No Surprise - Griffey's A Brave
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 12 years ago
I saw a flash on NWCN here in Seattle and as expected it looks like the Kid is an Atlanta Brave. Rats.

http://www.ajc.com/sports...ab_newstab

On one hand I'm glad that he's going to stay close to home but frankly I'm kind of sick of these games he always seems to play with Mariner fans. This is the second time he's done this crap and it gets old fast.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (edited 2/17/2009).]
admin
founder
Like I said that's what burns me about Griffey. He's pulled this garbage the few times he's come up for free-agency and he does the same thing year after year. He always "Expresses a desire to play for Seattle" but at the last moment signs with somebody else.

Nostalgia is nice but Seattle needs to move forward.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10003) 12 years ago
Well, I don't completely fault him. Spring training is something like 10 minutes away from his home. Atlanta is something like 1 hour away. I think one of his kids has something to do with playing or wanting to play basketball in Atlanta. Etc.

Also, it seems players have a hard time coming to the realization when they don't have it anymore (see Rickey Henderson).

IMO, the Braves were stupid to sign him up for a LF platoon+ position. He's no longer a good fielder. The primary skill he has remaining is batting right handed pitchers. As a career choice, it would have been better for him to DH platoon+ in Seattle, but I guess he chose being around his family more and/or playing in the field -- since it sounds like the deals were probably similar.

Oh well, it's their money. I doubt Junior will ever play for Seattle again, except perhaps for a final 1-day contract type thing so he can retire as a Mariner.
Oh I don't fault him either for wanting to play close to his kids, far from it. What I don't like is the fact that he seems to pull the "I want to finish my career with the Mariners." then plays for some other team game each year.

On another note this may be just a formality thing but I thought this was interesting on MLB.com.

Griffey denies report he chose Braves
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...p&c_id=mlb

Griffey said he heard about the story and sent a text message to Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik and CEO Howard Lincoln, telling them that the report was not accurate.

A little ray of hope for M's fans.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (edited 2/17/2009).]
supporter
Posted by Sarah Peterson (+376) 12 years ago
Oh, just what the Braves need. Shoulda gone to the AL where he could be a DH. Although it was nice to hear of Andruw Jones' success. Ha.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6078) 12 years ago
Honestly, I don't know why any professional athlete would choose to play in Seattle, given the sports climate there. It's certainly not the Happiest Place on Earth for sporting teams.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10003) 12 years ago
The saga continues ...

An Atlanta TV station says he's leaning towards the Mariners:

http://www.wsbtv.com/spor...etail.html

The Seattle Times says he's nearing a deal with the Braves:

http://seattletimes.nwsou...fey18.html
See, this is exactly the type of game I'm talking about. I suppose that it's more the media's fault than anything else but this ping-ponging back and forth is driving me nuts.

Pick one already.
Posted by Dennis Bohlman (+15) 12 years ago
Ken Griffey is far over the hill anyways.. He will never hit better than .250 again, and his homers and rbi's were terrible last year. Especially for someone requesting 9 million a year! Send him to the Yankees so we can watch them crumble!!
Posted by Schmitz - Matt (+404) 12 years ago
Listen up you little bastard! He is not going to the White Sox, so why do you care? (I can say that because he's my nephew) Just kidding dude. If he goes to the Skankees, I might just fall on my sword. And his numbers were not that bad last year. Better than any DH the Mariners had anyway. I just want one more season of glory, asking a lot I know, before he retires. I think he is just the spark the Mariners need to make a jump this year. The crowds will be nuts, his first home run might just bring the building down, and I am a nostalgic old coot, so let this thing happen. One more year is all I ask.
supporter
Posted by Julie (+409) 12 years ago
SKANKEE HATERS UNITE
supporter
Posted by John Morford (+344) 12 years ago
He's back ............... http://sports.espn.go.com...id=3917214
YES!!!!!!

And the Lord said "Let the seats at The Safe be filled"

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (edited 2/18/2009).]
I am so happy I could spit! Hang on! I will be right back .............
.......................... Yahooooooooooooooo!!! This team finally did something right in the off season. Now if Carlos Silva could just throw strikes, we might be ok. I am not asking for a miracle, although I am in possession of a Mariners - World Series win ticket. The odds were 100 - 1. Worth a twenty any day. Strange things happen in the show these days.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1882) 12 years ago
Who cares if Silva throws strikes? He lost 35 pounds so at least he'll look better throwing balls! Now I hope Griffey has a good year....no big injuries, a few homers, some little effective DHing, plus I hope to hell he's not on "the list".
I love that Griffey is coming back home. Although he isn't what he once was it's gonna be one great year at The Safe.

BTW, Webmaster is there a way to wrap the text in this thread around so it's not so expansive?
Posted by Andy Marum (+37) 12 years ago
I was at "game 5" in '95 and will never forget watching 24 round third in the bottom of the 11th. He is the greatest Mariner of all time and I couldn't be more thrilled to see him return home.
supporter
Posted by Julie (+409) 12 years ago
I was there also Andy. WOW. I have goosebumps as I type this.

The place was electrified. Everyone was hugging and screaming and so blown away. WOW.

Gotta go. I'm on my way to my spare closet to dig for my Junior Jersey's.
lol
Posted by Andy Marum (+37) 12 years ago
I was hoarse for a week after that night.
Posted by Dennis Bohlman (+15) 12 years ago
As much as i hate to say it, I am convinced that Ken Griffey Jr. and Frank Thomas were the last of the real baseball players! Let the steroid era Commence.