Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3745) 12 years ago
Just to deviate a little from the contention of politics is anybody watching the Oscars tonight? I hate seeing a bunch of whiney Hollywood Celebs fawn all over each other but a couple of people I'm hoping walk away winners tonight are Mickey Rourke for his role in "The Wrestler" and of course the late Heath Ledger for his role in "The Dark Knight".

Other than that I could care less.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5095) 12 years ago
Kyle:

I haven't watched the Oscars since I was 14 and there were only 3 over-the-air channels.

That was a looooong time ago.

There were no remote controls for your TVs, everyone had rotary phones, and I had to walk uphill to and from school.

I'm a big Mickey Rourke fan but have not yet seen "The Wrestler."

Unsolicited movie recommendation - check out "Barfly" from about 1987 with Rourke and Faye Dunaway. Underrated movie based on the life of Charles Bukowski.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 12 years ago
It sounds like you already know watching this television program will be a waste of your time - so why not read a book?
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17055) 12 years ago
I haven't watched the Oscars since I was 14 and there were only 3 over-the-air channels.

Bob L., I think you forgot to add, "and the other two stations were experiencing technical difficulties."
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 12 years ago
Please Stand By
No Adjustment of Your Set is Necessary
This Station is Temporarily Experiencing
Network Difficulties

Posted by Bob Netherton (+1893) 12 years ago
The only movie I've seen that was nominated for anything was Dark Knight. I'd like to see Mickey Rourke win and not some pretty boy like Brad Pitt.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 12 years ago
The humanitarian award was given to Jerry Lewis for all he's done for muscular dystrophy. That alone made it worth watching for me.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 12 years ago
I will say that they should call it the Slumdog Millionaire show though.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17328) 12 years ago
So what did John Wayne win tonight?
Posted by ABC (+381) 12 years ago
Wow, at odds of 99:1 Sean Penn beat Micky Rourke for Best Lead Actor.

ABC

Long live the memory of Harvey Milk!
I thought that Mickey Rourke should've won Best Actor but Sean Penn from all I've seen gave a pretty good performance. I could've done without the speech he made but that's a small complaint.

ABC, how is Milk? It looks pretty good.

Congrats on the Oscar however.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (edited 2/22/2009).]
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9195) 12 years ago
Kyle - you will love Milk. It's kind of like Red Dawn, only replace the communists with homosexuals, and the plucky band of Wolverines with a lone gunman and... wait - it's nothing like Red Dawn. Never mind.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
Haha! That brought a smile to my face after dealing with Jimbo. Thanks!
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2706) 12 years ago
Kyle:

I haven't actually seen either Milk or The Wrestler as they haven't come to Miles City yet. I was just going off the odds. Both are on my Netflix list though.

ABC
Both Harvey Milk and George Moscone were assassinated by some disgruntled San Francisco council member correct?
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2706) 12 years ago
Yeah, his name was Dan White and he was trying to get his job back because he had resigned from the board of supervisors. If you'll recall, this case spawned the "Twinkie Defense." Sorry everyone, I was high on Twinkies.

From Wikipedia:
"In jurisprudence, "Twinkie defense" is a derisive label for a criminal defendant's claims that some unusual biological component factored into the causes or motives of an alleged crime.[citation needed] According to this defense, the biological factor should mitigate the defendant's responsibility, and he therefore should not be held criminally liable for actions which violated the law, or the criminal liability should be reduced to a lesser offense. While biological factors may certainly influence behavior, the label of "Twinkie defense" implies that the specific biological factor is one that most people would view as not being sufficient to account for criminal activity, such as the effects of allergies, minor stimulants such as coffee and nicotine, sugar and/or vitamins."
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 12 years ago
Not to be confused with the Chewbacca defense, of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ca_defense
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 12 years ago
Seems to me a chewin' tabacco defense would probably prove to be very effective in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Texas.

Oklahoma and Arkansas will be added to the list once a jurisprudence system is established in those states.

*** Geez - since this thread is about The Oscars, I nominate it for "Best Example of a Thread Gone Astray"

[This message has been edited by Steve Craddock (edited 2/25/2009).]
Posted by Donna Kingsley Coffeen (+398) 12 years ago
Penn so totally deserved that award. He became Milk in a way that was so mesmerizing. The awards should go for acting talent and Penn has that for sure.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 12 years ago
Agreed - Sean Penn has always immersed himself in the role he plays. The problem to date is that the characters he's played have all been fairly similar. Portraying Harvey Milk gave him a chance to show he could take on a role totally different and still be convincing. Just like when Jamie Foxx literally "became" Ray Charles.

My other favorite contemporary actors (not a complete list by any means) due to the fact that they disappear on screen into the characters they play are:
Johnny Depp - Never plays the same character twice - except for Pirates sequels.
Mark Walberg - plays a longshoreman (Perfect Storm) just as convincingly as a suave high-stakes thief (Italian Job), and I think he deserved an Oscar nomination for his role in Boogie Nights.
Brad Pitt - NOT for his endless roles as Brad Pitt, but for his parts in films like 12 Monkeys, Fight Club, and Snatch where the movie star Brad Pitt completely disappears.