Ahh, real Barbeque!
Posted by Lee Akers (+269) 15 years ago
The new Barbeque in the old Chamber of Commerce Building. Hurray, real Food! Try it you'll like it. No, you'll love it.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14303) 15 years ago
Lee: "old Chamber of Commerce Building" ?? Next to the theater or in the building at 519 main? I would enjoy some good barbeque. Do they have slot machines, yet. MC need a place or two to eat where you are not serenaded by the "one arm bandits".

PS: MC ought to start a "come see the silver mines" (slot machines- don't tell the unsuspecting) promotion.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10505) 15 years ago
The OLD Beacon Carter Cafe building, across the street from Riverside Park. THAT old Chamber building. I wonder, is our CoC run by gypsies. They do seem to wander. . .

Amorette--who plans to eat there as soon as my chapped lips heal. Good barbecue can be murder on chapped lips.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14303) 15 years ago
Thanks for the info!
founder
supporter
The folks at Bodacious Barbecue have been overwhelmed by the response of Miles City diners. We got there a little before six and they ran out of food. We got some of the last of the ribs and then they had nothing. The other potato dish is pretty good. I'd recommend either calling ahead, going early or being prepared for disappointment. I don't think they are quite up to speed on delivery yet, either. Still, nice decor and give 'em some time, I think they'll be a valuable addition to town.

Amorette
supporter
Posted by Van (+567) 15 years ago
$10 for a pound of ribs. It was over a rack and I gorged myself. They are the best ribs in Montana. Wait for them to iron out the kinks and they will roll. Why? Because they are bringing you one product and doing it well.
founder
supporter
I think once they get enough food and actually hire some help (just depending on family doesn't really work when they are swamped the way they have been. Some folks who got there before us didn't get to eat because they were waiting for the waitress to come to their table and the lone adult out front was too busy with walk ins and phone in orders to wait tables) and figure out how to dispense the sauce on take out orders (the ribs are pretty dry with no sauce), they'll be making a fortune and pleasing folks.

Amorette
supporter
Posted by Van (+567) 15 years ago
Maybe they should just close the doors and do carry out and delivery only. It works for a little place in Billings.
Ya gotta go there. inhale the aroma. enjoy the ambience, taste the food. Hot, right from the cooker.

What I say on the commercial I cut for them to run on AM-770, is from my heart.

They are lovely people. Support 'em. Bug 'em for some Community Coffee.

Lee
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3214) 15 years ago
"WHERE'S THE BEEF?" That has been my question since opening the doors. The explaination was, "the brisquets were too small and fat, we're waiting for better beef. I applaude them for not serving inferior meat.

My first meal was a sliced pork sandwich, chips and beans. The beans were excellent. The pork was not sliced thin enough for my taste, served room temperature on a room temp bun with tepid and commercial tasting sauce and I will never understand the small cup of mayo on the side. On the up side, the pork had a terrific mesquite flavor and the service was frantic but good. I suspect that opening day was overwhelming as the joint was jumping.

A DIFFERENT STORY

Glenna and I went for a rematch last night, still no beef but a promise for tomorrow. We both ordered the ribs and I had sausage as well. The meat was served hot, smokey and delicious. The squeeze bottles of sauce came warmed and tasted more authentic. The dinner was served with bread, beans (yummy), onion (more please), potato salad and new red potatos. I found the two potato side a tad odd. Service was efficient, friendly and still a touch frantic. The place was packed. All in all everything was exponentially better than our first visit. I got involved in a conversation with an artist friend on the way out the door and even forgot to pay. When I returned with the requsite funds the owners wife saw me coming through the door with a sheepish grin on my face and said "I knew you would be back".... Yes, I will.

I hold great hope for Bodacious BBQ. It will be a nice change to support an eating establishment in MC that actually makes an effort. Oh! I almost forgot, no stale ash tray odor or the sound of DING, DING, DING despairation in the background.
Posted by tracy pask (+83) 15 years ago
My husband and I decided to try them last night, I am all for supporting a new restaraunt, especially when it's not fast food and something new. I was just a little bummed. I ordered two BBQ Pork sandwiches and was writting the check for the amount when the lady came back to me and said "We are all out of the pork, (there was no beef last night because they received it to late that day) so my only choices then were Ribs or Sausage or Turkey. The ribs were really good, but I really wanted that sandwich. Also, I don't get the slices of bread thing, maybe a role or corn bread would be better. The potatoe salad was awesome, love the red onion in it. The beans were good too. I was also not getting the fact that they didn't have to-go bags for the containers of food, I had to do a balancing act coming out the door. I also feel that they need to expect a little overhead the first couple of months, and that they will have extra food left over maybe and order more. It was 6:15 p.m. and they were all ready out of several items. I feel as a new customer that if they want people to come back they need to work these kinks out fast, I know I will only go a couple of times and if they don't have what I want the next time, I most likely wouldn't go there again.
founder
supporter
Tracy,

The sliced bread is a southern thang. It is traditionally for "soppin' up the plate". I, for one, am addicted to Southern BBQ, particularly Texas and Louisiana style and hope they continue the tradition. The addition of cornbread would also be good. I suspect they have underestimated the enthusiastic response to a family style restaurant in MC.

I hope you can forgive them the start up fits and jumps. They have spent a few bucks getting that place going and are running it themselves.

I remember eating at a new local place that I won't mention (between Video Library and Ranch and Home). The first meal we got there was wrong and sent back, returned wrong again, the food was cold, the service was slow and it was a little spendy. Not too bad but a little. after five years all of the above is still true excpt they have raised the menu prices five times. Now you can get a hamburger, slow service and only pay $8.00.
Posted by MCGirl (+295) 15 years ago
I think we all expect too much right away--perfect food, perfect service, perfect everything. Opening a business is hard work, especially when it's in a touch and go place like Miles City. We love to try new things; so does the rest of the town. The novelty will wear off, things will slow down, and then give them a chance. So they ran out of beef--this happens with fresh food and high demand! The ribs are FANTASTIC. Every single restaurant in the world is packed the first few days or weeks and of course the wait staff gets overwhelmed. When I waited tables, I too got frustrated with customers who were demanding and ungracious while we worked out the kinks of a new business. Give 'em a break! No wonder nothing survives here--who could with such high expectations? I, for one, will certainly give them my repeat business and the benefit of the doubt.
founder
supporter
Here, Here!!
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1668) 15 years ago
Well spoken MCGirl. We enjoyed the experience on Saturday afternoon, and will definitely be back.
founder
supporter
Finally, I got the beef. I went for lunch today, arrived ten minutes before noon and got my order in. The side little garnish on the plate seems to change. Today it was onion (again, more please) and a couple of pickle slices. All in all not bad. The beef has the tastey, slow smoked, hickory flavor as do the other meats. The beans are steady, hearty and well seasoned. I am really happy with the chip selection, Dutch Crunch, I think. For .99 you get a big enough bag to share, a vast improvement over most sandwich places where you pay .69 for six or seven greasy Lays potato chips in a bag.

For my tastes, I would like to see the beef served at a higher temperature, sliced about half as thin and a warm bun. The heated sauce is much better. I like mine a little spicier but realize that is not across the board for most folks.

Service was good and the place was packed by 12:15. "To go" seemed to be flying out the door as quick as they could put it in a paper bag. I wish the best for this hard working family.

OK, I have gained 4 pounds on this BBQ quest so I should take a week off. Maybe a salad is in order........Nah!
founder
supporter
Finally, I got the beef. I went for lunch today, arrived ten minutes before noon and got my order in. The side little garnish on the plate seems to change. Today it was onion (again, more please) and a couple of pickle slices. All in all not bad. The beef has the tastey, slow smoked, hickory flavor as do the other meats. The beans are steady, hearty and well seasoned. I am really happy with the chip selection, Dutch Crunch, I think. For .99 you get a big enough bag to share, a vast improvement over most sandwich places where you pay .69 for six or seven greasy Lays potato chips in a bag.

For my tastes, I would like to see the beef served at a higher temperature, sliced about half as thin and a warm bun. The heated sauce is much better. I like mine a little spicier but realize that is not across the board for most folks.

Service was good and the place was packed by 12:15. "To go" seemed to be flying out the door as quick as they could put it in a paper bag. I wish the best for this hard working family.

OK, I have gained 4 pounds on this BBQ quest so I should take a week off. Maybe a salad is in order........Nah!
See, ah done tol' youns itz good. Fo mah taster, they ain't nothin as guud as suth'un cookin.

Y'all come back neow, heah?

Lee
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+373) 15 years ago
Had some excellent ribs delivered in less than 15 minutes from the time of my phone call.Great food-Great service.
Posted by Brady Stone (+18) 15 years ago
I am going to die choking on there great ribs. They are fantastic. Put a little hot sauce on the smoked ribs and life is good.
Brady
founder
supporter
Hell, I knew I was lieing when I said "I was going to have a salad".

I went back today and had the sausage sandwich. The bun was warm, the sauce was right, the meat was perfection. I had to stop and oil the hinge on my tongue to keep myself from beating myself to death. Once I was eating so hard my tongue flew out of my mouth and slapped my eyes shut.

It was good! I'll tell you what.
Posted by Mike Bonner (+10) 15 years ago
First Thanks alot for all of the postive & negative responses. We will never be perfect or I would become a millionaire. We are very happy that so many people are pleased with us. We have gave 110% and we won't stop trying. We do things different and always will. We are simple people, we have a simple idea, COOK GREAT BAR-B-Q, use real wood, have a nice atomosphere, with the best service we can provide. We will always go out of our way to please each and every person. Due to the overwelhming response; we keep running out of food which some people dont understand smoking on a pit. It takes a lot of work and wood. My Advice get there early.
founder
supporter
My friend Marshall has been reading this post and called me the other day. He wanted to talk about the great experiences he has had so far at Bodacious BBQ. He has only eaten "in" once but has gotten into the habit of ordering take out so he can make two meals out of it. Not a bad idea unless you are my size. I would make two of my friend. That is not to say I would eat twice as much but I probably do.

Our conversation turned to the Mom and Pop rib joints we had frequented in Texas and Louisiana. As we talked we both agreed that we remembered the same nagging problem. If you didn't get there early they would be out of some things but what you got would be lip smacking good. That's what keeps you coming back and remembering those places years later.

The smell of fresh paint and drywall is being rapidly replaced by the aroma of Hickory smoked BBQ. Yep, I went again today, out of beef again (I like beef) but the chopped pork was fine as frog fuzz. I think this is starting out to be one of those places I will remember.
founder
Posted by Rick Goff (+69) 15 years ago
Hmm, I may have to make a trip back to MC to check this place out.
founder
supporter
We chatted with Mr. Bonner just before they ran out of food around seven. He has found a new beef supplier, Tucker, and hopes in the next week or so to have good brisket. I agree with his philosophy that it is better to offer no food than food that isn't up to standard. He also mentioned help problems. You know, hiring teenagers who figure if they are AT work, that counts as work. The concept of actually WORKING is beyond them. Maynard G. Krebs lives!

They will continue to experiment with sides and other things as the bumps smooth out. They have been stunned by the response. They thought it would start slow and build. Ha. They don't know how desperate we are for something decent and different here in old Milestown.

Steve still hasn't gotten sausage but we'll be going back again and again.

Only downside. . .burping clouds of smoke. Yum. Good smoked food takes HOURS and they make everything, even the sides, so you must be patient.

Amorette
Got a message from Mr. Mike today. He got beef in. You can bet you'll see me and my bride at his tables tonight.
Dang! Got off work, collected the bride, and headed down to the BBQ. It was 8:00 PM, and they were just closing. Had run out of meat. I think i have discovered the reason behind the expanding girth of one of my musician friends.

It is good to hear that they are doing such good business. Hope they keep it up. We ended up going to the Boardwalk. They have a wonderful rib steak.

Maybe next time I'll get there at 4:00 PM, before everybody gets off work, and I'll get some grub. Something about the early bird getting the..... Barbeque.
founder
supporter
Lee, you hit the nail on the head. Glenna and I were there about 5:30. We ate your BBQ. Better luck next time. Oh, I could say that "girth" comment hurts but it is not as painful as the strain that my belt is putting on my smoke filled mid section. It is a good hurt though.
Posted by gypsykim (+1553) 15 years ago
I've had takeout a couple of times and there is plenty of food to eat. I like the pork and haven't tried the beef. I wish there was coleslaw instead of potato salad. If you order the meal you get potatoes, potato salad, bread and beans. I'd rather have cole slaw than potato salad. Overall, I am loving it and will definitely be back. I hope there is enough food tomorrow night--I have family in town and want to take them after 6:00 Mass. It sounds like I need to try the sausage.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+14867) 15 years ago
Now, now, Amorette, I happen to know one of the teenagers who works at the barbecue joint and can vouch that he is a hardworking soul who can get up hours before dawn to go hunting. Now his hunting partner, who is in his mid 40s, operates his own business in MC and shall remain nameless, now there is a slothful and indolent individual.
It's southern Barbeque. Coleslaw is yankee food.
Posted by Brady Stone (+18) 15 years ago
Coleslaw? Oh my God. A pound of real smoked ribs. Slow cooked to perfection. Wh has room for Coleslaw? Yuk.
founder
supporter
Posted by Jack McRae (+358) 15 years ago
I'm hoping to be in Miles City towards the end of this week. If I give you a heads up on the date could you detain Tucker somewhere that day so that he can't go eat and there will be some ribs left for me?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+14867) 15 years ago
I would beg to differ with Lee. Although I haven't ate there, from the discussions here they would seem to serve southwestern barbecue.

Southeastern barbecue very definitely has coleslaw. The quintessential barbecue in Memphis (I spent a week there in 1995) involves hickory-smoked pulled pork shoulder piled onto the bottom of a giant white Wonderbread-style hamburger bun, sauced up liberally with a vinegar-based hot sauce (no tomato, please), topped off with coleslaw (not the yuccky sweet mayonaissey stuff but again, very vinegary), finally with the hamburger bun top.

It must be consumed with two hands. The vinegar oozes into the bun turning it soggy, but that only contributes to the overall quality of the sandwich. You have to use the cheap white bread buns - I have tried whole wheat buns and kaiser rolls, and they just don't work. I make these a couple of times a year and they always get rave reviews.
founder
supporter
Steve's Carolina barbecue--which he started making after a visit to South Carolina--involves smoking a pork butt after coating it with a rub, then shredding the pork ("pulling" it), mixing it with the vinegar based sauce and serving it on a bun with, yes, coleslaw. That is very much traditional "southern" cooking, just a different part of the south. Great stuff, too, although it gives me such heartburn. . .

Barbecue varies a whole lot depending on where you are.

Amorette
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1468) 15 years ago
Hello, I've found the discussion of Bar-B-Q very interesting, and by the way I am Tucker's friend Marshall (originally from southeast Texas) that uses the take out route at Bodacious. I like all the meats but probably prefer the chopped pork, and I certainly do not want to compete with Lee and Tucker for the brisket. I really enjoy their style of Bar-B-Q, and yes there are many styles depending upon which part of the USA or Mexico you are visiting. My wife and I have enjoyed eating Bar-B-Q in many states and have enjoyed many of the different styles. Interestingly, I have friends from Texas that do not consider the Carolina style with the vinegary taste to be real Bar-B-Q, however, we also like that style.

To be good in my opinion, Bar-B-Q must have a good smoked taste, even without sauce, other wise it is too much like roast with sauce on top. The mesquite wood used at Bodacious with the smoker provides a good taste to all the meats I've tried, and by the way I've tried them all.

Sauces like salsa vary regionally. We all have our preferences, and I like the sauce at Bodacious. Some of the sauces from Louisiana can be very hot and might not go over well in Montana. A friend of mine in western Louisiana was in charge of food (Bar-B-Q) at an experiment station field day. He was concerned about having enough food if a larger crowd showed up. The caterer said not to worry, if more people came they would just add a little more 'spice' to the sauce and the folks would eat less, and there would be plenty to go around.

I've rambled enough and must close for now. Just remember, Bar-B-Q is pretty good soul food, so relax and enjoy.

Marshall
Posted by Patti Hughes (+84) 13 years ago
What happened to this great place? I never got the chance to try it?