New Features, Updates and Fixes
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10013) 13 years ago
I'll post a running log of bug fixes and new additions to this thread.

Please DO NOT post bug reports or feature requests here. Use one of the following links for those purposes instead.

Bug Reports: http://www.milescity.com/...fpid=74361

Feature Requests: http://www.milescity.com/...fpid=74362
admin
founder
NEW: You can modify the subject of a topic when replying or editing a post.

FIX: You can now include the @ symbol in a URL. Flickr sometimes requires them and it wasn't previously possible to link to those locations.

FIX: After upgrading last night, I noticed this morning the reply count on active topics since then was +1 too high. Resolved.
admin
founder
FIX: Found an irritating little bug that would cause problems when editing or replying to a forum post that included a double quote character ( " ) in the subject. Should be fixed.
admin
founder
FIX: You can send private e-mail to each other again. More work to be done in this area, but it should be functioning properly -- actually better than before.

FIX: "Find posts from the last" X number of days/weeks/months should be working again on the main Discussion Forums page.
admin
founder
UPDATE: Okay, we'll see how this goes again. You can (for now) create a new account, or change your existing account, to use a free e-mail address at either hotmail.com, gmail.com, yahoo.com or live.com. If problems result then the domains will get blacklisted again.
admin
founder
UPDATE: New sunrise / sunset icon on the front page. Woo.

UPDATE: If you haven't noticed, there's a new tabbar at the top of the site (it looks the same). The tabs have been reordered. The new code allows me to add and remove tabs and change the order at will. This was not possible before. Also the tabs now have tooltips, for whatever that is worth. Another tab or two will show up in the future.

NOTE: Not all areas of the site have been updated to recognize the new tabbar. I'm still working through the pages.

UPDATE: The breadcrumb description in page titles has been reversed. For example, "milescity.com: forums: general discussion" is now "General Discussion: Forums: MilesCity.com".

NOTE: Not all areas of the site have been updated. I'm still working through the pages.

NEW: Official NOAA observation data now appears on the weather page. Woo.
admin
founder
NEW: A search feature for the Discussion Forums has been added. It will scour message text (not subject titles or usernames). If you feel the urge to try it out: http://www.milescity.com/search/
admin
founder
FIX: When sending private e-mail to another user, the resulting plain text message would contain "<br>" instead of a carriage return and new line. Resolved.
admin
founder
NEW: RSS Feeds for the Discussion Forums. The little orange icon at the top right corner of the web site will lead to a page with the links for each feed, or you can just go here: http://www.milescity.com/rss/

I tested using Outlook 2007, FeedDemon 2.7 and Google Reader ... and everything appears to pretty much work okay. If not, let me know.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6113) 13 years ago
Regarding the new American flags that show the location of posters:

Shouldn't mine be burning, being as I'm an America-hating Liberal?

I'm kidding because
I care - If I didn't, I'd
Say nothing at all

In all seriousness, I enjoy the addition. It's just another of the very cool additions to this site. Thanks, Larry!
admin
founder
NEW: Messages are now decorated with an icon representing the country each post was made from, followed by the "region". (In America, the region is an abbreviation of a state.)

If someone posts from another country, and you do not recognize the flag, you can identify it by holding your mouse pointer over the icon - and a tooltip will appear showing the full name of the nation.

For example, the posts created by the ladies from Poland can be found in this thread:

http://www.milescity.com/...fpid=21160

As you can see, the flag icon indicates they did indeed post from Poland.

One last note, the IP address associated with each post was not recorded before July 31, 2004. As such, any post made prior to then will not display any location.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+889) 13 years ago
...Sorry Webmaster sir...but, when I post, it shows I'm in Wyoming... but definately not in Wyoming... Just wondering why that may be?!
admin
founder
> ...Sorry Webmaster sir...but, when I post, it shows I'm in Wyoming... but definately not in Wyoming... Just wondering why that may be?!

Is your ISP WildBlue? It appears your IP address frequently gets dished out from WY (although, I also see it occasionally gets dished out from MT as well.)

There's really nothing that can be done, except to point out that the region information is not 100% accurate, or if it becomes irritating enough I can remove it from the posts.

The database is updated monthly, so perhaps it will get smarter.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+889) 13 years ago
...That makes sense, my internet it satellite. Thank you for the answers!