadcaster? Did not have a great voice? Hadn't been in radio for 50 or 60 however many years?

Maybe you didn't agree with his views, commentary, program... and you're entitled to that view.

As a broadcaster, I looked up to that kind of career. I enjoyed his program, and it has been part of my life from my first memories of listening to radio.

I submit to you the following article on CNN regarding "his wife writing his articles". I believe your view is not correct.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/S...index.html
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14442) 11 years ago
Well, Frank, he had a great delivery if nothing else.

Reminds me of:

Q: Why does Paul Harvey envy sweet potatoes?

A: Because he's just a commentator.
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1229) 11 years ago
Way to go Frank. The man is not even buried as yet and the nutjobs are already out dissing him. Whatever the case, you even have to admit he was damn good at what he did. Ever hear, "speak not ill will of the dead" Ike
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9347) 11 years ago
I hadn't listened to him for many years - but back when I did I always thought well of him for making it clear that his broadcast was "news & commentary." Unlike many in the entertainment/news industry today who try to pass opinion off as fact / commentary as news, he was upfront about being a commentator.
Posted by Frank E. Ross (+60) 11 years ago
Ike. In regard to your comment, "Speak not ill will of the dead" does that also hold to A. Hitler, Tojo and Bill Clinton? (though Bill isn't dead yet).

I like the motto "Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may". Too damn much B. S. in this world already!

Best regards,
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3749) 11 years ago
I never really cared al that much for Paul Harvey. I thought he was kind of boring to tell the truth but I recognize his contributions to radio and American culture and can see that he will be missed greatly by a lot of people.
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+253) 11 years ago
The first time I heard Paul Harvey was on KATL in the 1960s. The last time was last week on KTRH in Houston, TX. Pretty amazing history in any broadcast field. Rest in Peace.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3716) 11 years ago
I don't like the motto "Never miss an opportunity to act like a jackass". Bad advice IMO.

Paul Harvey's death was the end of a very long era. How many people have a show that stays on the air for 58 years? Not very many. In fact I can't think of another one, but he had 2. Quite an accomplishment. He was also pulling in $10 million a year on his last contract. How many celebrities would like to see that kind of cash? Definitely going to miss hearing that voice on the radio at noon every day.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4455) 11 years ago
It's another one of those things that was there for so long, it never occurred to you that it would end.

Like my wife was just talking about a couple days ago, those little things that go back to your childhood hold a lot more significance than you think.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3749) 11 years ago
He kind of looks like Don Imus.

supporter
Posted by Shu (+1658) 11 years ago
Imus?...no, I see no resemblance. I also do not know of any instances in which Paul Harvey referred to members of a women's college basketball team as "nappy-headed ho's" and got fired for it, unlike Imus.
I didn't agree with some of his commentary and some of "The Rest of the Story" sounded like BS, but I always liked listening to him. A story in today's Missoulian noted that he once worked for a Missoula radio station but got canned. Go figure.
Today the Missoulian noted that he'd worked for a local radio station but was canned. He had no hard feelings for the station that fired him.

http://www.missoulian.com...news03.txt
Here's a link (I tried to edit my last post but couldn't)

http://www.missoulian.com...news03.txt
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6018) 11 years ago
I also do not know of any instances in which Paul Harvey referred to members of a women's college basketball team as "nappy-headed ho's"

That's only because you haven't heard "Paul Harvey: Live and Uncut" from back in the day (circa 1984).

He's the white Dolomite.