Posted by LLE (+46) 13 years ago
What is everyones response on the light sentence for murdering the burro's? Do you think it was enough?
Posted by Jody K (+114) 13 years ago
The $1000 restitution is horrible. That makes them like $200 a piece. I am sure the owners think they are worth a lot more than that.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1886) 13 years ago
There were no punitive damages tacked on? No jail sentence?
supporter
Posted by VictoriaLynn (+288) 13 years ago
We have a sick system
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2736) 13 years ago
"We have a sick system"

Although our system has its faults, it is still the most egalitarian system.

[This message has been edited by Kelly (edited 2/14/2009).]
Posted by bh (+197) 13 years ago
From what I've heard of Mr. Knippel there is not way in H*** he will abide by the terms of his agreement and if not for this, for something else he will end up in prison. Just like his dear old dad.
Posted by mule train (+1049) 13 years ago
is this about baby crackers parents? did they catch the guy? who was it?
Posted by Chief (+12) 13 years ago
Hello everyone-

Some of the specific information listed above is incorrect, our system is actually quite efficient as well as effective, but rarely perfect. Regardless of the outcome in any individual case, bad things happen and not everyone will be satisfied with the end result.

The juvenile system in Montana, especially authority and purpose, is more than likely misunderstood by a vast majority of the general public. Anyone wishing to learn more about the juvenile system and or wishing to express frustration with it is more than welcome to contact me.

I prefer not to carry out a lengthy correspondence on the world wide web. This specific case is sensational and highly publicized and I do not wish for small amounts of information here and there to fuel any speculation and rumor.

My office is in the Emergency Operating Center across the hall from County Health or you may call me (406-874-3418). This is a sincere offer and I look forward to fielding your questions and concerns.

Matt Phillips
Chief Juvenile Probation Officer
Montana Supreme Court- 16th JD

[This message has been edited by Chief (edited 2/15/2009).]
Posted by BeerNut (+62) 13 years ago
No amount of double talk changes the fact that it's pretty clear that the ball was dropped here.

The punishment didn't fit the crime.
Posted by Bob Netherton (+1886) 13 years ago
Give him a call, Beernut.
And that would accomplish what? He has no control over the situation, just another cog in the machine of a system that failed.
Posted by Chief (+12) 13 years ago
I understand the disgust toward the acts in this case, though I believe you are off target making it personal with me.

My office is not responsible for handing down dispostions in formal Youth Court cases, though we do give out dispositional requirments in the informal process. However, we are in charge of enforcing the formal order.

We cover seven counties within th Sixteenth Judicial District and one of our biggest problems is the misunderstanding of the Youth Court Act and the miscommunication that comes with serving such a large area.

My invitation was simply that, an invitaion to contact someone who may be able to answer questions and or concerns about the system. Questions don't have to be related to this case either.

May I ask that someone who knows how to do it, put the Miles City Star article from Fridays edition on here? Thank you in advance.

FYI- we will not be in the office on Monday.

supporter
I don't believe this was made personal toward Chief. This is a blog, that's what we do. I said it is a sick system. Maybe I stated that wrong.....what I meant was, the officers and many worked their butts off for months, the community was involved, so many people followed this heartbreaking real life story. To see on the front page that one is let go with a fine was and is a slap in the face. Yes, if he gets in trouble again, he will go to jail. Does that mean he can go shoot someone or another animal, then he will really be in trouble and go to jail. Yes, he is free to do basically what he wants. My heart goes to the Loomis's and to the dedicated officers that worked this case. "Sick system" means (to me) that he plea bargained, got off. It's sad, very sad.

Chief, you jumped in stating the legal system and for anyone to come talk with you or call and you would explain it. First, it's nice that you have so much time that one can drop in and visit. Second, the end result is still the same. Maybe you didn't like the sentence, maybe you did. The end result is still the same. Let whoever wants, state their feelings without giving us more legal jumbo. Thank you.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9297) 13 years ago
Short Victoria: I didn't like the verdict and all that legalese would just get in the way of my outrage, so please STFU.

I realize that nothing short of the death penalty will satisfy some peoples need for redress in certain situations - but what was the actual charge?
supporter
"Short Victoria: I didn't like the verdict and all that legalese would just get in the way of my outrage, so please STFU.

I realize that nothing short of the death penalty will satisfy some peoples need for redress in certain situations - but what was the actual charge?"

YOU TELL ME TO STFU FOR WHAT? FOR TELLING PEOPLE TO EXPRESS OPINIONS AS THE BLOG STARTED OUT - BUT THEN WHEN CHIEF BECAME INVOLVED, IT BECAME QUIET.

YOU DEFINETLY HAVE AN ANGER PROBLEM AND SHOULD LOOK INTO THAT. PUT IT WHERE IT BELONGS. DEAL WITH IT.

AS FOR THE CHARGES - Why the hell would you care?
supporter
Because the charges will determine what the range of penalties are.

In Idaho, animal cruelty is (or was) a misdemeanor (it may have been fixed), so there would have been minimal jail time involved. I don't know what the situation is in Montana, but that's why the charge is important.

Generally these types of threads become a forum for people to bitch that the penalty wasn't harsh enough, or to second guess the judge, or whatever. Chief offered to explain to anyone who was interested youth sentencing in general and this case in particular - Both you and BeerNut said thanks, but we'd rather revel in our ignorance.

As for anger management... who's yelling here?
Hey, Bridgier. GFY!
supporter
Dude, if I could do that, you certainly wouldn't see me posting on mc.com. Youtube, maybe...
supporter
The sentence is over, done deal. Everyone has their own opinions and belief system. Nothing is going to change the end result.

Seems like every time I start reading a blog, it ends up people calling each names. Bridgier, I do not appreciate you referring to me as ignorant. YOU do not know me or were you perhaps looking in the mirror?

[This message has been edited by VictoriaLynn (edited 2/18/2009).]
supporter
"Chief, you jumped in stating the legal system and for anyone to come talk with you or call and you would explain it. First, it's nice that you have so much time that one can drop in and visit. Second, the end result is still the same. Maybe you didn't like the sentence, maybe you did. The end result is still the same. Let whoever wants, state their feelings without giving us more legal jumbo. Thank you."

In other words, you don't want to talk to anyone who might actually know anything, and you'd kindly prefer that person to go away and quit bothering the rest of us.

I'm really not trying to call you any names or whatever - I guess I don't understand the hostility towards "Chief" when he's trying to be helpful.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1650) 13 years ago
GFY = Good For You.

That's a nice complement. Thanks for playing nicely.

FH
supporter
Posted by mule train (+1049) 13 years ago
Verdict aside....what a bunch of loosers! G.D. burro killers. They should not only hang their heads in shame, they should leave town. They don't have a chance to amount to a pile of shat staying in Miles. For the rest of their lives they will be known as the m.f.ing mule killers. Who's going to hire them? You want those boys working for you? My advice to those boys, pay your fines...do what you gotta do...and get the hell out of town as fast as you can, and never come back. We all make mistakes, but some mistakes are worse than others. Good luck.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 13 years ago
Since we're all whining, let me add to it a bit. Just a general complaint about something that people do here all the time. Not everyone that reads this board reads the Star every day, or listens to whatever radio station that you do, or gossips with the same people that you do on the phone every day. Heck, half the regular posters don't live in MC. So when you post a topic like this, it would be nice if you said...

"What do you think of the fact that Corey Knippel was committed to seven years in the Department of Corrections, with the sentence stayed, provided that he pay $1,000 in restitution, $750 of it today, and a fine of $500 for the shooting of six burros last April.?"

...rather than saying "what do you think of the light sentence?" when probably most of the people reading here have no idea what it was.

/whine off

EDIT: Oh, and the charge was "Felony Criminal Mischief" according to http://www.milescitystar.com.

It should also be noted that Mr. Knippel has already spent 275 days in jail while awaiting trial.

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (edited 2/18/2009).]
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4454) 13 years ago
I can hardly blame the guy (was it a kid?) his name is Knippel
supporter
and it's not pronounced ni-Pell
Posted by Amber (+216) 13 years ago
I just wanted to have a little light shed on this ordeal with Mr. Knippel. He was sentenced monday, April 20th. but is still walking the streets. For such a heinous crime(where are this boy's morals?), why is he getting off so easy. He not only committed this crime but many other crimes in the Miles City area and has an extensive juvenile record.

Could someone please explain to me why his case was taken so lightly while it was devasting to the community
supporter
I imagine the Chief's offer is still open... or was this just the usual prelude to sending out the call for torches and pitchforks?
not trying to indulge in another online battle of the wits. I just don't understand what this 7 years stayed means. I'm assuming a suspended sentence, but not quite sure, i jsut wanted somebody to elaborate on it.

Thanks
Posted by Lorretta Hagemeister (+63) 13 years ago
You are correct Amber, it means he is on probation for seven years. If he messes up in that seven years he is supposed to serve the rest in jail. No drinking, no firearms. We will see what happens.
thank you for clearing that up for me. He used to work at our my workplace and swore up and down he didn't do it and it makes me sick to think that i stuck up for him and he was the one that was the culpret
Posted by Jody K (+114) 13 years ago
I am not sure when the other are supposed to be sentenced but we will have to wait and see what they get.
Posted by urcrackinmeup (+140) 13 years ago
Levi had the post of the day... a little more info to start with helps immensely for lots of folks. I still haven't read the story since I don't see it online. And you were out of line Bridgier...
supporter
Eh- he'll be in jail soon - an idiot that does this dóesn't last another seven years - hope nobody is in the way next time
Posted by Jennifer Johnsgard (+34) 13 years ago
The goal of the juvenile justice system is rehabilitation - not punishment.
Posted by mercy me (+132) 13 years ago
Don't think they met that goal with this one.
supporter
I don't think I was necessarily out of line - look at how this thread started, and the general tone of Amber's initial post. If people want to know more about the juvenile justice system in general, and maybe something about why this case ended up with the particular sentence that it did, then they can contact Chief, who has offered to talk with anybody interested in the above.

If people want to bitch about how the sentence wasn't harsh enough, or what a worthless POS this juvenile is, or whatever, then they come to MC.com.

Jennifer - you're talking to the wrong crowd about rehabilitation vs punishment.

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (4/23/2009)]
Posted by Jennifer Johnsgard (+34) 13 years ago
Bridgier,

I am just pointing out that the way the system actually works and the way people who are not directly involved in it think it should be, differs greatly.
supporter
Yep - the way it works is we wait until he's an adult and reoffends - he will reoffend, then throw the book at him - like I said, hope no one is standing in the way next time he's shooting.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (4/23/2009)]
the funny thing about this situation is that Mr. Knippel was a juvenile when this crime was commited but turned 18 a mere 5 days later and he was actually serving time in jail because of an arrest that had something to do with intimidation of kids mocking him for killing the donkeys, later to be charged with the crime. As far as I'm concerned he should have been considered an adult
Posted by Lorretta Hagemeister (+63) 13 years ago
On a happier note Crackers is fat and sassy and doing great. She is with the other two donkeys Soot, and Milly. She misses having people around her all the time, but is adjusting well to her new home. I am so glad my mom and dad had her to help get over the ones that were lost.