Posted by kimee (+44) 13 years ago
My family plan on going to the Airport Inn for dinner. Can you tell me how the food is? It has been ages since I have been there. Thanks
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 13 years ago
Expensive for the portions.

However, the finger steaks are still great.
Posted by Kacey (+3153) 13 years ago
The food is still the same. It has not changed. I miss the round tables and barrel chairs and fireplaces though.
Posted by KC65 (+13) 13 years ago
God I miss the Airport inn. Great Pizza and finger steaks.
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+889) 13 years ago
The food has not changed a bit... still wonderful fingersteaks and pizza!!!!! But, the prices definately have. I think it's almost $30 for a family fingersteak...
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 13 years ago
/tangent/

I may have asked this in the past but does anybody have any photos of the old Airport Inn - inside or outside?

/returning to subject/
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1290) 13 years ago
Are you kidding me it's the best at any price and/or portion. I have two or three meals there every time I'm in town. Wayne, Peggy, Martha and the rest of the gang have keep the food consistantly good all these years. A trip to MC without the Airport Inn is not worth takeing.

After all these weeks finally something I'm passioate enough to post about.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1343) 13 years ago
If my butt isn't in a seat at the Airport Inn within 12 hours of arriving in town then something is wrong.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+509) 13 years ago
Yep, even the wifey who isn't a local asks for it. As far as portions go, great value if you ask me. Also, where else can you get a pitcher of Amber Bock for $5? Great establishment and one of the few remaining treasures in MC.
Posted by Schmitz - Matt (+407) 13 years ago
I like to think I could be a millionaire with that finger steak breading recipe in my hands. And I don't remember the last time I made a pizza with no fennel on it. One of their lovely little touches on the pizza. I too refuse to visit MC without a trip up the hill. Or several.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1886) 13 years ago
The Airport Inn is one of those things that makes Miles City Miles City.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6113) 13 years ago
The food is awesome.

The atmosphere is awesome.

The employees are awesome.

The utensils ... not so awesome.

Still, three out of four Awesomes are ... awesome!
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+379) 13 years ago
Wow! Good job all. My first thought when I saw this thread was, "oh crap it burned down again." Thankfully that's not the case.
My second thought was, "someone is going to dog my favorite place to eat in Miles City and I'll have to berate them for it." That wasn't the case either!

I too have made it a point to be a loyal follower of the Airport Inn crowd and do so whenever I get back to Miles. Great food and great family atmosphere. I just wonder how many generations from the same family have passed through those doors. I know mine started with my great grandmother and is going strong. I do miss the old barrel chairs and fireplaces though. The "new" Airport Inn was definatly a "change" to the ways of old, but still great.
I try to sit by the windows so I have the same view at least. I would love a photo of the inside if anyone has one. I do have photos of it the day it was burning.
Posted by DEAN (+90) 13 years ago
when did it burn ? I left miles city in 1975 and have only been back a half dozen times but I always make it up the hill to the inn.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3708) 13 years ago
?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11885) 13 years ago
During the late 80's, I think. They have photos of the fire coverage up on the wall. Only thing that survived was the wood for the fireplace. Folks went to great effort to help them acquire things like the Hamm's Beer sign so they could recreate the original ambience. Gene Larson did drawings of the original, barrel vaulted building, for those of you with fading memories. It was the Beer Jug or something before it became the Airport Inn, back in the sixties.
Posted by Amber (+216) 13 years ago
used to be my favorite for pizza but has gon downhill over the past few months. The rest of the food is still good if your into the deep fat fried goodness
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17407) 13 years ago
I don't recall the exact year the Airport Inn burned down but I believe it was in the 90's -- possibly around the mid-90's.

I think the Hamm's beer sign was out in storage when the fire happened and that's why it's still around.

- Dave
Posted by MollieP (+129) 13 years ago
Here's telling my age, but I do know it burned while I was in high school. 92-96 It is still a great place, I think everyone misses the barrell chairs!
Posted by Joshua Austill (+90) 13 years ago
I LOVE their finger steaks, but does anyone know if they except debit cards yet? I don't carry cash, or have in-town checks, so I never get to go there, sadly enough .
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1290) 13 years ago
Your Mom won't let you? Piss poor excuse to miss a large combo pizza.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6170) 13 years ago
We were there at Christmas and they still don't take cards. They take my out of town checks but maybe I'm special.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2734) 13 years ago
I'd agree with "special" but I don't think my euphemism is what you are thinking.

PS If Wendy is "special" then I'm downright looney.

[This message has been edited by Kelly (edited 2/26/2009).]
Posted by Bruce Wilson (+45) 13 years ago
My first memory of the Airport Inn was in 1962 or 1963. (At that time it was called the "Beer Jug" My good buddy Mark Browning and I were dragging main with buddies Cookie Meidinger, and Ginny Sloan, when some one said, " Hey they have Pizza at the Beer Jug! I replied, " What the hell is Pizza?
Well we had to go try out this "Pizza thing"
I burnt my mouth on the first bite.... The Pizza was great!
Fast foward to 1966... Bob Meidinger and I was enjoying a family order of finger steaks, and a pitcher of ice cold beer when Tom Petigrew came over to talk to us. Oh oh busted, (we were only 20 years old) Damn it turned out ok after all. He said, "Guys, I'm looking for help, would you like a job? Whew... saved by the bell!

Years and years later,(like late 90's) I came "home" for the Bucking Horse sale, and as so many, first stop, Airport Inn.
I asked Peggy, "Can you dim the lights a little?" NO! A little later, "Peggy, "Can you turn on some music?" NO! Finally as we pay the bill, "Peggy, can we pay with visa? NO!!!!
Peggy then informed me, Dad (Tommy Petigrew) never liked dim lights, music, or credit cards.
Wow, what a tribute to Tom Petigrew, he has been gone for years, and years, and he still runs the damn joint!
I love the Petigrew family, and the BEER JUG!

PS: Where else would anyone want to grow up other than Miles City?
BW
supporter
Hey, Kelly, watch it or I'll have my mom go over and kick your behind.
Joshua,
I'm pretty sure you could stop at a teller machine on your way up the hill.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15075) 13 years ago
"Here's telling my age, but I do know it burned while I was in high school. 92-96 It is still a great place, I think everyone misses the barrell chairs!"

Mollie: you are such an "antique".

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 2/26/2009).]
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4457) 13 years ago
I think it burned in '94. Too bad. Food's still great though.
I thought it was a few years before that, Rick. I could be mistaken.
Posted by BeerNut (+61) 13 years ago
Devin Deming attempted to escape from the county jail on 20-MAY-94. The escape was while he was in jail for the arson I think, and he was found not guilty of the arson, but still got nailed for the escape. So I guess the building must have burned prior to that date.

[This message has been edited by BeerNut (edited 2/26/2009).]
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 13 years ago
The day after it burned down a friend and I drove up to check it out and all that was left was one cinder block wall with a pile of firewood stacked against it. My friend, who will remain nameless since I'm about to make fun of him said "That's so ironic". It is, but I was really shocked that he actually knew what ironic meant hehe. Pretty sure it was my sophomore year which would have been 92-93.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4457) 13 years ago
I'm pretty sure I remember attending a friend's and my (future) wife's joint 18th birthday party at the old place, and that being the last time we were there before it burned.

That was early April '94. So, I'd have to guess April or May of '94.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 13 years ago
Never shoulda let that guy out
supporter
Can't someone check old Star papers and put this to rest for good?
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 13 years ago
It could have been '94 too. If it was spring then it was either '93 or '94.
Can't someone check old Star papers and put this to rest for good?

Someone get Commissioner Gordon on the line. We need to turn on ...

... The Bat AMORETTE Signal!
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Matt Smith (+788) 13 years ago
Why not just go up there, eat a bite & ask them.

or

Call them.
http://www.flickr.com/pho...2144759204

For those who haven't been in since it burned...you can see the drastic change in decor. Thanks for the photos Dave.

Just talked to Peg...she said it burned May 3, 1994.
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+403) 13 years ago
Anyone have pictures of how it was in the 70's?

I loved their green olive pizzas. No one else has ever made them like that.